Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Adding stereo width to a patch

YwenYwen Paris, FrancePosts: 21
edited July 2021 in General Discussion

When I want to add some stereo width to a patch, I usually go to ping pong delay with a fast rate. But it's not exactly the same.
I know some synth have the capability to pan around the different voices ("Width" setting usually it's called). Is there a way to do similar things on the Deluge?

Post edited by Ywen on

Comments

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Hm. You could try unison, but I don't think that affects the stereo image.

Another option would be to record your synth line (either as a synth clip or resample it) and then double ("clone" maybe? I forget the right terms) that part and hard pan each one. You could then make minor adjustments to the synth/audio parameters to get all kinds of stereo effects.

YwenYwen Paris, FrancePosts: 21

Hm. You could try unison, but I don't think that affects the stereo image.

No, unison voices don't (at least by default) affect stereo image on the deluge. Other synths can have a width option to pan around the voices, which is very useful. I wanted to know if the Deluge had a hidden option like that (or if could be implemented?).

As per double tracking, yes that's also another trick I do, but sometimes you just want to pan around stuff quickly.

samforcesamforce United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 40

following

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Okay new idea: you could use stereo single cycle waveforms that are panned a little (or a lot) in the stereo field? And then set your oscillator type to sample. Pretty hacky and you wouldn't be able to adjust on the Deluge but it seems like it would work. They'd be very small files so you could have different variations (e.g. TriL2, TriL10, TriR50 for Triangle waves panned left/right by different amounts)

BugahBugah Posts: 29
    edited August 2021

Talked about this point recently with some people. Aside from using the ping pong delay with a fast rate, stacking random and LFO modulation on the PAN control for a polyphonic synth means that every note you press down for a chord, each note will have a random PAN value, then all the voices will shift back and forth with the LFO. Stacking reverb with full width and with the ping pong delay gets a pretty wide voice. Another hack would be to load a preset, pan it hard right, then save an identical preset slot, pan that hard left, and tweak both synths individually for the left and right voices. A third hack would be to do manual Mid/Side Processing where you'd save a left, center, and right panned track and then tweak all the parameters individually. https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-is-midside-processing.html something like this. Audio rate LFO on the pan gets some cool distortions and full stereo sounding noises.

Post edited by Bugah on
    Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

I like to use sine LFOs or the random modulator on the panning, combined with delay, with stereo set to 'off'.

Setting the delay stereo to 'off' stops it ping-ponging but still outputs stereo audio. So the echoes will be panned to the same points as the original sound.

It works well in subtle amounts too. Modulating the panning by 15-20 can make a sound realistically wide, while also freeing up space in the centre of the stage.

If you do combine it with delay (or reverb), I recommend using some high-pass filtering to prevent any dizzying build-up of low frequencies on either side of your mix.