β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Headphone impedance

daithidaithi irelandPosts: 1

What impedance headphones work well with the deluge without an amp?

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

Id say no more than 80Ω

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

kbrakbra Helsinki, FinlandBeta Tester Posts: 28
    edited March 2022

So far I have used Sennheiser HD650s at 300 Ω and HD25s at 70 Ξ© - both work fine.

Aside impedance, you'll have to take into account your preferred listening volumes and efficiency of the drivers. Eg. HD25s can easily be driven so loud from Deluge that you'll get permanent ear damage in a pinch, and you'll still have more gain available, whereas HD650s can be driven loud enough to be uncomfortable for prolonged periods - especially if the gain staging is such that the project you're working on has multiple loud parts - but you'll have to turn the volume up a lot more to get to that point.

Plus eg. I'm not sure if the 650s are at their best without a proper amp regarding frequency response and so on, but despite that they're certainly way better sounding and more comfortable in all respects for me for making music at home than the HD25s (that are best for monitoring in more noisy environments), no matter what. So there's that.

Post edited by kbra on