Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SQ8L Ensoniq SQ80 VST Sample Pack

icymulberryicymulberry CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 18

This is a large sample pack I made from the SQ8L Windows only VST (http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/) last year. I had posted it in the FB group and had meant to put it here as well...but I just plum forgot about it!

There are 168 presets in 24bit/44.1kHz WAV that come out to around 6GB when uncompressed.
You can download it directly from MEGA here.

The zip file contains two folders, SAMPLES and SYNTHS. Extract these to the root of your SD card so that the sample location is preserved (they'll end up being in SAMPLES\MULTI\SQ8L). Then you can load them up by pressing LOAD+SYNTH and browsing to the SQ8L folder.

Enjoy!

Post edited by icymulberry on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Sweet memories, a true VST gem, thanks!

@icymulberry I love the innocent and yet powerful character of this synth.
    6GB is too much for me though, made a version with reduced size, 2.6GB instead of 6GB, 155 presets. Okay for you if I share it here?

edited May 2020

@amiga909 said:
    6GB is too much for me though, made a version with reduced size, 2.6GB instead of 6GB, 155 presets. Okay for you if I share it here?

Sure is OK, I saw your link on Facebook with these too. I am just happy they are being spread as far and wide as possible :)

I am curious - how did you squash the size down so far? I haven't inspected your files at all but I know you removed a few of the samples..I think not 3.4GB worth though!

Post edited by icymulberry on

@icymulberry said:

@amiga909 said:

Sure is OK, I saw your link on Facebook with these too. I am just happy they are being spread as far and wide as possible :)

I am curious - how did you squash the size down so far? I haven't inspected your files at all but I know you removed a few of the samples..I think not 3.4GB worth though!

thanks. yeah, like 10 instruments are missing.
    reduction: instruments larger than 20MB have reduced samples per octaves.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121
    edited May 2020

Hi Amiga909! Just downloaded your version of the soundpack, and it "card" errored out on me after the first few samples in.

I had everything in the right places, etc, and it took me quite a while to notice that the non-working samples all had version 3.1 in the firmware requirements in the XML files. Changing all of these to 3.0 variants (using 3.0.5 here) fixed it.

For instance, 303 Style loaded, but Airy didnt. You'll see what I mean.

I fixed them all with:

for f in SQ8L.*.XML ; do sed -i -e 's/3.1.0-beta/3.0.5/' "$f" ; done
    for f in SQ8L.*.XML ; do sed -i -e 's/3.1.0-alpha2/3.0.0/' "$f" ; done

Edit: And now that I play with them, they all seem to be off by a semi-tone: playing a B instead of a C. Comparing your version with those from Leonard Ludvigsen, it looks like your algo somehow re-detected the pitch? B/c the files are labeled C# instead of C, even though the wavs seem to have the same pitch to my ear. Accordingly, your XML files transpose by 23 steps where Leonard's transpose by 24. And that's where it goes wrong...

A quick fix is just to add 1 to every transpose value in the whole patch set, but the sample filenames still remain inconsistent with the played pitch, which might confuse some folks later down the road.

Anyway... I hope it doesn't get lost in this bug report that the sounds are FANTASTIC. Thanks tons to @icymulberry, Leonard Ludvigsen, and @amiga909 for all the work.

Post edited by hexagon5un on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@icymulberry said:

This is a large sample pack I made from the SQ8L Windows only VST (http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/) last year. I had posted it in the FB group and had meant to put it here as well...but I just plum forgot about it!

There are 168 presets in 24bit/44.1kHz WAV that come out to around 6GB when uncompressed.
    You can download it directly from MEGA here or via torrent via my web site.

To make loading these into your Deluge easier, Leonard Ludvigsen has made a set of patches for these. The filepath for the samples folder needs to be: SAMPLES/ Multisamples/ SQ8L.

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing to more users :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@hexagon5un said:
    Hi Amiga909! Just downloaded your version of the soundpack, and it "card" errored out on me after the first few samples in.

thanks for the feedback. damn, yeah, I used the beta to resave some patches. will look into the transposition, probably a bug in my script to get the midi note number from the SQ8L filenames.
    MUCH appreciated, I will look into it, thanks.

had a look, yeah i got the original sample names off by one semitone. thanks for the sed command too.
    will upload a fixed version which also includes some of the missing instruments.

edited June 2020

@hexagon5un @icymulberry
    I had a second go.

