Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to get the audio clip to record at the same volume as the input signal?

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

Maybe this is as it's intended to be, but I'm experiencing a scenario where:

1. I have a MIDI clip playing an external synth

2. I create an Audio Clip set to Stereo (no monitoring, because I'm using a mixer)

3. I send the audio signal from the external synth into the Deluge via an Aux channel

4. I monitor the Aux channel to ensure it's nice and loud going into the Deluge

5. I hit Record + Play and record the external synth part into the Audio Clip

6. [Here's the issue] I mute the MIDI clip, and listen back to the Audio Clip and it's at roughly half the volume of the original signal

If I then increase the volume of the Audio Clip to the 3/4 mark on the LEDs it is roughly the same as the signal that was going in.

Just curious: what's going on here? What am I overlooking? Thanks!

Best Answer

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

There’s a couple levels of gain staging at play here. After the synth is sent to the Deluge it is affected by the clip level but the main variable here is the Deluge’s main output level. That is likely sending a lower gain than the aux channel in this case.

Using monitoring on the Deluge audio track will give a consistent level between monitoring and playback. If you prefer to monitor from the mixer for other reasons, try matching the mixer’s monitoring level to that of the Deluge.

Answers

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Too_Mere said:
    There’s a couple levels of gain staging at play here. After the synth is sent to the Deluge it is affected by the clip level but the main variable here is the Deluge’s main output level. That is likely sending a lower gain than the aux channel in this case.

Using monitoring on the Deluge audio track will give a consistent level between monitoring and playback. If you prefer to monitor from the mixer for other reasons, try matching the mixer’s monitoring level to that of the Deluge.

Interesting. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

No problem 👍🏼