Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Separating synths into folders with Deluge Commander broke multisample associations until rewind

mowshowitzmowshowitz United StatesPosts: 3

A while back I downloaded this TAL multisample pack and have used it in a number of songs in the intervening year plus. Only problem was, the way I navigated through patches was by scrolling, and the Deluge apparently had to load the multisample before letting me land on the voice and change it. This made scrolling through the section where I had the TAL pack pretty miserable. I was just recently reading up about how to correct this and found the Deluge CommanderDeluge Commander. I'd also found this thread here. I interpreted a comment in there about songs storing their unique versions of patches, but deleting samples would cause issues.

So, I decided to organize my XML files in the SYNTHS folder. I stuck all the factory voices in root, bod3, etc., and I stuck the corresponding XML files in each folder. Popped the card back into the Deluge and turned it on. When I started scrolling through the songs, instead of anything playing, the names of voices would crawl across the screen. Importantly (to me at least), both multisamples like the TAL pack and straight synth engine packs like the Boards of Deluge pack I purchased were screwed. In songs which contained the latter, I observed the same behavior as in songs which contained the former. I pulled the card out, rewound everything (sticking all the synth voices back into the root SYNTHS folder), and the associations were restored.

It's clear I've misinterpreted how to properly use DC—can anyone provide any pointers here? One other q: I've seen mention of people navigating the folder hierarchy but I've not found a way to do so mentioned in the manual. Can anyone point out the error of my ways here? Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I hope I’m interpreting your description correctly, but it sounds like you’re moving synth preset xml files into folders at the root level for organization. This is incorrect. All synth presets must be under the SYNTHS folder. In the upcoming 4.0 firmware you’ll be able to create sub folders within the SYNTHS folder for organization. But they still must be under the SYNTHS folder. 3.1.5 and earlier firmware do not allow these kinds of sub folders.

The Deluge Commander software is for sample management. It allows you to move the wav files within the SAMPLES folder into sub folders, still within the SAMPLES folder, for better organization. And it makes sure any presets or songs using those samples are pointing to the new location.

edited March 2022

Hey, thanks for the reply and my bad for being unclear. I was actually creating subfolders w/in SYNTHS, but it sounds like that's not possible ATM until 4.0 (good to know!). I guess I'd gotten the functionality of DC exactly backward :grin: With that said, for the time is there any other way to navigate through synths in the Deluge w/o just incrementing one-by-one w/ the knob? When I get to those TAL voices it's pretty painful.

Also, one last question just for my edification, what's the means of navigating thru subfolders of samples?

Really appreciate your help here!

Post edited by mowshowitz on

In clip view, you can press load + synth and then can type into the QWERTY keyboard to jump to any preset in the SYNTHS folder. The same is true for load + kit for kit presets.
    You can use that to get to whichever presets without scrolling through the TAL presets.

When loading samples into a kit row or synth, it helps to have good folder organization to find the samples you want. Use the browse shortcut to enter the SAMPLES directory. From there you can use the select knob and back button to navigate. You can also press a blank audition pad + load to add a new kit row and enter the browser.

Thank you so much man, you've been a big help.

Happy to help! 👍🏼