Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Play kits in keyboard mode? (MPC style)

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277
edited March 2021 in Deluge Help

Is there an option to play kits on the grid instead of just on the audition section? The keyboard button has no function in kits.
My problem is that whenever I slice up a sample into more than 8 slices, I cant reach them all with the audition pads, which makes playing the slices musically very limiting.

I thought about using a midi cable to connect the midi out with the midi in (like a loop, back into itself) and learning a midi track to the kit, but the problem is that the mapping process requires me to hold down the pad I want to map and I cant switch to the midi track and press the audition pad there while doing that.

Am I the only one with that problem? I'd be seriously surprised, it seems too obvious to me, also because of the big overlap in functionality between the MPCs and the deluge.
Is there a solution I overlooked?

Post edited by Heptagen on
Tagged:

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Nope, sorry, can't do that currently. Its been suggested before, its noted, and Synthstrom is not open for any feature suggestions threads right now.

For the workaround mapping process - you can simply use a midi keyboard with the same notes and channel to midi learn as you would then use with midi loopback :) Map first, then save (note that these pad mappings are saved to the song/ project, not the kit preset), then loopback play.

Another thing that's possible is loading what would be the kit samples as multisamples (ie. in a synth clip) instead - but in order to map out the samples across the pads in an organized fashion, one needs to give the sample files wav tags, AKA metadata, to determine their note names/numbers. This will then override Deluge's pitch detection when loading multisamples.
    This free program can be used to batch-insert note metadata to sample files based on filenames, its easy:
    https://bjoernbojahr.de/endlesswav.html

Personally I play pads via midi with a Launchpad Pro. Since the Deluge pads aren't velocity sensitive.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Hey thanks for your answer.
    These workarounds are vibe killers when you're in the zone and just want to get things down. I appreciate you thinking this through, but its not going to work for me.
    Seems like I just have to bite the bullet and buy a MPD 218 or something until synthstrom implements this feature.

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@Icoustik said:
    Map first, then save (note that these pad mappings are saved to the song/ project, not the kit preset), then loopback play.

Even if you save the mapping, you would have to re-map every time you slice a new audio, correct? Afaik, you can reuse the mapping if the kit is already created/saved but not if you are making a fresh one

Using MIDI with Slices/kits can be tough.. once I wanted to map volume of a kit to an external controller (which you can't) so instead I mapped it to each individual slice (16 of them) but then I recorded an automation I didn't like and had to clear them all.

@lcoustik I think you're on to something with using a synth clip.. I can imagine an update which allows for slices to be played as synth notes. (not requesting, just imagining .. I can edit if this is not allowed)

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@Heptagen said:
    Is there an option to play kits on the grid instead of just on the audition section? The keyboard button has no function in kits.
    My problem is that whenever I slice up a sample into more than 8 slices, I cant reach them all with the audition pads, which makes playing the slices musically very limiting.

I thought about using a midi cable to connect the midi out with the midi in (like a loop, back into itself) and learning a midi track to the kit, but the problem is that the mapping process requires me to hold down the pad I want to map and I cant switch to the midi track and press the audition pad there while doing that.

I wasn't going to write about this until I had done some more testing, but: MIDI loopback on the Deluge totally works. (I would advise setting the Deluge not to receive MIDI clock, lest it confuse itself. But if you sometimes WANT the Deluge to receive MIDI clock, probably turning off send instead would work just as well.) And if you sequence a single note and have that clip soloed playing in a loop, you'll get a repeating trigger you can MIDI learn on a different clip.

I was thinking about using it to override how the Deluge handles synth parameters (if only one clip even DEFINES any synth parameters, then clearly the issue of "I edited it in this clip, how come it's still the old value in the other clip" can just never come up), but quite possibly there's something interesting to use this for in kits as well.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Kenoubi said:
    I was thinking about using it to override how the Deluge handles synth parameters (if only one clip even DEFINES any synth parameters, then clearly the issue of "I edited it in this clip, how come it's still the old value in the other clip" can just never come up), but quite possibly there's something interesting to use this for in kits as well.

Yeah, a bunch of people use it this way, for keeping synth clip values the same :)
    About kits, it could be debated whether the most useful is the midi loopback technique or the multisample loading.
    They have their pros and cons.
    Personally I lean towards the multisample loading approach.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