Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SPD- SX and using it with Deluge

RopRop RotterdamBeta Tester Posts: 17
edited March 2021 in General Discussion

Hi,
Anyone there using the Roland SPD-SX in combination with the Deluge. My drummer wants to use it live with my tracks.

• what is your experience
  • what's possible, learning and playing along using samples from DLG
  • velocities, syncing a.s.o.
    Hope you can help me in new directions/ideas
    Thanks, Rob
Post edited by Rop on

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited March 2021

Hey Rob :)
    In my experience this will work very well, and is quite customizable.

To play the Deluge with the SPD, simply set up kits to be used on the Delly (don't have any more samples in kits than are needed, sounds that just sit around ready to be streamed from the SD without being used will still take up a small amount of CPU).
    Then midi learn SPD pads to the Deluge sounds using midi notes (hold a kit pad + Learn button and then hit an SPD pad). Its possible to trigger multiple Deluge samples with one pad.
    These midi learns can be saved to a song file and made into a template, so you don't have to learn the pads to the kits over and over.

Many possibilities here, such as using Delly FX on the samples played by the SPD, and automating or modulating them. Midi looping is easy too.

Syncing, I'm not too sure about, but it'll probably be easy to e.g. sync SPD's delay tempo to the D.

There are no real velocity layers on the Delly, but there's a way: if you load a lower velocity sample to OSC1, and a higher velocity sample to OSC2, and then patch OSC1 volume to Velocity mod source @ negative 25-50, and OSC2 volume to Velocity @ +25-50. This will make lower velocity playing trigger more of the OSC1 sample, and higher velocity will trigger more of the OSC2 sample.

For drum sounds, I recommend patching their pitch (Master transpose shortcut, 7th column from the left, 2nd pad from the bottom) to Random (mod source at rightmost column, 3rd pad from bottom) at a slight value of 1-4. This will give subtle variations in pitch per drum strike, and will be pleasing to the brain :)

You can also get nice variations in sound by patching Velocity to drum sounds' envelope;
    lower velocity playing shortens the decay, for example, which is done by patching a drum sound's Decay (9th column from left, 3rd pad from bottom) to the Velocity mod source (rightmost, 2nd pad from bottom).
    Note that the Sustain (shortcut underneath Decay) must first be turned to 0 for the decay to take effect.

Anything else you're thinking of?

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

RopRop RotterdamBeta Tester Posts: 17

Hi Icoustic
    Lots of possibilties and quite a extended answer, thanks for that.
    We're going to try it out, guess some questions will pop up.
    DLG rulezz
    Waiting for MPE, my Seaboard wants a new friend:)))))
    Cheers,
    Rob

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Cheers! :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

BolganiBolgani SuomiPosts: 61

@Icoustik said:
    There are no real velocity layers on the Delly, but there's a way: if you load a lower velocity sample to OSC1, and a higher velocity sample to OSC2, and then patch OSC1 volume to Velocity mod source @ negative 25-50, and OSC2 volume to Velocity @ +25-50. This will make lower velocity playing trigger more of the OSC1 sample, and higher velocity will trigger more of the OSC2 sample.

Hmm yeah, nice idea! I have a Roland Handsonic so will try this out with that.