Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Looping Workflow Problem

DavidDavid GermanyPosts: 22

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with live looping using a midi foot controller. (Nektar Pacer)

I have all the midi commands mapped to the Pacer in the settings page and when I create an Audio track, set monitoring and loop everything works fine as long as the loop is the first track. I can record overdubs and it operates as expected.

The problem I am having is when I already have a synth/midi/kit track laid down. When I try to loop while other tracks are recorded, the looper shuts off (stops) the existing tracks, creates 2 new ones and then doesn't record any audio.

My process would be:
1) In a new song, create Midi/Kit track for a beat and put in a sequence
2) Create Audio track, Set monitoring to Left. (I am recording mono from a mixer), then tap the midi controller to activate looping.

When I activate looping, 2 tracks get created and the Midi/Kit track stops at the beginning of the next cycle while one looper track launches and records, but no audio is recorded, the second looper track stops along with the Midi/Kit track.

What am i doing wrong?

I would like to create loops based on one cycle or multiple cycles of the drums I have sequenced.

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

Comments

If this is the wrong place for this question, let me know and i will remove it. I also posted it in the "Ask a question" section.

Thanks
    David

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

It sounds like your loop command was trying to loop the MIDI/kit track. This happens because the LOOP command makes a new clip to loop whichever track that was last selected. Enter and exit the audio clip to avoid this.

@Too_Mere said:
    It sounds like your loop command was trying to loop the MIDI/kit track. This happens because the LOOP command makes a new clip to loop whichever track that was last selected. Enter and exit the audio clip to avoid this.

Thanks Too_mere!

It looks like that was the problem, although, I tried it so many times, it is hard to believe that I always selected the midi track last.
    Thanks though!
    Hopefully, in the new firmware there is something to make looping a little more intuitive with less set up steps.
    Do you have any suggestions for a good template set up to streamline things a little?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Unfortunately, though templates can be helpful, if you enter a MIDI or kit clip to sequence, you’ll have to enter the audio clip to get the loop command to select the audio clip.
    But the other way is to start recording by enabling rec and unmuting the audio clip. It will wait until the end of the loop and begin recording audio. After that you can use the loop command to close the audio loop and create new audio clips.