Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Why doesn't shift+cycle(SELECT) work for fast-browsing named songs?

hurphendalehurphendale PragueBeta Tester Posts: 41

I read in the manual that with numbered songs, you can hold shift while cycling through songs to skip over the variations (eg. 01_1 _2 _3 _4 etc). However this doesn't work with named songs. Why? It can be extremely tedious cycling through named songs as you have to go through all of the saved variations. Shift does nothing.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

That only works for songs that use numerical characters as the name (e.g. 1, 1a, 1b) to skip the alpha revisions.

Now with current firmware where song names that can be typed using the QWERTY keyboard function, it’s easy to skip around by typing what you’re looking for when browsing.

Yeah, that's what the idea is, however in practice this doesn't really end up being so helpful. Consider that you've created a set list "LIVE01, LIVE02, LIVE03" etc. and you've continued to make edits to them- saving as you go. The latest edit might be _23, but if you just type in the name it seems to be undeterministic if it will load the "LIVE01" song or the "LIVE01_23" song. (I've had both happen to me)...

If I'm not incorrectly remembering how the numbered songs work (it's been a while since I used them) holding shift and cycling through them, should behave like the numbered songs, where the latest version is always the one that's loaded (eg. cycling to "LIVE01" will load "LIVE01_23").

I don't see any reason why the shift-cycle functionality is disabled for named songs. It just means indeterministic behavior --- how can you be sure whether you're going to land on LIVE01_23 or LIVE01, in which case you'll need to make sure both of them contain the latest.

Normally if you type the name, LIVE, it should automatically go to the highest number, which is usually the latest revision and most commonly what you want.

Yeah that what I expected as well, but there have been times it has loaded the first version. I don't know in which cases it decides one or the other, but it has happened enough times to be weary of having any versioned names at all.

Well if you find a saved song revision set that consistently jumps to the wrong revision you should send them to Rohan as that sounds like a potential bug.