Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Workflow: Looking for best practices for "bouncing" WIP tracks for listening elsewhere

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

The long-story-short of this workflow question is that I enjoy "bouncing" (resampling in the Deluge context) songs so that I can listen to them elsewhere and also track progress toward a finished version.

My process to date has been to:

• Review the sketches I've made that week
  • Re-sample the ones that I'd like to keep thinking about / working on
  • Make a note of which re-sampled file came from which song

I don't mind my current workflow, but I'm curious if others have stumbled on something faster?

Specifically, I'm wondering if it would be sensible to use the "Save with samples" feature to create a folder for the song, and then drop the re-sample of the song in that folder also.

What are your tips and tricks for mentally keeping track of what you've got underway on the Deluge, and keeping the ideas percolating when you're away from the Deluge?

Just thinking out loud here. Many thanks in advance for any wisdom you're willing to share!
Phillip.

Best Answers

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 1,017
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓

Yes indeed I think it would be a good idea to use the collect-all feature to have all your files organized and handy :)
    This way you have a backup of everything the project contains in a separate folder, and a file to listen to said project as a whole.
    This can also be used to send the song to someone else to be easily opened on another Deluge, for collaborative endeavors etc.

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 1,017
    Answer ✓

@phillipadsmith said:

@Icoustik said:
    Yes indeed I think it would be a good idea to use the collect-all feature to have all your files organized and handy :)
    This way you have a backup of everything the project contains in a separate folder, and a file to listen to said project as a whole.
    This can also be used to send the song to someone else to be easily opened on another Deluge, for collaborative endeavors etc.

Thanks for the encouragement, @Icoustik , I'm going to give that a try.

(And, also, thank you for all of the amazing multisample libraries!)

My pleasure, Delly fam :)

Answers

@Icoustik said:

Thanks for the encouragement, @Icoustik , I'm going to give that a try.

(And, also, thank you for all of the amazing multisample libraries!)

Answering my own question, here's the workflow that I've found useful:

Review the sketches I've made that week, and then for the ones I'd like to keep working on:
    \
    1. Re-sample the song to create a "bounce" of the sketch
    2. Add the bounced version to a muted track
    3. Save the file using the "collect all" feature so it's all neatly in a folder (and easily identifiable on the card)
    4. Backup the SD card

Then, from there, I throw all the bounces onto my iPhone (into the GarageBand > GB File Transfers folder) and add all of the sketches as individual "live loops" in a "Deluge Sketches" project in GarageBand iOS. I use the live loops option so that the sketch just continues to loop, even if I've only created a short bounce.

From here, I can listen through my sketches in progress anytime.

Hope that this might help someone else with a similar question.

ckbarlowckbarlow Baltimore USAPosts: 16

Really helpful. My version of this will be to move stems or multitracks into Logic to finish there when appropriate/needed.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Note: Please keep in mind that resampling a song to SD will take up a bit of CPU so watch out for voice drop-outs etc. in songs with a bunch of stuff going on

@Icoustik said:
    Note: Please keep in mind that resampling a song to SD will take up a bit of CPU so watch out for voice drop-outs etc. in songs with a bunch of stuff going on

I try to "bounce" most clips to an audio track (mute the synth/kit after) to avoid this. Not sure if that's the right way to go?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@phillipadsmith said:

@Icoustik said:

I try to "bounce" most clips to an audio track (mute the synth/kit after) to avoid this. Not sure if that's the right way to go?

I mean, if you keep both the audio clips and the synths & kits around, you'll take up even more CPU :P Samples, including audio clips, will always take up a bit of overhead CPU as they sit around ready to stream from SD. Which adds up when there's a bunch of them. But if your songs aren't that complex and don't use a lot of resources, it won't matter much anyway.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Do clips use the cpu even if they're muted?