Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to record from the internal mic to a clip track?

oxbandoxband San FranciscoPosts: 2

I know this is very simple....but I can't figure it out. I've been siting for the last 30 minutes with the new Deluge guidebook, and I just cannot figure this out.

I've put down some clips. The song sounds good. I want to put down an audio track of me singing into the internal mic....and I can't figure it out. Help this noob!

Thanks in advance....

Comments

yattixyattix United KingdomPosts: 3

I struggled with this as well. If you're in song view, and you create a new audio clip by holding a pad on a new row and pressing SELECT, then go into that clip, it's just a case of pressing record, then play and it will either start you recording straight away into the mic (if nothing is plugged into LINE IN), or count you in if you've got established tempo.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

If you've already played around with the inputs, you might need to re-learn the input for the audio clip back to "left", or "left." which lets you monitor. (Check that you can hear yourself, mic gain is up, etc.)

markkmarkk Posts: 17

Hi, noob here. I have done everything the previous three posters have described and am unable to consistently record from the internal mic. Last night I successfully recorded from my phone using the line in. I also made some internal mic recordings as well, so I (guess) I understand how to switch the recording source from Stereo to Left, etc. But today I'm having no luck recording from the internal mic, despite following the f.m's instructions, to wit:

• Press [SONG] to switch to song view. Ensure audio input is set and clips are armed.
    • [RECORD], button should be on and illuminate red.
    • Press [PLAY]. Recording will start. Play and record buttons will be lit. All armed clips will record.
    • The red recording cursor will travel left to right across the clip rows
    • being recorded. Audio clips must also be unmuted/green for recording to occur.
    • Recording will be continuous and not be limited by any length. Length is set only when previously recorded or
      existing audio exists when recording within a clip.

• Press [LAUNCH] pad of any clip row to STOP recording. This clip will bearmed to stop at the end of the ‘loop’ of
      the original clip length. The clip will then begin to PLAY back from the start.

Btw, re the last dot point: The only way I can stop the "recording" is by pressing Record. It looks like there's recorded material there until I press Record, then I'm left with nothing.

What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

One thing is to be sure you don’t have anything plugged into the line in or mic in, as those will override the built in mic.

And you’re supposed to use the clip’s launch button in song view to stop recording. Or you can sometimes use record the record or play button, depending on the current conditions. But the mute/launch button is usually the way to go.

Yeah, nothing's plugged in. And I tried using the launch button to stop recording and it had no effect. I just press Record and Play to stop. But nothing's getting recorded.

It feels a bit like maybe the Deluge still thinks there's a line plugged in or something. I will experiment.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993
    edited January 2022

In some cases, record or play button will clear out what was recorded instead of closing the loop. It seems strange the launch button would have no effect. That’s the intended way to close an audio loop.

Are you in arranger mode by chance? (Flashing song button)

Post edited by Too_Mere on

@Too_Mere said:
    In some cases, record or play button will clear out what was recorded instead of closing the loop.

Interesting. I'm not in Arrange. I have a vague memory of the launch button working as expected some time before today. In all probability it's somehow user error.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

closing out an audio clip recording with the launch button only works in song mode so if your inside the audio clip one way to end the recording (and keep it) is pressing play. turning off record doesn't end it nor does hittin where the launch buttons would be.

i generally handle recording an audio clip by song mode for what its worth. it helps to end the clip exactly in time with other clips' end point via the launch button (just have to make sure the audio clip is armed [hold down recording and make sure that track is red]. also if you mess up and undo, the clip is unarmed and you'll have to arm it to red again.

thomasbthomasb BerlinPosts: 7

Hi, not wanting to hi-jack this thread but I'm trying for the same thing.

I've followed the same steps as @markk and, it looks like, I've successfully captured audio (solid waveform showing across the pads).

Only, I cannot hear it back. I've tried resetting monitoring settings to Conditional. Nothing seems to work.

Audio appears to be there but I can't hear it, trigger it, programme it or play it.

Any tips for this super noob, most welcome.

Thank you

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

@thomasb you have a waveform within an audio clip and it's not playing sound? generally that means you need to unmute the clip in song view (2nd to last pad on right should be lit green for the clip you want to hear). things recorded into audio clips do not get triggered or programmed, they just play in a loop which is why there's no way to trigger or sequence it when you're inside an audio clip.

conditional/on/off preview settings are for hearing audio previews when your loading/searching for samples. it's not related to hearing sounds that are already loaded or recorded.