Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Do you use a USB hub from Deluge for USB MIDI? Please share

KushoKusho Christchurch, NZBeta Tester Posts: 17

If you are using a USB Hub with Deluge USB hosting to send MIDI over USB to multiple devices please share your setup.

I could use a powered MIDI DIN splitter like Mio, but USB MIDI has other benefits.

I would like to send MIDI over USB to 4 analog mono synths. MIDI thru creates lag after a few devices.
A powered USB hub is 1/10 price of a powered MIDI splitter.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

MetamereMetamere United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 20
    edited August 2021

I'm using an unpowered midi splitter box that would work perfectly for you since it splits four ways. I looked into other options like the mioXM, but this seemed like the simplest and least expensive one (and more portable). So far I have my Minilogue xd sending midi to the Deluge, then the Deluge sending midi through the splitter box out to the xd and to a Dreadbox Typhon (and another synth in the future). It also passes the midi from the xd through so that I can control the Typhon with it. It doesn't work properly if I try to use the sequencer on the xd since it creates a weird loop and speeds the tempo up a ton, but it works fine for using the keyboard. So all the midi is over DIN, which leaves the xd USB connection available to go to my PC for use with the librarian software (which I use quite often). The Typhon also needs its USB port for power, so I'm not sure how that would work without a PC in the mix. There may be some USB hub configuration that would connect everything, but I didn't want to deal with the ground loop noise issues, jitter, and latency that might result.

Post edited by Metamere on
    phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

Hey there @Kusho,

I use both. My set-up sounds similar to yours. I send MIDI out from the Deluge over USB to two synths, and also take MIDI in over USB from two controllers (Keystep and Faderfox).

Similar to @Metamere, I also send MIDI out from the Deluge to an unpowered MIDI splitter/filter box, which splits four ways, this goes to two older synths, as well as a drum machine.

Here are the two devices I'm using:

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

I ended up using a MIDI HOST to control my Deluge from a physical MIDI controller. I finally bought the Kenton unit. It was more expensive than most, but I tried 2 other, cheaper units, and they didn't work.

....just incase that helps......

KushoKusho Christchurch, NZBeta Tester Posts: 17

@phillipadsmith said:
    Hey there @Kusho,

I use both. My set-up sounds similar to yours. I send MIDI out from the Deluge over USB to two synths, and also take MIDI in over USB from two controllers (Keystep and Faderfox).

Similar to @Metamere, I also send MIDI out from the Deluge to an unpowered MIDI splitter/filter box, which splits four ways, this goes to two older synths, as well as a drum machine.

Here are the two devices I'm using:

Thanks everyone for your answers!!

keymankeyman Palmela, PortugalBeta Tester Posts: 30

Box of MIDI wonders, so I call it... Blokas - MIDIHub https://blokas.io/midihub/

You can do the more "conventional" stuff like split, merge, thru etc, but so, so much more!

solipsistsolipsist Bothell, WAPosts: 5

I tried to do MIDI over USB for my Deluge and Typhon combo, but for some reason couldn't get it to work. Using MIDI cables it was fine. Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly, going to have to give it another go. (Using Atolla USB hub)..

LordWiggleLordWiggle NLPosts: 3

I can't get it to work. I need MIDI over USB for the new Behringer JT-4000 Micro, which only has MIDI over USB-C. I have both connected to powered USB 3 hub, but I cannot get a MIDI signal over USB somehow.
    I also tried other synths I have, but they also do not get a signal over USB.
    Are there settings in the Deluge I need to change? Any help is welcome!