Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How Do I Delete MIDI info from a Preset Synth?

taktak Posts: 31
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
  1. I connected a controller to the Deluge with the MIDI din cable and use Learn+Audition
  2. I then recorded a legato slide using the controller
  3. Now I press play and hear the music - all is well
  4. At some point, I save the synth preset

However, now the preset seems to include that legato slide somehow. If I just play the note alone, I don't hear the slide - I only hear the solid synth tone. But if I have the track play (i.e. hit the play button or play+record), and play anything, I get the legato slide info baked into whatever note I'm playing.

It took me a while to figure out that this slide seems to be baked into the preset (e.g. I deleted all recorded rows, etc).

So I guess my questions are
1. How do I now remove the midi info instructing a legato slide from the preset? Where is that data buried?
2. Why do I only hear it, or get impacted by it, when the unit is playing/recording, but not if I just play the note alone?
3. Why do I not see the slide visualized by notes on the Deluge - rather I only see one note/row lit up across the layout?

Post edited by tak on

Best Answer

rezareza los angelesPosts: 603
    Answer ✓

hey @tak, turns out there was automation on master transpose. normally that's not set to a specific gold knob, so you wouldn't see it's automation. if you open the master transpose shortcut (SHIFT+MASTER TRANSPOSE) then hold LEARN and then turn a gold knob of you're choice, it will be learned to that knob. when you press play, you'll see that the pitch will be illuminating up and down for that knob. if you ever want to delete a specific automation you will want to set that parameter to a gold knob, from there you can hit SHIFT+(CLICK down on learned gold knob), you'll see a DELETE message appear, it's gone!

part of the confusion was you mentioned legato slide, however it was a pitch bend. legato implies you've messed with the synth mode (mono, poly, legato, etc) and then also the portamento value. no worries though, happy to have tracked this down!

Answers

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

the only thing i can think of rn is that someone the midi controller has saved sequence data on it?? sounds very unlikely, why don't u link to the preset, can figure it out then!

edited April 2022

The controller is MIDI-out only fwiw. Also, the audition pads on the deluge play the slide if I hold the sound down whether controller is present or not at this point. So I can remove the controller that from the equation.

Interestingly, after powering the unit on and off, and now playing the preset, I don't hear the slide anymore.

When you say link to the preset, do you mean post the XML file? I tried to attach but it doesnt seem XML is an approved file type. I have posted it as a text file. But given I don't hear the slide anymore, probably of little use.

Thanks so much for the quick reply Reza!

Post edited by tak on

hey @tak, ah understood. well it seems something weird was going on, like a phantom note was being held on playback which would make any note pressed have the slide?

yeah, unfortunately upload options are limited on the forums, but if you uploaded the XML file to some website like google drive, dropbox, etc, i could still investigate to see if we can replicate the issue.

cheers

edited April 2022

Okay just monkeying with this more.

I can get the issue to occur by loading up the sequence/track I made, pressing play, and hitting the audition pad of the Synth in question.

If I just hit the audition pads without the sequence in play or play+rec mode, nothing slides.

Is it somehow in the sequence then?

(I think I have attached the XML as a text file
    Edit: text isnt attaching maybe cause its code. Will try to attach as PDF.
    Edit: that doesnt seem to work either...hmmm)

Post edited by tak on

And if I load a different synth preset - and press play - no slide.

So it seems like it needs the specific preset plus the specific sequence to replicate.

Amazing you can figure that out, despite my bad terminology. (On a guitar, hitting one note and sliding to another is a legato slide so apologize I used the wrong term in this world).

I was able to follow your instructions and remove the automated pitch bend (after spending a while location master transpose ; ). Thank you.

Now the question I have is - given that I didn't assign anything to gold knobs, or even knew of the master transpose, or record any automation via the Deluge itself, how would this kind of thing be reproduced? Is there a way that the midi controller can somehow send this and it embed itself into a sequence data while recording?

My pitch bend was all done via the midi controller. I pressed record on the Deluge and played the midi controller. I tried to delete what I recorded as my timing was off, but that pitch bend remained and hence my initial question.

Thanks so much for not only the troubleshooting but this helps with learning the Deluge at the same time.

no problem! ah yeah that makes sense with the guitar thing, no worries at all.
    yeah basically any parameter on your midi controller that is adjusted during recording will be recorded alongside the notes (if it's assigned to something!). with the deluge, you have to just use your ears to be like "hmm sounds pitch related" or "hm sounds like the lfo is doing something weird" and then learn it to a gold knob to track down and delete. it's all dependent on what your midi controllers knobs and wheels are set to though. so i imagine usually pitch bend will be the most common thing unless you manually assign different things on the deluge to different knobs on the controller.

Thanks @reza (and nice music on your soundcloud btw - really nice sound)

So is it correct to say that if I record from my MIDI controller to the Deluge, the Deluge is recording/capturing both the notes & (controller-sent) automations (albeit seperately). If I delete the notes, the automations (like a pitch bend) are still "in the sequence" even though their associated notes are gone?

And if so, is that also true of velocity? Would that carry over even after deleting the notes and need to be cleaned up?

ah thanks tak!

yes that is true, however, it will only record automation data of things that have been deliberately assigned. generally pitchbend is universally recognized without the need of assigning on the deluge (or other hardware). i imagine other knobs on your controller won't have any automation recording happen since they aren't assigned to anything yet. but yes these things will remain even after you clear out the notes.

with velocity during recording, it will actually be completely wiped when deleting notes. velocity values are stored on a per note basis and not as an automation that you can record.

also if you'd like to check out the deluge discord (https://discord.gg/t9fcjuuDkx) it's a great place to get quick questions answered as they come up!