Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Is my Deluge broken?

1
neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

If I do this:

New Song
New Kit
Hold Kit lane and hit Record

sampling starts but the resulting sample is just noise. I've done this probably hundreds of times before and it works. I've tried with Monitoring On/Off/Cond but it's just white noise still.

If I plug something into the Line Input, it samples OK.

Is my Deluge dead? :(

Comments

  • 1
    duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

    To clarify, you're getting white noise with nothing plugged into mic or line inputs, so you expect sampling from the built-in microphone?

  • 0
    HegloHeglo GermanyPosts: 3
    edited March 2020

    Hey Guys,
    first of all, i am using this thread because the description fits and i couldn't manage to open a new thread on my own... :sweat_smile:

    I just recently got a deluge (used), and i really love this little fellow, but now he is striking. As I understand it, he is acting like i would constantly be pressing "shift", meaning, when i turn him on he shows "upda" and then the spinning-screen and then "done". And thats it, thats where he stops. Everytime. I tryed resetting the sd-card and also changing it completely, no effect. When i start up without a card, it shows "card". I was working on it today, everything seemed fine, except i couldn't connect some midi gear properly, then i turned it off and took a break and after that it would not come back.

    Please, help me, i want to continue jammin, but i have no idea what to do.

    Post edited by Heglo on
  • 0
    HegloHeglo GermanyPosts: 3
    edited March 2020

    Update: I just downloaded the firmware 2.0.2 and now he powers up. My shift-theorie was nonesense it seems. The difference with the firmware 2.0.2 is that after the update animation, it goes into songmode and works, but it still loads the update, everytime i turn the deluge on. Im glad, that i can work again, but still, id like to get the proper updates. :( If anybody has got some insight, please respond!

    Post edited by Heglo on
  • 0
    HegloHeglo GermanyPosts: 3

    Update2: Today i used the deluge again and i realized its something wrong with the shift-key afterall, because with the 2.0.2 firmware i can use the deluge but not the shift-key. Imagine using the deluge without a shift-key. :( Since the warranty is void anyways, i opened the hole thing up, checked the mechanic features of the buttons, but it seems allright. Now i am out of ideas.

  • 0
    hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 109

    Your first idea, that it's stuck on, sounds right to me. It's very hard to imagine any way that this could be firmware related. You need to figure out how to un-stick it. :)

    You're sure that the little rubber button isn't sticking to the case?

    Does the button have an "interleaved fingers" pattern on the circuit board? Is that pattern clean? If not, maybe clean the contacts with alcohol / spiritus. The thought would be that something is shorting the two sides together even when the little cap thing in the button isn't pressing down on them.

    Are you sure that the little black cap thing inside the rubber part of the button is pulling up off of the PCB/fingers part?

    Take some good photos of the inside?

  • 0
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 954

    @neilbaldwin said:
    If I do this:

    New Song
    New Kit
    Hold Kit lane and hit Record

    sampling starts but the resulting sample is just noise. I've done this probably hundreds of times before and it works. I've tried with Monitoring On/Off/Cond but it's just white noise still.

    If I plug something into the Line Input, it samples OK.

    Is my Deluge dead? :(

    Did you figure it out Neil?

    ~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

  • 0
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 954
    edited March 2020

    @Heglo said:
    Update: I just downloaded the firmware 2.0.2 and now he powers up. My shift-theorie was nonesense it seems. The difference with the firmware 2.0.2 is that after the update animation, it goes into songmode and works, but it still loads the update, everytime i turn the deluge on. Im glad, that i can work again, but still, id like to get the proper updates. :( If anybody has got some insight, please respond!

    Why are you on such old firmware? Grab the newest firmware, 3.0.4, it has important bug fixes etc.
    forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2774/deluge-firmware-v3-0-4-released#latest

    Then, let me know if your problem persists :) And send a mail to ian@synthstrom.com as well for further support.
    Btw, the audition pads can be used as shift!

    Post edited by Icoustik on

    ~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

  • 0
    neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

    @Icoustik said:

    @neilbaldwin said:
    If I do this:

    New Song
    New Kit
    Hold Kit lane and hit Record

    sampling starts but the resulting sample is just noise. I've done this probably hundreds of times before and it works. I've tried with Monitoring On/Off/Cond but it's just white noise still.

    If I plug something into the Line Input, it samples OK.

    Is my Deluge dead? :(

    Did you figure it out Neil?

    I ended up replacing the internal mic and the external mic input (3.5mm) myself with some help from Anthony at Synthstrom (good guy!). I think it was possibly a dry joint or poor solder on one of the pins of the mic input jack.

    It was a horrible bit of electronic surgery to perform so I don't recommend it unless you're experienced and confident. My Deluge is all back to normal now though :D

  • 0
    ckbarlowckbarlow Baltimore USAPosts: 6
    edited October 2021

    @lcoustic This exact thing is happening to my Deluge too. :-( trying to sample with the built in mic and getting only loud static. I’ve only had it a few months and have babied it.

    UPDATE: turned off and back on and now it works. Hmm.
    Concerns me that it’s inconsistent bc that often indicates hardware, yet restarting fixed it.
    And obvs I can’t gig with a mystery box. It needs to work consistently.

    Post edited by ckbarlow on
  • 0
    rezareza los angelesBeta Tester Posts: 109

    ive definitely had a few rare instances when i resample where the result is noise. hasn't happened in a long time (but with the current firmware). wonder if it's related...

Sign In or Register to comment.