Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New Deluge manual / producer guide out now.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited December 2019 in News

Exciting news!

Today we can announce the arrival of our new manual / producers guide. A collaboration with the brilliant SynthDawg. This new step-by-step guide to the Deluge features an abundance of helpful diagrams, graphics and workflow ideas.

We’re very happy to announce that this fantastic guide is available right now as a free PDF download for all users.

If you would like to order a print version of this glorious 284 page, full colour book, you can do so now from our website for $22 USD + shipping. (Shipped from Dec 13th)

From **11th December **we will no longer be shipping a printed manual with the Deluge for free, instead we will be supplying a PDF on the SD card and customers can choose to purchase the print edition if they wish.

From now until the 11th Dec we will be shipping a draft/slightly lower quality print edition of the new manual/producers guide for free with purchased Deluges.

Thank you wholeheartedly to Neil (Synthdawg) for his incredible work on this manual, it’s beautiful.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

It is beautiful! Thank you so much. Fantastic!

030030 SO36Posts: 16

thank you mucho.
    this is bombastic.

HAINEZeeHAINEZee United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 21

You guys are awesome!! If only our politicians kept promises like you do!!
    Thank you!:)

Absolutely outstanding work. Thank you so much.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Excellent work guys, great to see the collab! Well done to all involved.

Hoping for a printed copy which opens right out and lays flat, like for example spiral bound rather than staples?

smbennsmbenn Brighton, UKBeta Tester Posts: 23

@darenager said:
    Excellent work guys, great to see the collab! Well done to all involved.

Hoping for a printed copy which opens right out and lays flat, like for example spiral bound rather than staples?

Yes, great news, thanks Ian, can't wait to dive in. As darenager says will it lay flat?

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

Wow, excellent work. The old manual reads like a steadily grown reference book and is hard to handle sometimes. The producers guide is super well explained in detail. It's more like "deluge for dummies". It definitely helps to avoid frustrations! Looking forward for my printed copy.

Brass side of life: JTK

matsmats GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 4

Very well done indeed.

I love printed manuals, but I am considering to have the manual printed and bound at a local or online printshop, rather than have it shipped all the way from NZ.

The title of the PDF suggests ("wiro...) that the document might be suitable for Wir-O binding (ie. the pages are held together by metal wire loops and the finished booklet can be opened flat on a table and up to a 360° angle).

bgeorgebgeorge TexasPosts: 4

Really been looking forward to this! But... $44 shipped from NZ for print is really painful. Could you set up a Lulu portal or something like that? Love you guys, thanks for putting this thing together.

SolejkushaoSolejkushao MarseilleBeta Tester Posts: 38

Congrats to all the persons involved! It's a great guide, very complete and clear.

edited December 2019

@bgeorge said:
    Really been looking forward to this! But... $44 shipped from NZ for print is really painful. Could you set up a Lulu portal or something like that? Love you guys, thanks for putting this thing together.

Maybe you put two in your cart? They should be $30 shipped to the US.
    We decided to make a really decent quality offset printed book as the option is there for printing out or using on digital devices, but yeah, the ones we're selling are really great quality books.

The printed one we sell will not lay flat. It's a huge manual (as you can see) and is perfect bound. For one to lay flat you'll need to print yourself and get wire bound, any copy centre will be able to take care of that for you.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Finally got around to logging in again and ordering my 3.0 shortcuts overlay and what’s this? A great manual out now. Perfect. Thanks to everyone that works hard at making the Deluge one of the best purchases for music gear!

RedpandaRedpanda BerlinPosts: 21

My biggest thanks to Neil & Ian. Can't wait to get mine, ordered one after digging 5mins into the PDF ;)

dasnicedasnice ShanghaiPosts: 6

Really appreciate all of this!!

youremostwelcomeyouremostwelcome AustraliaPosts: 4

Hey guys, is this document intended to 'replace' the Deluge manual, or to sit beside it? Ie. do I need both documents, or has this got everything that the original manual has + more?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@youremostwelcome said:
    Hey guys, is this document intended to 'replace' the Deluge manual, or to sit beside it? Ie. do I need both documents, or has this got everything that the original manual has + more?