• Fixes "CARD" error
    • Fixes all notes were a semitone off
    • Max size per instrument is now doubled to 40MB (first version: 20MB)
    • Includes now 168 instruments from Rogers original 169 instruments (first version: 155 instruments)

Thanks hexa for pointing out the error.
    The code is here https://github.com/amiga909/deluge-synthstrom-utils/tree/master/multisample/assets

I have not edited the presets anymore. I adjusted the volume and base octave in most presets in the previous upload, thats now gone. Thankfully, @Icoustik presets do a better job here.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    HexodeHexode FrancePosts: 4

Thanks so much this looks awesome!
    @amiga909 is the link in the Youtube description updated with the bug fix? Because the link in your last post doesn't work! Thanks again!

@Hexode said:
    Thanks so much this looks awesome!
    @amiga909 is the link in the Youtube description updated with the bug fix? Because the link in your last post doesn't work! Thanks again!

Thanks Hexode. Yeah, sorry, the link in the post was outdated. The link in the Youtube description is the current one.

RedpandaRedpanda BerlinPosts: 21
    edited August 2020

Triple Rockets my man, legendary sounds, could never afford - but always loved Ensoniq (SQ-80/ESQ-1) <3 Just realized the edited pack and dl linkl on YT is not available anymore. Is it possible to get it re-uploaded? The working link from the first post has the bugs still in it, right?

Post edited by Redpanda on

I dont host this atm, please read the thread more carefully, u still have iit, mine is just a variation of the original upload.

@hexagon5un said:
    Anyway... I hope it doesn't get lost in this bug report that the sounds are FANTASTIC. Thanks tons to @icymulberry, Leonard Ludvigsen, and @amiga909 for all the work.

You're welcome, I'm really happy people are using these samples - I still use them almost every time I start a song on my Delly.

EZ363EZ363 FranceBeta Tester Posts: 10

@amiga909 Hi, the DL in your YouTube video is not available. Can I expect a new one ? Thanks.

Rcon303Rcon303 nh usaPosts: 9

hello! thisa looks awesome i am new deluge user cant seem to get these to work.. inistalled these samples in a folder i named Multisamples/Sq8l and then put the folders with each preset folde in the synths folder .when trying to load them it just says FILE no sounds are played. what did i do wrong ???

@Rcon303 said:
    hello! thisa looks awesome i am new deluge user cant seem to get these to work.. inistalled these samples in a folder i named Multisamples/Sq8l and then put the folders with each preset folde in the synths folder .when trying to load them it just says FILE no sounds are played. what did i do wrong ???

I'm not sure but I think the path might be case sensitive, have you tried SAMPLES/Multisamples/SQ8L/ for the base path?

Sorry - I didn't make the presets and I don't use them myself (I made my own back before these were made).

yogoyogo JapanPosts: 5

hi I just downloaded XML files from your link but it does not seem like its working on my deluge.
    are there any solutions for this problem? thanks!

@yogo said:
    hi I just downloaded XML files from your link but it does not seem like its working on my deluge.

I saw you post in another thread that you also had the same problem, can you tell me how you put the samples and XML files on the SD card? What folders did you put them each in?

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

I saw you post in another thread that you also had the same problem, can you tell me how you put the samples and XML files on the SD card? What folders did you put them each in?

You can check the XML file for the right place to put samples in..

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

Thank you for your comment icymulberry!
    I just simply copied and pasted XML files on my SD card folder called SYNTH where normal presets are set. This worked when I tried it for other XML files that I got from other website…

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

Well, I only put XML files in SYNTH folder but do I need to put samples in sample folder as well?
    Do I need both of them??

@yogo said:

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

Well, I only put XML files in SYNTH folder but do I need to put samples in sample folder as well?
    Do I need both of them??

Yes you do, see the first post for the folder path for the sample files.

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

Do I need both of them??

oh its actually working now! sounds great!! thank you so much for your advices!!

@yogo said:

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

@icymulberry said:

@yogo said:

Do I need both of them??

oh its actually working now! sounds great!! thank you so much for your advices!!

Great, I'm glad you like them! I still use these samples all the time myself, I can't get over them :)

WiegrafWiegraf Beta Tester Posts: 9

Love these samples so much! They've become my go tos for game soundtrack composing!!

@Wiegraf said:
    Love these samples so much! They've become my go tos for game soundtrack composing!!

I use them all the time too!

Just a general update:
    I updated the first post with an updated zip that now contains both the sample files as well as synth XMLs set up to use them. Just extract to the root of your SD card and you are good to go!

hamptoniohamptonio Posts: 23

These look awesome but I'm having trouble reading the wav files, it seems like they are missing headers. Anyone else have that problem? I've tried fixing it with sox and ffmpeg but no luck so far.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

The wav files don't go in multisamples, but in SAMPLES/Multi/SQ8L