Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Philarmonia orchestra samples converted to multisample with dual velocity layers for OSC1 and OSC2

MonitusMonitus SpainBeta Tester Posts: 24

Hi all! given I could not find a complete version of orchestral samples with several velocities and notes, I took the freely downloadable samples here:
https://philharmonia.co.uk/resources/sound-samples/
And converted them to wav, removed the unneeded, organised in folders, and chosen 2 velocity layers for the two oscillators of Deluge.

The result is a folder structured for copying to Deluge and ready to create synths with multisample feature:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eDUTuMZ4wnmaxAXYbl5mkixha9NDM3k/view?usp=sharing

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Thanks Monitus.
    How do you do velocity layers in your Deluge presets?

impurfektimpurfekt USAPosts: 22
    edited June 2020

@amiga909 said:
    Thanks Monitus.

I'd love to know as well. I was under the impression multi-velocity multi-sample instruments weren't supported.

Edit: It occurs to me one could assign a different set of samples to each oscillator then modulate velocity to change the oscillator mix. Would that work? Or are multi-samples limited to one oscillator?

Post edited by impurfekt on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@amiga909 said:
    Thanks Monitus.

The old OSC1/ OSC2 volume fading with volume patched to velocity.

@impurfekt : Yes, that's the way.

Its also possible to use some external midi magic - I use iphone/ ipad + Midiflow app - to split velocity ranges to different midi channels, using one synth clip per velocity layer on the Deluge. I have 2 Deluges so I'll dedicate 1 to such tasks for instruments :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Nice!

ah hoped u may have a new way. as discussed before the old way modulating osc1/osc2 does not work for me, it does mix layers but not split. gets me somewhere, far fetched to say this the way, thats just too superficial for me. i can do wicked stuff with 2 multisample sources, sadly no velocity layering.

edited June 2020

@amiga909 said:
    ah hoped u may have a new way. as discussed before the old way modulating osc1/osc2 does not work for me, it does mix layers but not split. gets me somewhere, far fetched to say this the way, thats just too superficial for me. i can do wicked stuff with 2 multisample sources, sadly no velocity layering.

I just messed with multisamples for a while. I didn't find a way to assign another layer of multisamples to the second oscillator. They only apply to the first oscillator. Perhaps I'm missing something.

@impurfekt said:

I just messed with multisamples for a while. I didn't find a way to assign another layer of multisamples to the second oscillator. They only apply to the first oscillator. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Hit SHIFT + the pad right to "Browse" Shortcut
    You may need to start with a fresh, initialized synth.

Saddens me a I have asked a few times how exactly "the old way" should work for a velocity split and it seems to me I am the only one who didnt get it or actually digs deeper. Velocity layering is not possible unless teamed up with Midi processing like Midiflow. And there are no useful approximations for velocity splits either. Happy to learn if I am wrong.

Of course it is still a wicked feature to have 2 sample sources in 1 preset. I could get some really nice patches with single cycle waveforms using 2 wavs and modulating OSC1/OSC2 individually. Struggled to find useful applications for 2 multisamples for me so far.

edited June 2020

@amiga909 said:
    Hit SHIFT + the pad right to "Browse" Shortcut
    You may need to start with a fresh, initialized synth.

slaps forehead

I see now. Thanks! The whole first column applies to "Sample 1" and the second column applies to "Sample 2". I wish the manual mentioned this stuff.

@amiga909 said:

Its the only way currently :p Its not actual velocity layering per se, but it achieves similar results when the osc volumes are mixed right. I use it all the time. And Midiflow when I need more.
    I've personally suggested velocity layers to Rohan a while ago, and he did agree that its a cool idea.
    So maybe, perhaps, in the future

@Icoustik said:

Its the only way currently :p Its not actual velocity layering per se, but it achieves similar results when the osc volumes are mixed right. I use it all the time.

How exactly? You have an example patch?

did some digging, thats what Icoustik probably meant with "the old way", thanks for helping me out, bro ;-)

neilbaldwin said:
    You can already do it a bit on kits. I just posted this on the Facebook group:

Nice little 'velocity mapping' you can do on kits.
    Assign a snare to OSC 1. Assign a different snare to OSC 2.
    Set the volume of OSC1 and OSC 2 to 25.
    Map VELOCITY to the Volume of OSC1 @ -50 and then map it to OSC2 @ +50
    Stick some snares down on a track. Hold the pad and turn the X knob to change velocity. The lower the velocity the more the snare on OSC1 will be heard. The higher the velocity the more you'll hear the snare on OSC2.

It does work better with OSC1 and OSC 2 to 25. If they are both on 50, the modulation range is not wide enough. For my needs it does not work well enough with multisamples, it is interesting for sounds that profit from being mixed (like drums), I ll play around with that more.
    however, dont believe what some guy wrote on the internet and try yourself ;-)

ChickenjazzChickenjazz GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 4

any chance of a re-upload ? :)

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited March 2021

Im downloading the original samples now to check them out, noticed they are mp3 64-96 Kbps...
    Plucked start times are all over the place...

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

psylenspsylens USPosts: 6

Would love to download this if anyone can provide a new link. In the meantime, i have downloaded the original philharmonic samples to see what i can come up with.

@psylens said:
    Would love to download this if anyone can provide a new link. In the meantime, i have downloaded the original philharmonic samples to see what i can come up with.

You can also try this:
    https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1739/vsco-orchestral-multisample-library/p1