β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Slicing a beat into a kit not working as expected

soojookosoojooko UKPosts: 8

Hi. So I have a 1 bar beat loop sample and have sliced it into 16 parts to a kit. In the clip, when I trigger each slice on each 16th ( in sequence ), I expected the result to sound like the original beat sample. However, it sounds like each slice is clipped before the next slice plays; each slice is playing for less than one 16th before stopping. So the whole thing sounds a bit stuttery with a small space between each slice. Am I making any sense?

Long and short is, how can I get the clip to sound like the original loop sample?

Cheers

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited May 2021

hm, check the sample mode, probably set to once which plays it on normal speed so you get empty spaces betwen slices if tempo dont match. Try set all slices to stretch or cut, enter mode with shift+mode then hold affect entire while changing mode to apply to all slices/rows

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@soojooko said:
    Hi. So I have a 1 bar beat loop sample and have sliced it into 16 parts to a kit. In the clip, when I trigger each slice on each 16th ( in sequence ), I expected the result to sound like the original beat sample. However, it sounds like each slice is clipped before the next slice plays; each slice is playing for less than one 16th before stopping. So the whole thing sounds a bit stuttery with a small space between each slice. Am I making any sense?

Long and short is, how can I get the clip to sound like the original loop sample?

Cheers

@volsteh

Its because slices have some attack/ release applied to them by default, to attempt to avoid clicks/pops.
    You can turn this down per slice. Unfortunately there's no way to do it to all the slices at once currently.

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 604
    edited May 2021

i ran into this same issue, a quick shortcut is to set all the samples to loop, that will get rid of the gaps. you can also set them all to cut as long as they are held out for the proper amount of time (which happens by default generally).

to change all samples' modes at once: go into sample mode and hold the "affect entire" button (left of song and clip buttons) then turn the select knob to loop (or cut). it affects all of the samples as you turn the select knob so once you are at the right sample mode you can release the affect entire and then press the select knob to confirm.

also lcoustik is right that you can adjust attack/release individually if you are adamant about using one shot/once mode, although its a more tedious step. in my experience release being set to 1 was the issue rather than attack being set to 1 for whatever reason so i would start with changing all the release values to 0 first.

Post edited by reza on
    soojookosoojooko UKPosts: 8

Thanks very much for all your input guys. It's most appreciated. I'm going to play around with your suggestions when I next get the chance and see how it goes. Cheers. :)