Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

3.2 Firmware Tease (MPE record and playback)

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I feel you ;) I can't wait either.

cube48cube48 EUBeta Tester Posts: 24

Add me to the impatient crowd ... I'm checking the news here quite often even though the newsletter would come first if there would be any news. Can't wait for the WT and MPE combo :D

Rob_JefferysRob_Jefferys UkPosts: 7

Things seem to have gone very quiet

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

@Rob_Jefferys said:
    Things seem to have gone very quiet

indeed they have.

iambillionsiambillions Oregon Beta Tester Posts: 5

i remember waiting what seemed forever for 3.0.
    it exists! we have it.

tomsentomsen Beta Tester Posts: 13

no rush guys! thinking about that it'll drop at some point makes me happy already : )

HerwrHerwr New ZealandBeta Tester Posts: 9

@tomsen said:
    no rush guys! thinking about that it'll drop at some point makes me happy already : )

Yea but aren't you guys 'Beta Testers', so probably getting to play with it already ;)

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@Herwr It's not out for beta testing yet (as far as I know). Also, anyone can sign up for beta testing :smiley:

Oh no, it's not in beta yet?
    Around new years they said the final release was going to be out in "early 2021". I'm actively trying not to think something went downhill at synthstrom, but the fact that it's august already and the beta isn't even out yet doesn't help with that...

StarHarrierStarHarrier California, USAPosts: 7

Version 3.1.0 was released in June 2020. It seems that only bug fixes have been implemented since then.

HerwrHerwr New ZealandBeta Tester Posts: 9

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    @Herwr It's not out for beta testing yet (as far as I know). Also, anyone can sign up for beta testing :smiley:

ah cool wasn't aware anyone could request to be a B/T - Might have to look at that, although it's the MPE support I'm itching for for use with my Linnstrument, but if it's isn't being tested yet then might wait a bit longer

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

The update just ended up being WAAAAYYYY bigger than we anticipated and is taking longer than we expected, but its still under intense development, there is some MAD coding going on here, we know peeps excited for this and Rohan is busting hump to develop it.

Thank you so much for the status update @Ian_Jorgensen !

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

great to hear, looking forward to it ! woke up this morning and had the urge to jam just with the 808 kit and it ended up being a 45 minute session, super fun seeing what you can do live once u start automating and playing with the golden knobs per kit sample to fill out the space. could already tell how useful euclidean sequencing would be although it was still pretty dang fun to do it by hand. will have to stream it sometime

StarHarrierStarHarrier California, USAPosts: 7

Many thanks for the status update re. the heroic effort being put into bringing us delugeans the new capabilities contained in the 3.2 firmware update. it will definitely be worth the wait I'm sure.

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Thanks for sharing Ian :) y'all rock!

Is there an updated list of the fixed bugs / missing features / added functions that the next update will cover?

@jensg I'll just quote myself quoting the newsletter ;) Other than that there is no further information around yet.

@Heptagen said:
    I'll just paste this part from the community newsletter of may '21 (Source):

3.2 FIRMWARE UPDATE PROGRESS REPORT
    Thank you for being patient. We know this update is highly anticipated.

This new update might be the biggest we've ever done in terms of complexity and Rohan is taking his time to get it right.

You're probably already familiar with what we've teased already:
    Wavetable Synthesis.
    MPE support, recording & playback.
    Euclidean sequencing, individual row lengths and playback directions

You can look forward to more too, but we'll hold off teasing new stuff as we focus on getting it ready for beta testing.

@Heptagen said:
    @jensg I'll just quote myself quoting the newsletter ;) Other than that there is no further information around yet.

@Heptagen said:
    I'll just paste this part from the community newsletter of may '21 (Source):

3.2 FIRMWARE UPDATE PROGRESS REPORT
    Thank you for being patient. We know this update is highly anticipated.

This new update might be the biggest we've ever done in terms of complexity and Rohan is taking his time to get it right.

You're probably already familiar with what we've teased already:
    Wavetable Synthesis.
    MPE support, recording & playback.
    Euclidean sequencing, individual row lengths and playback directions

You can look forward to more too, but we'll hold off teasing new stuff as we focus on getting it ready for beta testing.

Well, I hope they would adress some of the longstandig issues that have been lingering around for months / years instead of focussing on rather “fringy“ features like MPE.

But we will see.

acidbasementacidbasement CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 3

Thanks for the update Ian! Looking forward to seeing what you all are cooking up for us 😋

RopRop RotterdamBeta Tester Posts: 17

Rohan, another day of scripting where we the users know how much work you got and get into it, keep the spirit up!
    Cheers, Rob

henleybhenleyb United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 18

Great, I'm really looking forward to trying out all Rohan's hard work. Appreciate the effort and passion that goes in to everyone's little box of magic. :lol:

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67

Although you're using a Roli Seaboard sending MPE into a Deluge, I imagine that all this could be done using something like Supercollider or Pure Data. Is that correct, or do we (will we) need something else to convert the midi information?

Thanks in advance.

@joesh said:
    Although you're using a Roli Seaboard sending MPE into a Deluge, I imagine that all this could be done using something like Supercollider or Pure Data. Is that correct, or do we (will we) need something else to convert the midi information?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert, but I think MPE is a pretty minor extension (in terms of implementation/message type) of MIDI 1.0, so it should be fairly easy to use Supercollider or PD with it, like in this example:
    https://gist.github.com/kisielk/941ccd49b023c5b0e591a4967214d490

OperatricksOperatricks Beta Tester Posts: 8

I just want to call it right now that this is taking so long because they're making a pro Deluge with velocity and pressure sensitive buttons (to take this MPE update to the next level)

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67
    edited October 2021

@hamptonio said:

I'm not an expert, but I think MPE is a pretty minor extension (in terms of implementation/message type) of MIDI 1.0, so it should be fairly easy to use Supercollider or PD with it, like in this example:
    https://gist.github.com/kisielk/941ccd49b023c5b0e591a4967214d490

Thanks, that looks interesting, I'll certainly try it out when the new update comes out.

Post edited by joesh on
    rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

@Operatricks said:
    I just want to call it right now that this is taking so long because they're making a pro Deluge with velocity and pressure sensitive buttons (to take this MPE update to the next level)

not gonna happen. just expect to get what they've announced and maybe youll be surprised of anything else that comes extra

iambillionsiambillions Oregon Beta Tester Posts: 5

adding mpe to one track should be simple enough. but mapping to deluge which can send and receive on multiple channels is probably quite difficult. for instance, i don’t think ableton didn’t want to support mpe and they arguably have more resources than one Rohan to throw at the problem. And it took them the whole time mpe has existed. The issue is that if you already have a way of using multiple midi channels, in deluge to decide which track you are controlling, in ableton i figure it is a method of translating from all channels to another method of identifying the controller track relationship. Then you will have to rewrite the whole organization of device to track relationships and if you don’t want to break everything there is probably some backwards compatibility needed.
    also the amount of data in mpe is a significant difference and multiracking all that over midi din, well, i can imagine it might be frustrating.
    not to mention the other features might even be more difficult.

BebopBebop GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 23

Ian and Rohan, the Deluge will be ever the verry best sound Mashin in my live. Thanks so much for your hard work. 🙏🌈🌊

ctornierictornieri CanadaPosts: 3

Any chance to get a 2 in/ 2 out usb compliant interface?