Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Record multiple rows with preset length?

Crosspost from the discord:
I just watched a demo of the SOMA cosmos and wondered if it was possible to imitate a similar behavior. Specifically I thought about this:
I record a loop, then duplicate it (multiple times) and shorten it a bit, so that they drift apart with each repetition.
Is this possible or not?
I tried duplicating it, but that makes it impossible to play them simultaneously.
Then I tried making a new audio track and load in the loop I just created but I couldnt find the recording.
Next, I tried to prepare multiple rows each with a different length and arm them all for recording and record into all of them simultaneously. What happens is I start the recording on multiple rows, that works so far, but they will end up the same length no matter what. I tried to stop the recording in one clip, but that stops the recording altogether. And if I wait for the recording to hit the end of a clip, it just extends said clip.
I can record them all same length then shorten the ones I want, but I was hoping for a smoother workflow.

Any thoughts?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

When duplicating clips they will all occupy the same track. But you can change what track each clip belongs to after duplicating.
    Once you’ve made your duplicate clips, go to arranger by pressing song button in song view. Then add additional audio tracks for each of the clips by pressing and holding the audition pad of a blank row and pressing select.
    Then back in song view you can hold the row of each duplicate and turn the select knob to select the other audio tracks you made (audio 2, audio 3, etc.). This allows all clips to play at once.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Thanks @Too_Mere ! I didn't know I could choose the audio track afterwards like that. Thats cool.
    I can skip the step of moving to the arranger first, if I just create more audio tracks in song view and then assign the recordings to those, as you said.
    But in the end this is not faster than just recording directly into multiple rows and shortening them afterwards.
    Welp, I guess I have to take it how it is.
    Thanks for your help!

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

No problem! 👍🏼