›
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multisampling Hack using a DAW

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Very well done! So simple and useful. Also your videos are always a treat, I enjoyed this :) Thank you for sharing!
    Oh and would you mind sharing the soft piano multisample you created? ;)

@Heptagen said:
    Very well done! So simple and useful. Also your videos are always a treat, I enjoyed this :) Thank you for sharing!
    Oh and would you mind sharing the soft piano multisample you created? ;)

Thanks for your positive support! The Multisample set wasn't worth saving (I deleted it), simply because each piano note was just about 2 seconds long. I just created it for the video......If you're really interested, Let me know, and I'll create a better one for you.....

mattchmusicmattchmusic Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 3

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

I use the autosampler feature in MPC Beats, works pretty well.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@mattchmusic said:
    Great video! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for watching

@volsteh said:
    I use the autosampler feature in MPC Beats, works pretty well.

Yeah, there's some great software out there for automated multisampling, (like Sample Robot) but I thought I'd share this, because it's free.....

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

Great workflow walkthrough!

You can do the same mark-and-split export thing using labels in Audacity (truly free). Heck, if your audio is clean enough, as it is here, you can auto-split-on-silence and not even have to worry about marking them all up.

Which is just to say, the particulars of software side of things shouldn't prove limiting.

@hexagon5un said:
    Great workflow walkthrough!

You can do the same mark-and-split export thing using labels in Audacity (truly free). Heck, if your audio is clean enough, as it is here, you can auto-split-on-silence and not even have to worry about marking them all up.

Which is just to say, the particulars of software side of things shouldn't prove limiting.

Very good points, all. I recently got an email from Thomas, the inventor of Twisted Wave, telling me that, in the latest software revision, there is a new feature, which helps to automate this....... I've also been connected via email to this dude Christian, in Berlin, who is the creator of Sample Robot, which automates this whole process - is very powerful, and also allows for sustain loop points, etc., but I thought, for the purpose of this YouTube video, I'd keep things simple, as I tend to blab on a bit sometimes........I do appreciate your supportive words, though - thanks!

Radius9999Radius9999 Felton, CABeta Tester Posts: 46

I use MPC Beats also (because it's free) to make mutlisamples and works with internal and external synths. But I just came across this app in the IOS store, which is not free, but cheap enough. It looks to be even simpler to create mutlisamples. I haven't tried it though.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/synthjacker/id1445018791

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

I use MPC Beats too, although not often enough. Every time I come back to it I forget which parts of the interface I need to use. It feels silly having such a huge piece of software just for one function.

There are definite advantages to @Will's method too, especially if you automate the region splitting and exporting bit at the end. The main advantage is being able to tweak softsynth parameters are you record, for extra variation across the note range.

@Alder_Dice said:
    I use MPC Beats too, although not often enough. Every time I come back to it I forget which parts of the interface I need to use. It feels silly having such a huge piece of software just for one function.

There are definite advantages to @Will's method too, especially if you automate the region splitting and exporting bit at the end. The main advantage is being able to tweak softsynth parameters are you record, for extra variation across the note range.

There are actually lots of other options out there, including Sample Robot, by Christopher in Berlin, allows loops and all sorts of other features as well..........

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

@Will said:

@Alder_Dice said:

There are actually lots of other options out there, including Sample Robot, by Christopher in Berlin, allows loops and all sorts of other features as well..........

Sample Robot is the premium choice for sure.

I've never looked to deep into any of that software. Nice to know that it exists, however, being that the Deluge does not have options like sample crossfades, etc., I figured there wasn't much point exploring......

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Alder_Dice said:

@Will said:

@Alder_Dice said:

I haven't looked closely at Sample Robot. How might it be different from something like Logic's Auto Sampler?

@phillipadsmith said:

@Alder_Dice said:

@Will said:

@Alder_Dice said:

I haven't looked closely at Sample Robot. How might it be different from something like Logic's Auto Sampler?

I'm not certain, but I know that it allows you to customize almost every aspect of your multisamples.......

I suspect that there's a reason it's not free or cheap........

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Will said:
    I'm not certain, but I know that it allows you to customize almost every aspect of your multisamples.......

I suspect that there's a reason it's not free or cheap........

I suspect that too, but I'm curious to hear more from if anyone has looked / compared both.

