Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Re-record Deluge audio via line-in

Hi gang,

I don't think this question has been asked yet, so figured I'd share it here.

Is it possible to re-record audio from the Deluge via the line-in?

Here's the signal chain I'm trying to describe:

Deluge synth or sample > line out > external effects unit > deluge line in

Then monitor on headphones I guess.

Is this possible? If not, has anyone figured out a clever way to apply external effects to a signal then get it back into the deluge for recording / monitoring?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

llexamllexam USAPosts: 73
    Answer ✓

Yes, it's possible, but you cannot monitor the signal coming back in on the Deluge without creating a feedback loop.
    The easiest way to get around the problem is to use an external mixer in the signal chain, and monitor from that.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137
    Answer ✓

If you set the input of the audio track doing the recording to line in without monitoring, the Deluge headphone out would allow you to monitor the pre-effects signal. I think llexam is right about needing something external if you want to monitor the post-effects signal.

Answers

GeorgeRTerryGeorgeRTerry BristolPosts: 4

cheers guys!

PuppeteerPuppeteer Perth, West OzBeta Tester Posts: 52

I do this all the time, but I have it routed via my UFX and ableton as essentially a fancy audio router.

SaschaSascha Posts: 9

If your effects have a wet/dry setting, would it be possible to just have the effect send back a 100% wet signal to the Deluge for recording. Then you should be able to mix the wet and dry on the Deluge on 2 separate tracks. I’m going to l try this tonight.

tombluetomblue Posts: 21

Is the hardware capable of monitoring all audio via the headphones while routing specific tracks out through the outputs? This feature would massively open up the routing options for including external signal processors

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

@tomblue said:
    Is the hardware capable of monitoring all audio via the headphones while routing specific tracks out through the outputs? This feature would massively open up the routing options for including external signal processors

I believe the hardware only allows the same signal through headphones and the outputs.
    That said, what you describe is possible using panning. You can send specific tracks to L or R outputs. Then the headphones will have all tracks, albeit with a wonky balance :-)

tombluetomblue Posts: 21

@Too_Mere said:

@tomblue said:

I believe the hardware only allows the same signal through headphones and the outputs.
    That said, what you describe is possible using panning. You can send specific tracks to L or R outputs. Then the headphones will have all tracks, albeit with a wonky balance :-)

Thanks very much for your reply! Does this mean that it won't be possible for a future firmware update to allow selecting outputs?

The hard pan routing is an option but I'd like to send specific stereo signals to stereo effects while playing live. Are you aware of any routing options that can achieve this?

Thanks again :)

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

No problem. I’m fairly certain a firmware update of this is not possible.
    No way to split stereo signals in that way, sorry.

FnordFnord CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 21

Anyone figure out a way to send audio to external fx and record back into the Deluge without routing through a mixer?

boblinboblin RussiaPosts: 3

Pardon me, but i can't get how mixer would help here. Could somebody be kind enough explain me the problem and the solution?

beachbentobeachbento San FranciscoPosts: 7

@boblin said:
    Pardon me, but i can't get how mixer would help here. Could somebody be kind enough explain me the problem and the solution?

I haven’t tried it yet, but I assume OP wants to send native audio from the Deluge (synth, drums, etc) to a guitar pedal or fx pedal and that back into the deluge, and possibly monitor it without a mixer.

I’m new to the deluge and want to do this exact thing. Was there ever a solution found? Im not opposed to using a mixer, so will try this later, but if folks are doing this already I’d love to read how.

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

I route the Deluge out to a iRig duo connected to an ipad running AUM and mixbox for FX.

Then one lineout goes back into the deluge. And the headphone out on the iRig is the one I listen to.