Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

No timestretching in arranger for audio clips

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

I searched, but I cant find a definitve answer and the manual is sparse on this topic.

I am trying to do a simple overdub on a WAV file (beat) from a computer in arranger view. When I insert the audio clip into the arranger view, it tries to timestretch it. I dont want that. Also, I know about the kit-clip-method, but I need to skip ahead further down the WAV file to record my overdubs onto so I cant use the kit-clip-method as I would need to start the kit playback always from the very beginning.

So how do I do this?

Also this might be related: when recording the output of the deluge into a new audio-clip track in arranger view, the resulting recording plays fine on the deluge. But when I resample (start the resampling in the arranger view with play + record to have it sync) and then bring the resample-file back into the arranger, it will timestretch again (very weirdly) and not play fine.

Why is that and how to plainly play a file like it was intended to (without any timestretch or any pitch shift or what not?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Warping is always applied to audio clips. The warping will not affect the audio if the clip length is correct and tempo is set to that of the original (tempo matching can be done by holding the tempo knob and pressing the audio clip).

To achieve the simple overdub example with the wav from your computer, make sure the wav is exactly ‘x’ bars long. Then verify that the deluge audio clip you load it in is also set to ‘x’ bars. You can adjust this with shift + horizontal knob.

Similarly with your resampling, make sure the end is right on the bar end. This should happen automatically if you also use rec + play to end the resampling.

Hey, thanks again for getting back so fast.

Hm, I sometimes get files that are not exactly "X" bars. So thats not going to work. The tempo is read from the file nonetheless correct (if I resample like in the 2nd example). But if the bar lenght is something odd then this method does not work either.

I will check out rec + play resampling but as I said, this probably does not work for not "perfect" endings.

why cant we just turn off timestrechting?

edited April 2021

and what do you mean by "correct clip length"? always a full bar / measure?

Post edited by jensg on

You should be able to trim the files to exact measures within your DAW/computer.
    If not, you can adjust the clip lengths before resampling and that should do the trick.

The deluge is a loop based sequencer after all. Even Ableton doesn’t allow looping unless the audio is warped. The key is making sure length and tempo are matched to avoid the effects of warping. This is why recording direct to an audio clip will not appear warped unless you change tempo.

ah so maybe this could be the trick? import the file to an audio clip in arranger, lengthen the clip to an even measure and then it should work?

By correct clip length I mean if you export a 4 bar drum loop from your computer you should make sure loads as a 4 bar audio clip on deluge. If it loads as a 3 bar clip, for example, it won’t play as intended. Thus shift + horizontal knob would be needed.

@jensg said:
    ah so maybe this could be the trick? import the file to an audio clip in arranger, lengthen the clip to an even measure and then it should work?

This would also need to be the “correct length” to avoid warping.

edited April 2021

thing is: I dont want any looping. I just want to play a file as it was intended.

simple but seemingly impossible.

Post edited by jensg on

Not impossible. I would load the sample into a kit. Adjust the clip length then resample with rec + play as described above. Then you should be able to load that into an audio clip of the same length without warping.

@Too_Mere said:
    Not impossible. I would load the sample into a kit. Adjust the clip length then resample with rec + play as described above. Then you should be able to load that into an audio clip of the same length without warping.

that seems to be the only solution for external clips. tedious but might work.

but what about resampling an arranger view song (with not a perfect ending) and re-importing it as an audio clip? I just tried it and its off too, because its not a perfect loop (as sometimes tails are there at the end. I cannot resample to a perfect ending in arranger, even when pressing "rec + play" in arranger view.

this would be so simple if there was just an option "autostretch off" (like warping off in ableton).

then again: thank you for helping me out on this one! greatly appreciated!

No problem! :-)
    Just add a blank clip that ends exactly on the next bar, after tails have faded. You should be able to get an exact number of bars that way.

edited April 2021

@Too_Mere said:
    No problem! :-)
    Just add a blank clip that ends exactly on the next bar, after tails have faded. You should be able to get an exact number of bars that way.

thats a very fine suggestion! will try this. again: thank you.

Post edited by jensg on

My pleasure 👍🏼