Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to play and record external synths through the deluge ?

FraMtxFraMtx FrancePosts: 3

Hi all,

(Didn’t have the Ask a question button so just created a new thread sorry)

So I recently went full hardware, for the same reasons as everyone here, and bought the Deluge along with a Microfreak and a Minilogue Xd

However I’m a total newbie and I’m really confused trying to figure out how I could connect all of this together

The guy at the music shop advised me to buy a Presonus Studio 68c Interface with 4 audio inputs and outputs to connect my synths to the deluge, which I did, but I’m not sure he quite understood what the deluge is

Can I connect my synths to the deluge using such an interface ? I feel like it’s really weird connecting a soundcard into the deluge, shouldn’t it be the other way around ?

Wouldn’t a patchbay be more appropriate to route my synths into the deluge using 6,35mm audio jacks ?

This whole thing is really confusing to me and any help would be truly appreciated

I looked everywhere on the web for answers but apparently it is so obvious for people that no one is talking about it

What audio interface/gear are you guys using to record your synths into the deluge ?

Best

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Best things to get would be a USB hub, and a mixer or splitter cable. You can hook up your synths to deluge to send and receive MIDI with that. Just make sure to get a USB adapter like the ones sold on the Synthstrom site.

Then a small audio mixer to route audio to the deluge. Or what I use, is simply a small 1/4” stereo splitter cable. That allows you to connect two audio sources and route them to the L and R channels on the Deluge. That would work with your two synths.

Not much reason for an audio interface unless you’re planning to hook up Deluge or synths to your computer/DAW for audio recording.

Thank you very much mate, you’ve really given me light over this whole setup
    The solution you suggested looks much simpler and functionnal (and cheaper too !) I am gonna try it tomorrow
    Just another question about the audio splitter for my information, can I connect both outputs of the minilogue xd (since it has both a L and a R output) to the splitter using a Y cable ? Will I not lose the stereo information from the minilogue coming into the deluge ?

edited December 2021

Also, is a USB splitter cable really necessary for midi ? Couldn’t I just plug the two synths into the hub separately and control them on different midi channels ?

Post edited by FraMtx on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

That’s right about the Y splitter. The Deluge input is a stereo jack so it can take a stereo signal or two mono signals that can be routed to separate clips/tracks.

Yeah no splitter needed. Just need a USB A female to USB B male adapter or B to B cable to connect Deluge to the hub or directly to devices.