Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Do you like lichens?

We like lichens!

Tagged:

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Oh wow, I am working on almost the same thing! I'm building a self generating ambience on the deluge using the same techniques as you. How did you make the deluge use more notes than in the beginning?

And before the video I didn't like lichens. Now I do. Fascinating stuff!

Thank you for uploading this performance!

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

Thank you @Heptagen! So the extra notes from the LFO gently increasing the arpeggiator speed ... so it's like playing faster runs on the keyboard on the selected notes :)

Would be nice if we could e.g. also link LFO2 to octaves for example? But now it's limited to LFO1 only and just synth clips - no idea why it's not available for MIDI or CV because that would be really cool!

Thank you for your answer.
    I understood the part with the LFO modulating the arp speed. But how does it work that
    a) in the beginning it is only using 3-4 different notes and at 1:47 it suddenly uses a lot more?
    b) the arpeggiator almost always starts with the root note, then one up, then back to the root note? (Or did I mistakenly assume that your arpeggiator runs on "random"?)

Yes, there are some limits. I'd love to modulate LFO1 rate using LFO2 or an envelope, but that's not possible either. But still, the mod matrix is so much fun!

Right - of course - sorry! So here's the full breakdown after looking again at the patch:

• The arpeggiator is affecting a synth clip which is made up of five sustained notes. It is set to UP mode with a range of three octaves.

• None of the five notes runs the full 16 steps so the chord (and therefore the arpeggiator) retriggers every four beats. This means that when the arpeggiator is running more slowly it doesn't reach the full extent of the 3 octaves before it retriggers. So faster arpeggiator = more notes.

• The highest three notes don't sound all the time. Actually in this example they are set at 1 of 7, 3 of 7 and 5 of 6. This adds to the degree of unpredictability in how far the arpeggio will get before it retriggers.

And yes - no complaints here, it's tremendously flexible for modulation stuff... and always the possibility of more things to come :)

Ah I get it now. Thanks, that was helpful!

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

I just got back home after spending a few days admiring lichens at Stone Henge and other neolithic stone circles, so this is right up my street!

@Alder_Dice - that's awesome.... lichens are pretty ancient, but those on Stone Henge must be some of the ancientest :)