Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Why are my tracks resampling to mono? (Suspected bug)

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128
edited September 2021 in Deluge Help

Hello friends.

I resampled a completed project yesterday and the resulting file is mono when I load it on my PC. Have I changed a setting without realising? If so, how can I change it back to stereo?

Thanks as always for the advice,
Joe

Post edited by Alder_Dice on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

Well that's odd. I just tried again, only using the REC+PLAY method instead of the SHIFT+REC...PLAY method. I'm back to a stereo render.

Is that the intended behaviour, or is it a bug?

Actually no, it is still rendering 4 out of every 5 resamples to mono.

I'm trying to replicate it, but there's, no connection to which button combination I used to start resampling, no whether I stop playback before recording. I tried it on an older project with the same issue.

It smells like a bug. I'll do a firmware refresh in a day or two but I'll leave it as is for now, in case I can be of any use in pinpointing the bug.

Yes, it's definitely a bug. It only resamples the left channel. It's happening about to about 75% of resamples, with no immediately apparent correlation to anything I'm doing.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I haven’t noticed an issue with this before, so I checked the files in my resample folder. I found that most were stereo files and a few were mono. But the mono samples all had something in common. They are all mono sounds. Like a bass with no stereo effects or a dry vocal recording. I’m not certain, but it seems the Deluge can tell if there’s no stereo information and then creates a mono file when resampling.
    Could this be what you’re experiencing or is there stereo content that’s missing?

@Too_Mere said:
    I haven’t noticed an issue with this before, so I checked the files in my resample folder. I found that most were stereo files and a few were mono. But the mono samples all had something in common. They are all mono sounds. Like a bass with no stereo effects or a dry vocal recording. I’m not certain, but it seems the Deluge can tell if there’s no stereo information and then creates a mono file when resampling.
    Could this be what you’re experiencing or is there stereo content that’s missing?

Thanks for the quick reply.

There's definitely stereo content missing. It happens when I render complete tunes.

As an experiment I made a simple stereo tune, with two synths panned hard left and hard right. The resampled mono audio contained only the left synth.

edited September 2021

@Too_Mere said:
    That’s odd. Are you on the latest, 3.1.5 firmware?

I'll do that now and see if it fixes it...

I can't replicate the problem, so it was either fixed in the code or the act of reflashing the firmware reset whatever got corrupted.

Interestingly I noticed that when in resampling mode, the internal speaker only plays the left channel, rather than the summed L+R. But the resampled audio is still stereo.

Thanks again for the help @Too_Mere . Fingers crossed I won't encounter the issue again.

Post edited by Alder_Dice on