I do a fair bit of multisampling for the Deluge and, to date, I've found that the Logic Auto Sampler is fairly complete (at least for my needs):
    screenshot of Logic Pro X Auto Sampler

But I'm still super-curious to know what I'm missing and/or what might be easier in Sample Robot.

tingeltingel Hamburg / GermanyPosts: 43

Ahoi MultiSampleFreaks... do you know if there is a possibility to keep some notes silent or delete the (wonderfully) deluge-generated notes!? - i know, i could just not play them for keeping ´em silent, but i´d love to have a real sample-clone of an barrel-wheel-organ, where originally some notes are missing ;)

@tingel said:
    Ahoi MultiSampleFreaks... do you know if there is a possibility to keep some notes silent or delete the (wonderfully) deluge-generated notes!? - i know, i could just not play them for keeping ´em silent, but i´d love to have a real sample-clone of an barrel-wheel-organ, where originally some notes are missing ;)

I wish I could help, or offer a suggestion, but I'm not sure how you'd achieve that. Obviously, if we had an on screen programming option, it would be much easier to 'map' dead notes to specific regions, but that's not really an option ....yet. My suggestion is to try and contact one of the helpful and knowledgeable folks who work at Synthstrom.......Perhaps Rohan or Ian.......................Best of luck......sounds v interesting......

tingeltingel Hamburg / GermanyPosts: 43

@Will said:
    I wish I could help, or offer a suggestion, but I'm not sure how you'd achieve that. Obviously, if we had an on screen programming option, it would be much easier to 'map' dead notes to specific regions, but that's not really an option ....yet. My suggestion is to try and contact one of the helpful and knowledgeable folks who work at Synthstrom.......Perhaps Rohan or Ian.......................Best of luck......sounds v interesting......

yeah... i asked and got pretty helpful answers really quick: https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4454/dead-notes-in-a-multisample-synth#latest - still loving the deluge and it´s community more and more each day ;)

@tingel said:

@Will said:

yeah... i asked and got pretty helpful answers really quick: https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4454/dead-notes-in-a-multisample-synth#latest - still loving the deluge and it´s community more and more each day ;)

I've had my Deluge for quite a few years now, and I'm still really digging it. I've uploaded all sorts of other pieces of gear into it (samples), so it keeps getting better......

tamlyntamlyn LondonBeta Tester Posts: 32

Thanks. I've been meaning to try something like this in Ableton.

Given the notes are equally spaced in the recording, is it necessary to manually place the markers? Couldn't you automatically split the audio file into equal chunks using something like this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/283547/37943

I guess I ought to try it and report back...

ZeitfrakturZeitfraktur GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 25

@tingel said:
    do you know if there is a possibility to keep some notes silent or delete the (wonderfully) deluge-generated notes!?

You could edit/replace exactly the sample files that are being assigned to those dead keys:
    If they really need to be silent, just zero out the volume (and shorten their length if your want/need to save space).

ZeitfrakturZeitfraktur GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 25

@phillipadsmith said:
    I do a fair bit of multisampling for the Deluge and, to date, I've found that the Logic Auto Sampler is fairly complete (at least for my needs)

Same here. I highly suggest to use Logic's built in Autosampler. I know the original suggestion was made to be generic to any DAW, but since he is using Logic anyway, Autosampler will do the job very well, including the individual sample file assignments.

@tamlyn said:
    Thanks. I've been meaning to try something like this in Ableton.

Given the notes are equally spaced in the recording, is it necessary to manually place the markers? Couldn't you automatically split the audio file into equal chunks using something like this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/283547/37943

I guess I ought to try it and report back...

I've tried a few different options, like 'split by transients' (in Twisted Wave - which is the primary software I use for all my single audio editing), and the results we're great. I had to go in and redo some of that manually, so I just put in markers...........I'm sure other software will offer different options and results, so give it a shot and see how it works for you..........> @Zeitfraktur said:

@phillipadsmith said:
    I do a fair bit of multisampling for the Deluge and, to date, I've found that the Logic Auto Sampler is fairly complete (at least for my needs)

Same here. I highly suggest to use Logic's built in Autosampler. I know the original suggestion was made to be generic to any DAW, but since he is using Logic anyway, Autosampler will do the job very well, including the individual sample file assignments.

....Good to hear,......thanks

tamlyntamlyn LondonBeta Tester Posts: 32

I tried ffmpeg and it doesn't work. Each sample is a few milliseconds longer or shorter than the requested length which messes up the start of the sample. I think it's something to do with how ffmpeg handles keyframes in videos. Haven't figured out a solution.

However using Audacity is straightforward and almost as quick using "Tools > Regular interval labels..." and then "File > Export > Export multiple...". Full instructions here.

cube48cube48 EUBeta Tester Posts: 24

Another Windows OS autosampling alternative is E-MU's Emulator X. It can be found on archive.org as abandonware. It has all things necessary for autosampling - setting the note ranges, distances, automatic note naming etc. Not mentioning the features that make it one of the best software samplers even today (great FX and of course huge palette of the famous E-MU filters, multitimbrality, multithreading, disk streaming). UI is dated (low-res with no scaling) but everything is making sense once you get into it.