Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Thinking about picking up the Deluge and have some questions

Hey there! A little about my situation for context: I'm an ex-audio engineer, former employee at Synthesizers.com and Synthrotek, and (until recently) an Ableton Live user. After a years of abusing my body with horrible ergonomics, I've been hit with a bad case of RSI and it's difficult for me to use a mouse for extended periods. I didn't see a lot of options for using Ableton without a mouse/trackpad, so I thought about experimenting with DAWless production. Deluge seems like the best option for this, but I have a couple of reservations:

The screen: I'm actually a 4D7S enthusiast, but I'm worried it'll be horribly limiting - not just in the character limit, but in being able to see several parameter values at once. How much of a problem is this in practice? I'm worried I'll do more damage to my body digging through nested menus on the Deluge than just using a mouse in Ableton. Any rumors of being able to connect to some kind of UI that shows more data at once?

Bouncing tracks: it was almost a hard pass when I realized you couldn't bounce individual tracks or stems easily. Every post I see on the subject says something like "you can't currently bounce separate tracks all at once..." Is the dev team actually working on this or is it just wishful thinking at this point? I imagine I'll prefer to produce with the Deluge and mix separately.

Splitting outputs: so this is wishful thinking on my part, but is there any hope of the CVs/Gates being reassignable as mono outputs in the future? I was pretty surprised that something this expensive just had a single stereo output (well I guess there's the headphones too). Just seems like for performances it'd be preferable to have an output for kick, snare, perc, bass, lead, etc. Also would help with the previous issue, but I wasn't sure if there's a technical limitation that would prevent this.

Thanks! If anyone has other thoughts on why this might not work in terms of ergonomics, I'd love to hear about it.

Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The Screen: I believe the limited screen is intentional. The idea is to get away from screens and to use your ears more. And parameters are quickly accessible by hitting a shortcut on the pads and the display shows its value. The pads themselves function like a screen in some ways, like for sequencing and trimming audio waveforms in waveform view.
    No connectable UI is planned afaik.

Bouncing tracks: I’ve not heard any current plans to change this, but the firmware is always being improved. In the meantime, it’s not that bad recording the stems for mixing. You can resample them right on the unit. Or if recording to a DAW, the arranger view of Deluge syncs its position with the DAW so you can very easily just record measures 17-32 for example for a track if needed.

Splitting outputs: I think this is a technical hardware limitation that cannot be changed. You can hard pan different elements to either channel. I do that for some performances. So it’s just single stereo/two mono.

If these are indeed dealbreakers, I’d look into getting a Push to get away from the mouse but stick with Ableton.
    That said, the Deluge is the BEST gear purchase I’ve made. I own a Push that’s collecting dust. The Deluge has opened lots of creativity for me and I think nothing compares.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited January 2022

Get a AKAI Force. With the new update this thing is crazy. 32 I/O with USB. Also, exports to Ableton if im not mistaken... Bunch of synths and effects... I prefer the Deluge, but based on your points this thing is better suited...

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

..completely different set of muscle/nerve use and extensions using the pads. With your difficulties is important to move in other ways and give those ways a chance to mend. Compression of flesh/nerves from the desk, from the armrest, the scrolling-rolling of the index finger, and the grip on the mouse ..have all contributed. With your injuries you should also realize that the screen is actually a godsend and will help you heal faster and keep you off the mouse. The injury grows out ..but only if you modify what you are doing. I suspect too that your choice of chairs is wrong, that you go for comfort for long periods as opposed to stiffer upright support. Even the way you tuck your legs infront or under will affect your shoulders, your arms, your hands, your neck. You need to heal too, it can really affect your quality of work and yours is precision.

The other things are specific to you, the bouncing, the spitting are decisions that I'm not affected by. But others can likely offer solutions or clever alternatives, the fb page ' Synthstrom Deluge (Open Group) ' is also filled with experiences and ideas. Want to wish you a get well too ..and tell you to look after yourself better.
    ant.