β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Samples that won't import (and best practices)

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

Howdy,
Fairly new to the Deluge (and having a blast!). Quick sample-related question...

I put a bunch of new WAV samples onto my SDCARD and when I went to load them into a Kit slot, I got "Unsupported" for most of the files.

So, I searched the forum and found this thread where it said that the Deluge should support:

"Stereo and mono. Native format = 44kHz 24bit, but will play anything up to 96kHz 32bit"

I opened the samples in Audacity and they appear to be "44100Hz and 32-bit float." If I export them as 24-bit and put them back on the Deluge, they load just fine.

Happy to do that (thought it's a LOT of samples to convert!), but just curious if there's an obvious reason why these won't import as-is? Attaching a few here for reference: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sz_zaZ9poz-sDK6-LrRsxtQnsxCtn_YQ?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance,
Phillip.

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

I downloaded your samples, but they are 24 bit:

In Audacity, the bit-depth shown to left of the waveform is the resolution the file is imported at according to your Quality Preferences, and not the actual bit depth of the file.

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Yeah it looks like those files are 44.1khz/24bit. No reason they shouldn’t work that I can tell.
    You should send them to @rohan to have a look I think.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@phillipadsmith said:
    Howdy,
    Fairly new to the Deluge (and having a blast!). Quick sample-related question...

I put a bunch of new WAV samples onto my SDCARD and when I went to load them into a Kit slot, I got "Unsupported" for most of the files.

So, I searched the forum and found this thread where it said that the Deluge should support:

"Stereo and mono. Native format = 44kHz 24bit, but will play anything up to 96kHz 32bit"

I opened the samples in Audacity and they appear to be "44100Hz and 32-bit float." If I export them as 24-bit and put them back on the Deluge, they load just fine.

Happy to do that (thought it's a LOT of samples to convert!), but just curious if there's an obvious reason why these won't import as-is? Attaching a few here for reference: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sz_zaZ9poz-sDK6-LrRsxtQnsxCtn_YQ?usp=sharing

Many thanks in advance,
    Phillip.

Send a mail to rohan@synthstrom.com with your samples, he should be able to tell what the problem is, for future reference and possible bugfixing :)

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

Thanks everyone. I'll send them over to Rohan to see what's up. πŸ™

@volsteh said:

In Audacity, the bit-depth shown to left of the waveform is the resolution the file is imported at according to your Quality Preferences, and not the actual bit depth of the file.

Thanks for this info @volsteh, I didn't realize that! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

@phillipadsmith said:

@volsteh said:

Thanks for this info @volsteh, I didn't realize that! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

NP, afaik there is no way to check a file bit depth in Audacity.

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

There is an issue with the specific header info of 24-bit WAV -- there is a "legacy" Microsoft PCM standard and an "extensible" PCM format which Microsoft added some years ago... The Deluge (and some other HW and SW!!) doesn't support the extensible format.

The best way to check is use https://www.metadata2go.com/ and compare with the following examples:

Supported PCM WAV format:

Unsupported PCM WAV format:

It's a bit odd that the audio "payload" data is exactly the same, but the headers make the difference between some SW/HW being able to read it or not. I use Goldwave audio editor which allows you to choose "obsolete" and batch process many files in one go. I'm assuming Audacity only supports "legacy" PCM which works everywhere.

I keep meaning to raise this with Synthstrom but I have an easy workaround... maybe Ian or Rohan will see this and comment :)

@Mugwood said:
    There is an issue with the specific header info of 24-bit WAV -- there is a "legacy" Microsoft PCM standard and an "extensible" PCM format which Microsoft added some years ago... The Deluge (and some other HW and SW!!) doesn't support the extensible format.

The best way to check is use https://www.metadata2go.com/ and compare with the following examples:

Supported PCM WAV format:

Unsupported PCM WAV format:

It's a bit odd that the audio "payload" data is exactly the same, but the headers make the difference between some SW/HW being able to read it or not. I use Goldwave audio editor which allows you to choose "obsolete" and batch process many files in one go. I'm assuming Audacity only supports "legacy" PCM which works everywhere.

I keep meaning to raise this with Synthstrom but I have an easy workaround... maybe Ian or Rohan will see this and comment :)

Great info! Thanks for figuring this out. Im gonna tag @Ian_Jorgensen and @rohan, this may help them out.

MugwoodMugwood DenmarkPosts: 18

@volsteh - you're welcome! It's not just Deluge, we also found the issue in Reaktor and have heard it's an issue in Energy XT. Frankly, it's Microsoft's fault for messing with the standard ;)

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@rohan should be interested indeed!

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—