Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Parameter knob erratic encoding when turned too quickly.

paqpaq Posts: 4
edited August 2019 in Deluge Help

Hello,

One the the gold knob (bottom one) can't follow the changes when turned too quickly, to the point that I can sometimes decrease values when turning the knob clock-wise Oo).

And I'm not talking about very fast movement :( ... Upper gold knob works fine.

I can live with it, but what would be the options if I want to fix it ? Maybe it's a well know issue ?

Here's a little video about the issue :
https://youtu.be/-0YDLFGmE3o

Post edited by paq on

Comments

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

This is a problem that sometimes happens with these kind of encoders im afraid it may need a replacement

paqpaq Posts: 4

Yup, Anthony (Production Manager) kindly propose me to either repair it, but I have to send the unit back to a US Synthstrom partner. The other solution is to replace the encoder myself (Anthony can send me a new encoder by mail). If anyone knows a good shop for that kind of work in Montreal please let me know, I'm not really confident to do it with my 2 left hands :sweat_smile:

weasel_spatulasweasel_spatulas HelsinkiBeta Tester Posts: 9
    edited March 2021

I'm having the same exact troubles, except on the upper gold pot.
    Device less than two years old and seen fairly little use, although a youngling might've spun the knobs a bit heavier than i would've..

I'm quite proficient in switching out the part myself, but the price of freight for the pot from Synthstrom is a bit crazy (I reckon they prolly use a courier for these too).
    Even the standard shipping rate is 23,45$ for a 1,5$ part..

Anyone been able to source a suitable replacement within the EU?

Post edited by weasel_spatulas on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@weasel_spatulas said:
    I'm having the same exact troubles, except on the upper gold pot.
    Device less than two years old and seen fairly little use, although a youngling might've spun the knobs a bit heavier than i would've..

I'm quite proficient in switching out the part myself, but the price of freight for the pot from Synthstrom is a bit crazy (I reckon they prolly use a courier for these too).
    Even the standard shipping rate is 23,45$ for a 1,5$ part..

Anyone been able to source a suitable replacement within the EU?

It can be sourced, but be aware: "you may source elsewhere, though doing so would require you to remove a metal nub from the encoder, which we pre-remove from encoders we sell. Heavy-duty clippers are required for this, and it’s very easy to damage the encoder in the process, so we recommend buying this part from our store with all clipping pre-done."

Here's @ Mouser UK, but they're sold out until may it seems: https://mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC16-4015F-S0024?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduh8y9mbdil%252BRUULMW7LnbjaHQ5j%2FQxBEJieHN6qyfhTEVUBUZFwNIBx

This is the Bourns PEC16-4015F-S0024, i.e. the clickless gold-knob type encoder :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited March 2021

Thanks lcoustik, unfortunately mouser.co.uk is not only out of stock, it's also nowadays outside the EU and postage for a single pot seems to be more than from NZ (23,90usd).
    ;)

edited March 2021

@weasel_spatulas said:
    Thanks lcoustik, unfortunately mouser.co.uk is not only out of stock, it's also nowadays outside the EU and postage for a single pot seems to be more than from NZ (23,90usd).
    ;)

I clicked Mouser EU and that uk site came up, but that's because of my browser/ VPN, my bad. Apparently they do have a EU version of the site as well, but I don't know if it makes any difference, its not in stock there either:
    https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC16-4015F-S0024?qs=80T3JVN997C8C2pS8mtlBg==

I guess what I'm saying is getting from Synthstrom and spending those extra dollars are probably worth saving the hassle of the mentioned metal nub clipping :P
    But if you think not, searching up the part name (Bourns PEC16-4015F-S0024) in another EU store could yield results, though again, "we recommend buying this part from our store with all clipping pre-done."

Post edited by Icoustik on

Yeah, actually I'm not sure either where Mouser has warehouses, and if it even matters as customs shouldn't be a problem for such a cheap item.
    (and actually Mouser says "All prices include duty and customs fees on select shipping methods").

But some ebay sellers of the part in the UK have very high shipping rates too, which might be Brexit related, i dunno.

I think i shall lure some local person into ordering a Deluge + some pots for me, or then just wait for Mouser to restock and then order other stuff to fulfill the "Free shipping on most orders over 50 €" condition.

Thus negating all the environmental concerns over the shipping from NZ of course, haha.

Sounds like a plan :)

edited December 2021

UPDATE: Mouser finally got these back into stock and I bought a bunch.
    I have some 6pcs extra, so I am willing to send these out pro bono to anyone in need of a closer/cheaper EU shipping option. 3,70 euros apiece, or 4,80 for a pair, including regular priority postage within Europa but not paypal/transfer fees.
    Send me a pm if interested!

I managed to replace my dodgy pot with no hassles, other than tearing down the Deluge way more than necessary. I would recommend following the official battery installation video for guidance, and then just detaching the power switch cable (and the battery of course).
    The desoldering part was easier than expected, as the pot is not installed through-hole per se. My advice is to keep the pots' knobs and nuts attached until after desoldering.

sven_blobsven_blob France Beta Tester Posts: 153

Hello Delugers ⭐
    I live in France and i have the same problem ..
    personally, I will be super interested in ordering a pair of thoses encoders..

is it possible weasel spatulas ? 😁
    What's your mp ?

Thx
    Vinc

karma-pizza@gmx.fr