Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How do you do this? What is your method?

broughtonfilmbroughtonfilm New YorkBeta Tester Posts: 69

How do you do this? What is your method?

So, I'm just curious how you deal with certain everyday aspects of the Deluge workflow. I know each of the areas I list below has a solution / trick / workaround, in fact I have my own for each but I'm curious of yours. If there are other similar questions you have please feel free to add them, I may add more as we go too.  I'd say the focus here should be on methods that are quick and most efficient.

1. When you feel that you'd like to duplicate one of the kit's instruments (in order to for example pitch it down, create a version with the effects, want to play it chromatically, etc, etc), what do you do? 
  2. What is your trick for samples trimming, particularly their ends? How do you avoid listening to the entire sample just to see if its end point is correct and loops properly?
  3. When using long samples in a kit, what is the order of the steps you take when you want the sample to loop at the length of the page you currently work on and so that it does not extend the sequence into multiples (or in case of some modes, fractions) of the page?
  4. Considering that the display fits only 4 characters, what is your method for better navigation through the Deluge card's folders structure, how do you remember the structure? 
  5. How do you gauge the levels of the incoming signal when sampling into Deluge?
Tagged:

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    1. Use computer and edit the XML file - there's currently no way to copy kit rows on the Deluge

2. Move the start point towards the end point to avoid listening to the entire sample for the end, then move it right back once end point is done

3. Set playback mode to loop, and make a drone note on the current page - hold first leftmost pad, and press rightmost pad.

4. Scroll names manually with <>-knob.
      Also, perhaps use some smart naming convention that works for you.
      Instead of single folders with hundreds of samples, keep several smaller folders with fewer files per.

5. Screen will say CLIP when clipping occurs during sampling (not recording audio clip, that's different) - just stay a fair bit below that

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Thank you Icoustik!

_> @Icoustik said:

1. Use computer and edit the XML file - there's currently no way to copy kit rows on the Deluge

_
    **I see... The fastest method without a computer I found personally was to resample and then load into kit multiple times (takes care of truncating as well). **
    _>

1. Move the start point towards the end point to avoid listening to the entire sample for the end, then move it right back once end point is done._

**This kinda works but only if the start point isn't problematic because then you have to redo the start. Can't test loop instantly. I have no workaround for it other than this one mentioned by you which works in case of perfectly truncated start point samples. **
    _>

1. Set playback mode to loop, and make a drone note on the current page - hold first leftmost pad, and press rightmost pad.

_
    **But this does not use the whole sample. **
    _>

1. Scroll names manually with <>-knob.
      Also, perhaps use some smart naming convention that works for you.
      Instead of single folders with hundreds of samples, keep several smaller folders with fewer files per.

_
    **The art of <> knob. I have to use it more I guess. I've created an "alias" folder structure with no files in it using Xcopy command in Windows and copied it to my Files app on my iPhone / iPad for quick reference. Tree image printout (also command line Windows feature) is more precise but not browsable.

_> 5. Screen will say CLIP when clipping occurs during sampling (not recording audio clip, that's different) - just stay a fair bit below that
    _
    **I did not know this existed. Why it does not work when recording audio clip? **

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Icoustik said:

Could you not save the Kit with a new name, then make the edits to the copy?

edited July 2021

@phillipadsmith said:

@Icoustik said:

Could you not save the Kit with a new name, then make the edits to the copy?

I’m not sure how doing so helps? Can you explain? Question was about copying a row/instrument within a kit.

Post edited by broughtonfilm on
    phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@broughtonfilm said:
    I’m not sure how doing so helps? Can you explain? Question was about copying a row/instrument within a kit.

I guess it depends on the context or use. If I wanted to create variations of a Kit's instrument(s), I would just copy the Kit and work on the copy. Might not be applicable here?

@phillipadsmith said:

@broughtonfilm said:

I guess it depends on the context or use. If I wanted to create variations of a Kit's instrument(s), I would just copy the Kit and work on the copy. Might not be applicable here?

It is aplicable. Whatever works for you. I wanted to know other’s methods and that’s exactly what it is. I did mean inside the same kit though.

@broughtonfilm said:

1. Set playback mode to loop, and make a drone note on the current page - hold first leftmost pad, and press rightmost pad.

_

Yes, it does. It will play the whole sample while cycling one page. But you seem to mean something different. Do you mean you want to compress the whole contents into one page?
    Because then you'd use stretch mode instead of loop, and set the length with the note length.

@broughtonfilm said:
    _> 5. Screen will say CLIP when clipping occurs during sampling (not recording audio clip, that's different) - just stay a fair bit below that
    _
    **I did not know this existed. Why it does not work when recording audio clip? **

I don't know :)

edited July 2021

@Icoustik said:

@broughtonfilm said:

_

Yes, it does. It will play the whole sample while cycling one page. But you seem to mean something different. Do you mean you want to compress the whole contents into one page?
    Because then you'd use stretch mode instead of loop, and set the length with the note length.

Yes, that’s what I’m after. And that’ where the problem is exactly. As soon as you press on the grid, if the sample is longer than one page, it will extend the sequence past that. Of course you can make it one page by pressing and holding first pad and last pad. But pressing just first pad extends the sequence already before the second grid button is pressed and then you have to trim it back to just one page.

Post edited by broughtonfilm on