Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Morningstar MC6 MKII and Deluge

JoangeJoange EspañaPosts: 52

Hello fellow 'lugers,
I recently acquired this gorgeous pedal with the main intention to use it with the Deluge. It is a very versatile pedal (and expensive), where you can send many different actions for switch, also depending on how you press the switch (short press, long press, release, etc). It has a web editor where you can edit every single function of the pedal. The only unconvinience is that you have to prepare it beforehand.
It can send PC (single and multichannel), CC, Note On/Off, Real time (no idea), Song position (would this be useful?), Song select (do you think it could work?). It also can send clock tap. There are a bunch of other options that overwhelm me for now and I just want to set it workin'.
I looked through Deluge's manual, which says what kind of messages are recognised and transmitted.
I have doubts about the Global setting Commands (Play, Loop, Layer...), what kind of messages are they, CC, PC? Is there a list of PC/CC "standard" number for Deluge?
Up until now I have discovered how to assign the mute pads on song mode, which is my main use of it (tried the LPD8 which works perfectly, but is uncomfortable to play with your feet). This is done on the MC6 editor assigning the action (i.e.press, long press...) and then on the type, Note On with a velocity of 127.
The Global commands with Note On settings doesn't work as expected. I'll keep trying.
Does anyone use this pedal, and can share some workflow? In the meantime, I will post my further investigations!

Comments

What I'm discovering now is that what works with Deluge is sending Note On messages with full velocity and a different number for each pad you want to assign. So basically I could have 128 different assignations. The global commands seem to work this way as well

A couple of freezes. Now, while layering, it just freeze on the song view, record and play buttons lit, still receiving play/stop orders from the controller AND Deluge buttons, sound coming, but pads and cursor unresponsive. I may have been a bit careless pressing switch buttons, trying to understand how to make it work. I think the freeze occurred when pressing loop while layering.

kalaleokalaleo Beta Tester Posts: 5

I use them combined as well, but didn’t get this far yet! Keep it coming, I’m interested how this evolves :smile:

HoosierGuyHoosierGuy Indiana, USAPosts: 2
    edited January 2022

Just checking in to see if you've any progress on this?

Thanks,

@Joange said:
    Hello fellow 'lugers,
    I recently acquired this gorgeous pedal with the main intention to use it with the Deluge. It is a very versatile pedal (and expensive), where you can send many different actions for switch, also depending on how you press the switch (short press, long press, release, etc). It has a web editor where you can edit every single function of the pedal. The only unconvinience is that you have to prepare it beforehand.
    It can send PC (single and multichannel), CC, Note On/Off, Real time (no idea), Song position (would this be useful?), Song select (do you think it could work?). It also can send clock tap. There are a bunch of other options that overwhelm me for now and I just want to set it workin'.
    I looked through Deluge's manual, which says what kind of messages are recognised and transmitted.
    I have doubts about the Global setting Commands (Play, Loop, Layer...), what kind of messages are they, CC, PC? Is there a list of PC/CC "standard" number for Deluge?
    Up until now I have discovered how to assign the mute pads on song mode, which is my main use of it (tried the LPD8 which works perfectly, but is uncomfortable to play with your feet). This is done on the MC6 editor assigning the action (i.e.press, long press...) and then on the type, Note On with a velocity of 127.
    The Global commands with Note On settings doesn't work as expected. I'll keep trying.
    Does anyone use this pedal, and can share some workflow? In the meantime, I will post my further investigations!

Post edited by HoosierGuy on

Hi @HoosierGuy :) Sadly, I had to pack my studio and everything is still boxed. I just kept the Deluge and a couple of synths around.
    But from what I recall, configuring the mc6 to send note on messages works for most of the stuff you'd want to do, albeit you have to assign a different number to the message you send (so 128 different messages) and configure it on the Deluge with the Learn function. I was mainly interested in muting and un-muting sounds and sections, because I hardly use the D as a looper, as I find it messy and already use a Boomerang Phrase III.
    Once it's configured it works like a charm, I suspect the freezes were midi/usb related issues (no beta tester tried to help with this).
    A bit of a boomer is that you can only assign 1 message for each part, so f.ex. you can't have two mute messages coming from different places (like, a "one track mute" in one switch and that track coupled with another track in another switch, as it will forget the previous instruction) -> sorry for my bad english and explanation, if this is hard to understand tell me and I can try better
    I think the MC6 is wonderful if you have an extended set of FX pedals with midi. For the Deluge is a bit too much. I checked the Logidy UMI3, which has similar features at a much lower price, but I weren't able to purchase it outside the US (I'm in EU). There's also the "dedicated" midi controller for Deluge that you can find about around this forum, but sadly it is hard configured to act as a looper.
    So all in all, cool, but a bit too much with the Deluge. Don't get it wrong, it's mainly Deluge's fault. The MC6 is super-well built and thought.

HoosierGuyHoosierGuy Indiana, USAPosts: 2

Thank.Thank you for your reply...I have the MC8 and had similar thoughts about how it may be useful with Deluge.