Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sidechain EVERYTHING

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123

...OK, maybe not everything, but a lot of things can be modulated by the sidechain (and different drums can trigger by different amounts, etc.).

I've been busy moving cities, but wanted to do a video where I started from a brand new synth patch and only edited the sound via patching parameters to sidechain. Some of it is more useful than others (sidechain to increase the arp rate can be very fun), but thought I'd share.

Tagged:

Comments

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

Excellent!

@Mugwood said:
    Excellent!

Thanks! So many possibilities.

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Sidechain to arp rate is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing this

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    Sidechain to arp rate is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing this

Thanks! Yeah it's a great trick.

I also forgot until someone asked that you can sidechain other drums too. Would be fun to mess with that.

taktak Posts: 31
    edited August 2021

Anyone know of a good tutorial for this? This video, the official Synthstrom video and others let you hear what happens when combining with something other than a kick, and are enlightening with the possibilities, but don't really explain how to do it and are difficult to follow along with. The manual is also very light in this regard.

Much appreciated

Post edited by tak on

@tak said:
    Anyone know of a good tutorial for this? This video, the official Synthstrom video and others let you hear what happens when combining with something other than a kick, and are enlightening with the possibilities, but don't really explain how to do it and are difficult to follow along with. The manual is also very light in this regard.

Much appreciated

Are you just trying to use something other than a kick to trigger the sidechain? Let's say you want the snare instead:

• Open your kit
    • Select the snare by pressing the corresponding audition pad on the right
    • Press shift+ the "Send" pad in the sidechain section of the grid
    • Dial in the amount by which you want the snare to trigger the sidechain

That's pretty much it. You can also adjust the amount the kick sends to the sidechain if you wanted it less than full, for example.

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

@tak said:

Much appreciated

Ron Cavagnaro has a nice instruction in his video and when you come back to Bay_Mud's lesson ..you will become expert very quickly. https://youtube.com/watch?v=c3zZaljG-D8

ant

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

@Bay_Mud said:
    ...OK, maybe not everything, but a lot of things can be modulated by the sidechain (and different drums can trigger by different amounts, etc.).

awesome video Mud ..was a great help to me. Many Many Thanks

ant

@oneANT said:

@Bay_Mud said:

awesome video Mud ..was a great help to me. Many Many Thanks

ant

Thanks ant! Glad it was helpful. Hopefully more to come eventually (and some actual music too).

edited August 2021

Double post

Post edited by tak on

Thanks Bay & Ant. Love the Ron bootcamp videos - haven't gotten to the Glitch one yet.

That is helpful information as far as how to choose different kit sounds to interact with the sidechain Bay - however, I am trying to figure out in particular using the sidechain with the arp or other such parameters.

From what I understand, only KIT sounds will play along with sidechain, so I guess my question is (in regards to the video at the top of the post), how did you get the sidechain to be impacted by the arp? Are you putting an arp on a drum and turning the volume to zero? I only use arps in SYNTH as arp'ing drums isn't my first thought of things to do. Or are you somehow sending the arp to the sidechain directly?

Hope that helps explain where I'm missing the boat?

In the meantime I'll try to get up to Boot Camp 7

Much appreciate all the replies! Thanks all

@tak said:
    Thanks Bay & Ant. Love the Ron bootcamp videos - haven't gotten to the Glitch one yet.

That is helpful information as far as how to choose different kit sounds to interact with the sidechain Bay - however, I am trying to figure out in particular using the sidechain with the arp or other such parameters.

From what I understand, only KIT sounds will play along with sidechain, so I guess my question is (in regards to the video at the top of the post), how did you get the sidechain to be impacted by the arp? Are you putting an arp on a drum and turning the volume to zero? I only use arps in SYNTH as arp'ing drums isn't my first thought of things to do. Or are you somehow sending the arp to the sidechain directly?

Hope that helps explain where I'm missing the boat?

In the meantime I'll try to get up to Boot Camp 7

Much appreciate all the replies! Thanks all

The sidechain is triggered by kit sounds, but can affect more than just the volume of a synth patch. In the case of an arp, this is what I was doing:

• Make sure you have a kit with an item that triggers the sidechain as well as a synth preset you'd like to affect
    • In your chosen synth patch, use the "Sync" shortcut pad (second from the bottom of the arp row on the grid) to change the arp sync to "Off"
    • Once that is done hold shift and press the arp "Rate" pad
    • While still holding shift, press the "Sidechain" pad in the last row of the grid (this is where your modulation sources reside)
    • Both the arp rate pad and the sidechain pad should now be lit and blinking
    • You can now use the select knob to choose how much you would like the arp rate to be affected by the sidechain (positive values slow the rate down when the sidechain is triggered, negative values speed it up)
    • You may have to mess with the sidechain sync value as well to dial in a result that sounds good to you

You can have sidechain affect the filter cutoff or many other parameters using similar steps (replacing arp rate with the parameter of your chose).

I hope that's helpful. Experiment and see what happens!

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

Is there a list of parameters that CAN be sidechain modulated?

Thanks so much @Bay_Mud - really appreciate it!

tamlyntamlyn LondonBeta Tester Posts: 32

@Percivale said:
    Is there a list of parameters that CAN be sidechain modulated?

Check out the chart in the Deluge manual