Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Click while recording output

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297
edited April 2021 in Deluge Help

I am getting more frustrated by the minute. When recording the output from another synth to an audioclip I get a noticable click at the beginning of the audio clip. This never happend before and I dont know why. Yes margin is on, but this renders the machine useless.

Sorry guys, not cool.

Thinking of returning the unit. What is the problem here?

Post edited by jensg on

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Hard to know the cause of the problem in this specific case. But you can probably correct this by moving the start marker in waveform view (using the waveform shortcut). Just zoom in and moving it a bit closer to a zero crossing should do the trick.

Also, you can add an attack to the start of the clip using the envelope 1 attack shortcut. But this only adds it to the initial launch and doesn’t affect once it loops.

Well it clicks. Its supposed to loop but it alway clicks. thats the basic function of loop based recording and producing. ableton gets this right, even old mpcs

I tried with the attack on every level, put it even in a kit to have full envelopes. nothing: always clicking. even randomly, sometimes after 1 interval, sometimes after the second.

this unit seems buggy. need to return it. this does not work.

very sad / bad.

and zeroing in does not work because this throws off the timing (and the clking does not go away anyway). so I am at a loss here.

Are you on the latest firmware release (3.1.5)?
    You can check this in the settings menu.

If there are still clicks with start and end markers on zero crossings, I’d wonder it’s the audio itself.
    Have you made sure you have appropriate headroom so there’s no clipping?

yes latest firmware. 3.1.5.

The audio is fine, its all perfect level. hard to tell if there is a zero crossing bc the waveform is kinda hard to tell. then again: it should just loop. like ableton or any other digital loop. the synth (just 1 track, for debugging purposes only) is playing fine, no clipping, nothing.

it just does not loop correctly, as you would expect a recording of a file that is done in the machine itself.

but it just pops. again and again. try it for yourself. one synth, record "output" and make some tail that loops over the beginning: pop / click.

I just tried what you described and I’m not getting a click/pop. I tried both including the tail in the first recording pass and not including it.

If you want to do a collect all save and send the files to me I can take a look and maybe spot the issue.
    michaeljbulaw@gmail.com

edited April 2021

I’ll add that if the synth you’re recording has tails past the loop end it’s usually a good idea to record after the first loop passes so the tails aren’t cut off.

Post edited by Too_Mere on

that's very nice. i send it over.

Before sending it though, I will describe this again, maybe I was not clear in the beginning:

So, I am trying to resample a 2 bar loop of an internal Deluge synth clip with the tails of the reverb looped over to the beginning. So far so simple. But now, when recording the "Output" into a new audio clip, a click / pop is introduced in the new audio clip. Nothing helps: neither zooming into the beginning to find the zero-crossing nor increasing the attack of the new audio clip.

The only thing that's working-ish is to put the recorded audio clip into a kit with a long attack and release. Now this introduces a very noticable "ducking" and is again unusable like the clicky clip.

Resampling with "rec play - rec play" does not work either, because the tail of the reverb at the beginning is only first audible after one iteration of the original synth clip. I could resample a longer loop and try to limit the audio clip to the relevant portion in waveform view or audio clip view. But this again introduces clicks or pops at the beginning or end (it's hard to tell) of the new audio clip.

So, a seemingly simple step (resampling a loop) results in unusable clicky or "ducked" material. Is there something I am missing or does it simply not work?

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

sidechain can introduce clicks, maybe this?

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@jensg said:
    Before sending it though, I will describe this again, maybe I was not clear in the beginning:

So, I am trying to resample a 2 bar loop of an internal Deluge synth clip with the tails of the reverb looped over to the beginning. So far so simple. But now, when recording the "Output" into a new audio clip, a click / pop is introduced in the new audio clip. Nothing helps: neither zooming into the beginning to find the zero-crossing nor increasing the attack of the new audio clip.

The only thing that's working-ish is to put the recorded audio clip into a kit with a long attack and release. Now this introduces a very noticable "ducking" and is again unusable like the clicky clip.

Resampling with "rec play - rec play" does not work either, because the tail of the reverb at the beginning is only first audible after one iteration of the original synth clip. I could resample a longer loop and try to limit the audio clip to the relevant portion in waveform view or audio clip view. But this again introduces clicks or pops at the beginning or end (it's hard to tell) of the new audio clip.

