Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Input level indicator/meter

johnfranklinjohnfranklin YorkshirePosts: 12
edited May 2021 in General Discussion

Hi all....
I'd like to be able to see if my input level is clipping or is too quiet. Like a meter on a mixer, or interface. Even a little red 'clipping' dot like on smaller interfaces would do. A meter would be excellent.

The only way I'm judging appropriate line in levels is auditioning a synth or drum and using my ear to see if I'm roughly working at similar volumes.
Does it exist in the deluge?

Cheers

Post edited by johnfranklin on

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I don't think there's a way other than listening to it at the moment. I think it starts compressing the sound as soon as the output level reaches the limit, rather than distorting it. I once resampled a track where the clips were way too loud and was surprised that the resampled file sounded nothing like the output that I got while just playing the project. So I think there are some analog limits to it that don't apply when digitally resampling it internally.

I have developed the habit to keep the volume of every row very low at about one to two LEDs and mix it at that level. That way there's enough headroom and I can do a bit of maximizing afterwards in my DAW.

johnfranklinjohnfranklin YorkshirePosts: 12

Thanks for the reply. Working at low levels is a good tip, cheers!

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67

@Heptagen said:
    I have developed the habit to keep the volume of every row very low at about one to two LEDs and mix it at that level. That way there's enough headroom and I can do a bit of maximizing afterwards in my DAW.

Yes, I also use this idea - actually I sample or resample stuff then head off to Audacity to get what I need. However, I would also enjoy being able to see input levels in some form, or maybe if you record at a low level simply have a normalize option on a Deluge, it's pretty standard on most software nowadays.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277
    edited May 2021

@joesh said:
    or maybe if you record at a low level simply have a normalize option on a Deluge, it's pretty standard on most software nowadays.

From the deluge manual:

"After recording samples into a kit, the Deluge digitally normalises the volume level of a recorded sample to make it as loud as possible without clipping. Note: Recorded audio clips are not normalised in this way."

This applies to anything recorded into a synth or a kit. :smile:

Post edited by Heptagen on
    LetrasetLetraset UKPosts: 15

Has anyone else come up with a way to avoid clipping without loosing audio quality by recording at a low level? So weird that it doesn’t already have a clipping indicator on the line input, recording through the internal microphone already has it, seems like it wouldn’t be too difficult to implement.