Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Understanding Modulation

HypostaticHypostatic Beta Tester Posts: 19

As a newbie coming from Bitwig and SuperCollider, I'm trying to understand the scope of modulation on the Deluge.

I've read the manual and studied the matrix of possibilities but I just want to make sure that I'm correct here.

Modulation is local to a given synth instrument/voice correct? Sidechain is the only real globally available modulation available?

I even have a bit of trouble understanding if the LFOs are global or local to the voice (or both).

I guess a main question would be whether you can modulate one set of voice params via another. My guess is no (or not yet). Bitwig has some crazy modulation routing, but also mainly is 'downstream' in scope.

SuperCollider, being the most flexible via code allows a many-to-one and one-to-many approach, but that's an entirely different ball game.

I do have to say overall though, the Deluge is set up to make the most appropriate things work or default out of the box - that is genius. Just trying to understand.

If anyone has videos of this please share.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

LFOs are indeed local to each synth or kit row.
    LFO 1 is free running and is applied the same way to all notes played by a synth.
    LFO 2 is key synced and therefore affects each note individually, similar to the way envelopes work.

You can get pretty deep with modulations within a synth. But the only thing that modulates between separate voices/kits/synths would be side chain.

As usual, thank for the info @Too_Mere! Exactly what I needed to know. Obviously with enough creativity and probably external gear, modulation of params could be done via midi. I sometimes use SuperCollider or ORCA to generate Euclidian or algorthimic midi, but could totally be used to map to a parameter as well. Again, sort of gets away from the "Keep it simple" principle.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

No problem!
    In case you haven’t heard, Euclidean sequencing is coming to the Deluge in 3.2 firmware :-)

edited May 2021

@Too_Mere said:
    No problem!
    In case you haven’t heard, Euclidean sequencing is coming to the Deluge in 3.2 firmware :-)

Yeah! I saw that am very excited for the 3.2 (or is it 3.4, whatever the upcoming) updates.

Post edited by Hypostatic on
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I think you could be interested in the advanced routing techniques described in the manual under "6.2 modulation routing advanced". You can use a modulator (or more) to modulate the depth with which another modulator modulates a parameter.

Thanks @Heptagen - that chapter/section was exactly made me wonder the scope of modulation. It was a bit unclear how far reaching this was, but I do love that you can modulate a modulator. I still need to do much work to explore that.