Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Question about potential LP filter "bug" and tiny ideas what could go to update

davidvacekdavidvacek Czech RepublicPosts: 4
edited November 2021 in General Discussion

Hey guys, I am new to deluge and super happy with the device after more then weak of investigating all the staff it can do :)

I bumped into one thing that was bugging me though.

With certain sounds, samples there is really prominent "click" / "pop", ( jump in frequency? ) when low pass filter goes over 49 when the screen shows "OFF". In some sounds it is just barely noticeable, but it is there and with some sounds it goes to quiet extreme. Like you can stop by 49 value, but issue is you can't see the number when using the parameter affect group knobs without selecting the filter on the pads / menu and also with faster sweeps or when you want to be sure it is fully open you can easily go beyond 49 switching to OFF creating that click :/

I've recorded short video demonstrating it.
https://youtu.be/_du3H6xlhKI

Idea for small update:
Could the pads brightness state be saved together with other global settings? So there is no need to change it with every start up?

Post edited by davidvacek on

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608

i've never run into that and can't seem to replicate it with the samples i'm choosing. maybe upload the sample file somewhere so we can investigate?

Hi @reza,
    thank you for looking in to it, maybe there is something funky in my setup :)

here is the link for sample + saved synth preset

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OFxxzU49rVNE03Wi1jBVef1r8WzF2f2D/view?usp=sharing

I encountered this also in other situations with more clean samples / sounds, but it was not that loud, but still noticeable click.

edited November 2021

hm ok, so it seems that when HPF has a value greater than OFF, the clicking happens WAY more, which your preset does have it set above OFF. as a temporary solution to avoid it, i would remove any HPF filter and adjust the BASS eq instead when possible. the issue only seems to happen on 12db or 24db filter options (click lower golden knob when your gold knobs are set to [cutoff/FM]/[res/FM] to adjust filter type) so when set to "drive" it doesn't happen as much (or at all).

another thing i noticed was the sample is very uneven, with more sound coming out from one side than the other. pic for reference (also note that the sample rate is at 48k and 32bit, the deluge will downsample to 41k @ 24bit):

when i made the sample mono (and 41k sample rate @ 16bit), i would say the issue would go away (even with HPF being used) or at least reduce to 1/10th of the time. i tried the same provided sample at 41k @ 16bit, and it seemed to have the same issue, MAYBE reducing the pops by ~15%?

i think there's something here that should be looked at, but at least there's ways to mitigate it a little for now.
    maybe try posting this in the deluge help section unless @rohan can be summoned to this post.

Post edited by reza on

Thank you @reza for your time, delving into it, investigating in more detail, finding out what causing it, detailed explanation and the solution to minimize the pop.
    I should have looked at the sample more up close to find the l/r uneven amp and sample rate, I just loaded bunch of random unchecked samples from my pc for testing out all the functions on deluge :), my bad. Will be more careful in future what samples I use.

This specific sample was really only one extreme I bumped into with all the samples/sounds I tried so far. But probably yes, would be cool if Rohan give it a look, maybe something could be done about that and remove that "pop" completely when using HP + LP 12/24db.

no worries, its fun to investigate !

the deluge should properly downsample from anything higher than 44.1k/16bit so its not imperative to plan accordingly, but its worth snooping around if issues ever come up with samples.

cheers