Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Copy (or merge) from one song to another

HypostaticHypostatic Beta Tester Posts: 19

Hello - just checking here and assume this may have been answered yet the search is pretty granular on this forum so I figured I'd need to ask again.

Question: Is there a way to add one song to another? Or at least grab clips from one to another?

I'm still getting my bearings with the deluge. I make a couple of cool things in song mode in two different songs and I find I want to add one as a part to another. I realize that this may not be just by some magic 'addition', but is there a way to copy clips from one to another? I suppose it may be saving a synth preset, and rebuilding in the target song, but wondered if there was an easier way.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

You’re partly right that you would have to save the preset and rebuild in the target song. But copy and pasting of notes and automation does work across different songs, which is better than rebuilding by hand.
    Copying notes is done by pressing learn + the horizontal knob.

In digging through the XML, it did make me realize why this may or may not be possible. Obviously there are global FX and things to consider as well.

Thanks for the quick response @Too_Mere - forgive my ignorance, but is this one note at a time or can you grab a row?

I'm also already realizing I'm getting dangerously close to seeing wanting an app that can manage a bit easier - but sort of breaks the ethos of the entire Deluge beauty as well. I see the third party thread about some of this and have tested the del2reaper python script with good results. As I know that there will be limitations though to the device interface, cross-platform tools, 3rd party or not may be a neat solution - especially when it comes to eventually mixing in a DAW.

Copying and pasting both apply to all rows above and below what’s visible. It only copies within the visible time selection. Paste will also be applied to the visible time selection.

Great! Thanks @Too_Mere. I sort of figured switching songs may delete the 'clipboard'. I'll give that a shot.

No prob. Good luck! 👍🏼

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

There's also rec+play to resample what's playing and import to new song as wav. Not right for every setting but handy mobility.

a google search came up with this:
    https://deluge-song-merger.netlify.app/

havent tried it yet (will do later today),

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

@Too_Mere said:
    You’re partly right that you would have to save the preset and rebuild in the target song. But copy and pasting of notes and automation does work across different songs, which is better than rebuilding by hand.

I can't figure out how to do that. Let's say I have a drumtrack and an empty synth track.
    Now I want to 'import' a very nice groovy synthline from another song to the existing synthtrack.
    I click on load, scroll to that song....click load again....3,2,1 and the nice groovy synthline from the other song plays by itself. My drumtrack (where I want to merge/import) is gone.

Maybe I've overseen something im the manual

@Eddy said:

@Too_Mere said:

I can't figure out how to do that. Let's say I have a drumtrack and an empty synth track.
    Now I want to 'import' a very nice groovy synthline from another song to the existing synthtrack.
    I click on load, scroll to that song....click load again....3,2,1 and the nice groovy synthline from the other song plays by itself. My drumtrack (where I want to merge/import) is gone.

Maybe I've overseen something im the manual

You need to save the newest song with the Drumline before navigating to a different one for the synth line. After you copy the synth line you can then load the new song with the drums again. Then paste into the new synth clip.

Thx for the answer, but I still don't get it: If I've got two saved songs, it must be possible -following your suggests- to copy from one song to the other in any way I like.
    Where exactly is the step when I am allowed to press SHIFT+HORIZONTALNAV for copying?
    Navigating to a song means a blinking load button with no access to the song.

In clip view, adjust the zoom/view to show section you wish to copy. Then press LEARN + horizontal knob. The screen will say COPY.
    In the new song enter the clip you want to paste into then press shift + learn + horizontal knob to paste.

Thx a lot, some limitations here imo but another way to be adapted in my workflow :)