So, a seemingly simple step (resampling a loop) results in unusable clicky or "ducked" material. Is there something I am missing or does it simply not work?

The problem you are describing isn't unique to the Deluge. Any audio recording will make a click/pop if cut anywhere else than at a zero crossing - the problem is the reverb tail. Hard to get a zero crossing in a reverb tail.
    If you want to preserve the reverb tail when looping as you say, what you need to do is get an overdub of the tail, where the 2 bar loop stops playing on the second pass that gets the tail.
    When you record the Output clip, use the continuous layering loop command (Settings menu, midi commands) instead of the normal looping command.
    This will record an overdub right after the first loop. Once the tail overdub (the second pass) has started recording, press the red bar on the grid, to stop any subsequent overdubs afterwards.

The best way to do this would be to make the 2 bar loop play 1 cycle while recording the output, and muting the 2bar loop on the second pass while the overdub records the reverb tail.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@volsteh said:
    sidechain can introduce clicks, maybe this?

there is no sc active.

i found this in the manual:

When margins are on, all audio clips recorded from external input sources
    (i.e. not MIX or OUTPut), will have these extra short “margins” of audio
    recorded

This means no margins for Resampling or output / mix.

why? clicks in samples are a no-go. making the function (resampling, record “mix / output“ into audio clip) kind of pointless.

edited April 2021

@Icoustik said:

@jensg said:

The problem you are describing isn't unique to the Deluge. Any audio recording will make a click/pop if cut anywhere else than at a zero crossing - the problem is the reverb tail. Hard to get a zero crossing in a reverb tail.
    If you want to preserve the reverb tail when looping as you say, what you need to do is get an overdub of the tail, where the 2 bar loop stops playing on the second pass that gets the tail.
    When you record the Output clip, use the continuous layering loop command (Settings menu, midi commands) instead of the normal looping command.
    This will record an overdub right after the first loop. Once the tail overdub (the second pass) has started recording, press the red bar on the grid, to stop any subsequent overdubs afterwards.

The best way to do this would be to make the 2 bar loop play 1 cycle while recording the output, and muting the 2bar loop on the second pass while the overdub records the reverb tail.

Thanks for this super detailed analysis and possible solution. I know this is possible in ableton (looping a clip seamlessly) so it can be done somehow without any overdubs or so. At least thats what I figured from using it for years, you can input for example a continuous tone and it will just loop, no pop, crackle or the like. To go the extra mile for just making this simple procedure would be a complete showstopper for production. it would also mean that the audio clip loop function (from internal sources) is kind of meaningless then. Why loop anything if it pops?

Again: the margin feature is there for external audio input and tries to remedy this problem fairly good. it just is not present for resampling or recording internally (output / mix). which is a bummer. or I am missing something.

will try your method, although i dont really understand it. lets put the thinking hat on.

Post edited by jensg on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited April 2021

@jensg said:

it would also mean that the audio clip loop function (from internal sources) is kind of meaningless then. Why loop anything if it pops?

Like I said, the problem is the specific audio material i.e. a continuous sound (reverb tail). There is no problem looping stuff that isn't continuous/ drones, I use it all the time for drums for example.
    For looping drone-type stuff, advanced crossfading of the start and end points must be done in order for the sound to appear seamless.
    Margins means crossfading, though, its not super advanced. However, clearly, as you said, trying to loop a continuous drone sound without even the margins function will indeed prove difficult.
    The mentioned technique will get you closer, but the function of margins or crossfading would for sure be optimal for the MIX/ OUTP sources as well. But no can do

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Even without any clicks or pops, I don’t imagine you’d want the reverb tail to get cut off the way you describe. I would highly recommend using one the above mentioned methods to include the tail into the beginning of a loop.

I will give. both methods a try. thank you two for hanging in there with me.

I am sure one day a kind of "fade"-mechanism will magically appear on the del.

edited May 2021

Just a follow up on this, an answer from Ian (synthstrom):

Ok, so I've taken a closer look at the previous issue you had. So yes, you are correct the Deluge doesn't record margins on the output and mix, due to a few reasons, but yeah, there is a way that in this particular workflow you can eliminate the clicks, though you might change the sound of the synth a little. basically you just need to have the retrig phase on for each oscillator, so just press Shift + retrig phase for osc1 and Osc 2 and make sure its not OFF. It doesn't matter what it's set to, you might need to experiment to get the sound close to what you want.

Post edited by jensg on