Sequencing TR-8S from Deluge
Copying this also here from FB for future reference:
I intend to use Deluge to sequence TR-8S. Why? Hands-on control, better effects, drum synth engine and separate drum outputs from TR-8S + longer patterns and easier editing from Deluge. Best of both worlds really, especially since TR-8S' nice variations are not midi controllable. And of course I can still use Deluge kits or just run a synced pattern from TR-8S, depends on what I'm doing. And I think TR-8S has a little more UUMMPPH to it sonically, but maybe that's my imagination. This is how I did my current setup (will change if better workflow is found):
1) I organized the TR-8S' note numbers to start from 60 (Deluge's C3) and in the same order as in the machine, first normal sounds and then another set of alt numbers
2) Deluge is sending clock, TR-8S receives.
3) The pattern + automation in TR-8S are usually empty.
4) Did a midi kit with the rows in same order as in TR-8S (BD, SD, etc.) and note numbers + midi channel corresponding to TR-8S settings. This is where the drum sequencing happens. I get nice different color drum rows instead of all the same color with midi clip.
5) Did some kits in Deluge with the same order or general drum sounds as with my TR-8S midi clip for easily working standalone without TR-8S if needed. I can just change the kit. If I did the sequencing directly on the midi clip, changing to kit sometimes messes up the order of rows, even with scale turned off. Why? No idea.
6) Added a separate empty midi clip just for program number (Program Change message) and automation (CC messages) since I couldn't figure out how to add those in midi kit. This actually separates the sequencing and actual kit played, hmm, very Octatrack (pattern/parts) 🙂 .
7) Aaaand that's it. Seems to work ok, though generates one additional row in Song view.
Note: TR-8S has two midi channel settings: Pattern CH and Kit CH. Program change message sent to Pattern CH changes the pattern and if it is sent to Kit CH it changes the kit. If the channels are the same program change message changes BOTH the pattern and the kit, which created some confusion and cursing before I figured it out. This isn't even mentioned in the midi implementation chart and I first assumed that Kit CH is the channel for CC messages. But they are transmitted in Pattern CH. 🙄 Why? Dunno. Go home, TR-8S, you're drunk.