Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Granular Synthesis on the Deluge

I found a way to make the deluge do some granular synthesis, something I have missed since the beginning. Quite funny to me that it was there all along. I hope you find this useful.

Comments

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

<3

might have to sell my microcosm ..

PolyPoly Posts: 7

This sounds great. Thanks for the tip

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 604

great rundown, definitely a good tool to add to the deluge utility belt

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! <3

Brass side of life: JTK

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Very cool! I played around with it last night - a cool way to add some variety is to modulate arp rate (with, say, LFO1).

Also, this method opened up some ideas for using the Deluge as an external FX (similar idea, but with OSC type set to IN), which is how I've been using the Deluge a lot these days :)

TsapioTsapio San RafaelBeta Tester Posts: 21

Oh wow!! This is amazing!!! Is there anything this thing can't do?! Not if you're creative like this! Thank you!

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Thanks for the love everyone! :) <3

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    Also, this method opened up some ideas for using the Deluge as an external FX (similar idea, but with OSC type set to IN), which is how I've been using the Deluge a lot these days :)

Good thinking, but unfortunately changing synth type to "in" doesn't give you a granular effect, because the deluge doesn't buffer any signal to granulate. Every grain just puts out what is put in at this exact moment. The only thing that this does is that the individual grains have different levels and envelopes, giving the signal just a tiny hint of texture, but nothing more. You can try it to hear it for yourself. But keep thinking forward, there may still be some white spots on the deluge map that have to be explored. :)

lectrolooplectroloop CologneBeta Tester Posts: 18

Wouw. B)

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@Heptagen said:
    Good thinking, but unfortunately changing synth type to "in" doesn't give you a granular effect, because the deluge doesn't buffer any signal to granulate.

Indeed! I mostly meant that this method of using the arp has opened up what I can do to incoming audio. I've been thinking if only the Deluge envelopes could loop .. your post made me realize that they can, by using the arp! Arp rate can be modulated and, as in your post, so can each envelope parameter. And since the Deluge can play the notes polyphonically, you're not necessarily just emulating a tremolo effect - it's a bit more interesting, especially when you modulate other parameters with the envelopes.

Anyways, not trying to derail this thread! :) using the Deluge as external FX is something I've been exploring a lot lately.

@Affectionate_Bee_781 Ah I see. Interesting! If you ever make a demo or something that you can share, please do! :)

sl33psl33p CanadaPosts: 6

This is amazing. Made some shit I never thought I would make.

brilliant. thanks for sharing.

solipsistsolipsist Bothell, WAPosts: 5

Neat!

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

Nice work @Heptagen

For a moment I allowed myself to hope that you had figured out a way automate the sample start point, but this is the next best thing!

Thanks for sharing.

@Alder_Dice Haha I feel you. I hope this shows @rohan that he already did most of the work ;) Not that big of a leap anymore towards real granular...

quartznquartzn cape cod, massachusettsBeta Tester Posts: 6

Soh there is no way to modulate ore step sequencer start point ??

@quartzn No. Only by hand in waveform view.

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111

Has anyone got some presets to share? :)

thomasgoepferthomasgoepfer FranceBeta Tester Posts: 4

Super good tip! Thank you so much for this video.
    One question: After resampling, the audio samples have some audio clicks. Perhaps this is due to the normalization process. Is this method CPU intensive? Do you know how to improve the quality?