Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Song Section Limit

Hi,

I have a song with 13 sections in it and that seems to be the limit. I can't add any more different colours, instead it goes back to the colour of the first section. Is this right? Are there really only 13 sections you can create in a song?

Thanks
Martyn

Comments

martyncotteymartyncottey UKPosts: 14

I actually only have 12 sections! Is this really the limit?

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @martyncottey! Yeah, you're correct, 12 song sections is the limit, however the amount of tracks within each is only limited by RAM. It's 12 because past that point, the colour shades become too similar to be able to tell each section apart.

Thats a real shame. One of the things that attracted me most to the Deluge was it's flexibility and that it didn't seem to put on unnecessary limits like that. I'm hitting that 12 section limit in almost every song now. In my mind, it doesn't particularly matter if colours are similar, as long as they are not next to each other. The odd thing is, the way it's setup now is that sections 10 and 11 are almost indistinguishable shades of green, which must be an oversight. I would have thought there could be an unlimited number of sections as long as adjacent colours are different enough.

Do you think this could be easily rectified in the next firmware update?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Sam said:
    Hi @martyncottey! Yeah, you're correct, 12 song sections is the limit, however the amount of tracks within each is only limited by RAM. It's 12 because past that point, the colour shades become too similar to be able to tell each section apart.

there could be more?

• use brightness. guess around 6 less bright colors should be easily discriminable. could be a problem if the global brightness setting is low already though.
    • combine with mute pads. still 12 colors for section button but the mute pads could have different shades of green and red for example.
    SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

@martyncottey @amiga909 I'd recommend putting these on the suggestions section of the forum. I can't promise anything, but there's a much better chance of them being considered for new firmware if they're under that section, (plus others are more likely to add to it, too) :smile:

Hmm. I already have actually but not had much response.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

@alien_brain said:
    you have to be in the crowd that they actually listen to in order to be taken seriously. im talking about the beta testing group, they have suggestions in there all the time that get taken care of immediately. its been said that they dont allow suggestions there but to witness the attention and justification given would make you think otherwise.

I appreciate you feel frustrated, but there is no "crowd", we deal with queries on the beta testers quickly because they are issues in relation to the current firmware release, people responding to a new feature not working as it should, bugs etc. That is what the beta group is for, we need that feedback to make sure the features work correctly/best they can.

edited March 2018
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    "This is just a $900 school project"

Rohan and I found out after we started working together that we actually went to the same high school as each other...so if you want to to call this a "school project"...sure. Onslow College 4eva :)
    Anyway...what do you think about adding more song sections?
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    Not dismissing your suggestion by any means @martyncottey, but why not just save the song at 12 sections into a sub slot and carry on with the song that way? Its only an extra couple button presses to load a new song in sync and there you have a whole new song to write 12 more sections into. Am i missing something benificial that i should consider? I guess i can see the tail cut off issue if your not planing the changes for it. but then again, i just work with that in a way its not noticable or is an effect. I know we all have our ways of writing so im curious what the benifit would really be.
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for your reply @minigoat . I use the Deluge to play sequenced parts live with my band while I play guitar and sing so I need it to run through the sections automatically. I don’t want to have to spread a song across two ‘songs’ on the deluge because i would have to load the new song manually. Perhaps the other solution would be to have the option of automatically queuing up the next song on the SD card after a song finishes.

Clearly there are work-arounds to this problem that I can use, currently I’m just combining song sections together into one section, in effect making each section longer rather than having more sections. But this is a very inelegant solution and makes editing a pain.

I can see that for many people this wouldn’t ever come up as an issue because many won’t ever need more than 12 sections and I’m sure that’s what the developers were thinking/hoping. However, for a machine that can reach tempos upward of 10,000 bpm, which is plain bonkers, I can’t think of a single reason to necessitate putting an arbitrary limit on the number of song sections. Adding more sections wouldn’t make any difference to anyone who didn’t need more sections. But it would make life easier for those that did. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Am I missing something?
    Post edited by martyncottey on
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    edited March 2018

@martyncottey yeah, i can see having your hands tied up for a song change over would be tough. More sections would work best or even a simple pattern chaining feature would be decent.
    iv had old and new (and probably forgetting some) : roland (mc303-sp505-sp303,sp-404, jdxi...korg (every volcas, kp3, esx, emx, es2, e2, em-1, er-1, monologue)...elektron (machinedrum,octatrack)...yamaha (qy100)...mpc (500)...teenage engineering (po12)...and now a deluge which i find stellar compared to the rest
    every one of them had gaps when switching patterns, im assuming its just the nature of having to load in one processor? maybe a unit with a second buffer or master processor could handle the change over in load? im just speculating as to why that is the case.
    maybe look at getting a small tabletop or footpedal looper and grab the last few bars and fade into the next song in the meantime?

Post edited by minigoat on
    deltacrabdeltacrab MemphisBeta Tester Posts: 4

Bumping this thread up in 2021 cause I'm running into the same issue as @martyncottey I've been performing pre sequenced songs and adding guitar/bass/key/vocal live loops on the fly. I'm having to group together verse/prechorus sections to stay under the 12 section limit, so it'd be great to have more. Any chance this can be added as a feature in the next update?

DC