β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Audible "pop" especially during a section switch

Hi,

Had the Deluge a few days and have run into an issue on each piece I've created. When playing loops in either Song view or Arranger view, when it gets to the end of the section and switches from the next one, the transition is marked with a pop or click sound. This is really audible through either the headphones or the line out with any of a variety of different output devices, but is markedly less so on recordings direct to the SD card - Playing those back on another device has fewer and quieter pops (although they are not eliminated).

Having read posts with some similar issues, I have tried the following to no avail: Reducing the oscillator levels by 30-35%, reducing the clip levels and lowering the attack on all synths and samples. I'm currently on firmware 3.1.5.

Bit at a loss as to what to do next and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

For audio clips, check if margins are set on or off in the settings menu under record. If margins were off, try re-recording the audio after setting to on.

Hey,
    Margins is set to On, and I've also not got any recordings that I've made in the Deluge used in any of the clicking pieces.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993
    edited May 2021

Can you narrow down the specific instrument or clip that is causing clicking?

Post edited by Too_Mere on
    volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited May 2021

I had this on some occasions, I think it has to do with reaching voice/cpu limits (introducing a lot of voices, usually on section start which cut off already playing voices), try optimizing your tracks with the polyphony option if you can (auto a great option for chords, arps on mono), switch delay from analog to digital etc... and see if the pop persists. I also suspect sidechain might be involved.

Another thought, try lowering the song volume in song mode/affect all, might be a clipping issue. And another thought, try set retrig phase on synths from off to 0 or 1, this can get rid of clicks on the attack phase which might add up...

Please feedback if any of this helped with the issue.

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

@Too_Mere said:
    Can you narrow down the specific instrument or clip that is causing clicking?

@volsteh said:
    I had this on some occasions, I think it has to do with reaching voice/cpu limits (introducing a lot of voices, usually on section start which cut off already playing voices),
    Please feedback if any of this helped with the issue.

On one of my tracks I think you've hit the nail on the head - Complex, multi-layered synths with a lot of unison & delays (Boards of Deluge Vapor-type pads). This one was also popping and clicking all through the busier sections so now that you mention it, I can imagine that I was maxing out the Deluge. When I took out 3 or 4 loops the issues reduced significantly. I'm guessing bouncing to fewer audio tracks would be an answer here?

Another piece was a lot simpler - So I'll have an experiment with the polyphony options and check for any sidechaining and look at the retrig phase also.

Thanks so much both, I'll keep you posted!

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

Ill start from lowering overall volume with affect all, then turn up the output level to compensate. It seems to me that the best workflow to avoid clipping is to have the output volume to max and level other volumes down to desired level. I think I never heard clipping issues introduced with turning up the output level so I think clipping is introduced earlier in the signal path, song volume, clip volume, osc volume. Note most of boards of deluge presets have already a good amount of sidechain so maybe try remove it to see if it helps (you can just set send to 0 on the kick sidechain to remove sidechain from entire song).

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

That's a really good shout - I saw no difference in clipping from the overall volume either.