Good question. My 2 cents:

• we ll see if they keep updating both docs in future.
    • the new guide is great, havent found anything relevant missing, could.not find a commands cheat sheet section though. It defines itself as formal reference and that what it seems to be in essence. Havent found new info for me but the visualizations are really great, for me to look up stuff the new formal way is better, the old manual has more lengthy explanations with more depth. So i'd say read both. Imho, long term, they should merge both manuals into one official manual. No complaint, great to have 2 nice docs!
    youremostwelcomeyouremostwelcome AustraliaPosts: 4

Sounds pretty logical to me amiga. Reckon I'll just get them both printed!

SynthdawgSynthdawg YorkshireBeta Tester Posts: 4

Good feedback guys, thanks

iFreilichtiFreilicht GermanyPosts: 39

@youremostwelcome said:

Synthstrom Audible Deluge manual (online only) View the Synthstrom Audible Deluge manual on Google Docs. This is no longer updated (as of Dec 2019)

Seems like the new guide is the definite and only guide. This wording also implies that the new guide will indeed get updates like the old one did.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

My 0.02: They're both worthwhile.

The Deluge Manual is more, well, manually. It goes through all the functions in a "this is the way the machine is built" order. As @amiga909 said, it goes into more detail in some places.

The Guidebook is a little bit more "so you want to record a synth track, here are the steps". Trades depth for easy flow? Ends up being a bit repetitive sometimes because it's set up so that you can hop into the middle of a chapter and still get something done. It's got super graphs, and the flow diagrams at the top of each chapter are great.

I went through the Guidebook when I was getting introduced to the D, but once I got most of it under my fingers, I like the Manual as a reference. Heck, I even feel that the Manual could go into more depth at times.

@iFreilicht said:

@youremostwelcome said:

Synthstrom Audible Deluge manual (online only)   View the Synthstrom Audible Deluge manual on Google Docs.   This is no longer updated (as of Dec 2019)

Seems like the new guide is the definite and only guide. This wording also implies that the new guide will indeed get updates like the old one did.

It is unlikely we will continue updating the older online manual and just continue with the producers guide in future.

edited February 2021

Will the printed version of the producer guide be updated to 3.2?
    I just lost my 3.0 version of the printed guide I ordered back in Jan 2020. I will not order the actual 3.1x unit if it will be updated when 3.2 hits. Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Redpanda on

The next time we print, it will be to whichever version we have running at the time of printing.. sorry :/, I can't be more exact than that. We still have a fair number of 3.1 manuals left to get through. If 3.2 comes out before we run out of 3.1 editions, we include a little printed addendum with any changes from 3.1 to 3.2.
    Like my first girlfriends dad always used to say, 'if you wait around for the latest version, you'll be waiting forever'.

haha, 20 years later, and I still can't shake that expression.

porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

At least here in the US, I was able to on-demand print an A4-size version of the manual for around ~$15 USD, and about $5 in shipping costs. It's pretty nicely bound and everything! I didn't have to tinker with pages or bleed configs at all. I figured it was kinda wasteful to get one shipped all the way across the pacific just because I forgot to buy one during regular checkout.

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    The next time we print, it will be to whichever version we have running at the time of printing.. sorry :/, I can't be more exact than that. We still have a fair number of 3.1 manuals left to get through. If 3.2 comes out before we run out of 3.1 editions, we include a little printed addendum with any changes from 3.1 to 3.2.
    Like my first girlfriends dad always used to say, 'if you wait around for the latest version, you'll be waiting forever'.

haha, 20 years later, and I still can't shake that expression.

Haha, you have a point there. Thanks for being honest and as always: much appreciated what you do for us as a community. No matter what version the guide is bonkers, other companies do not even invest in manuals any more.

ultraeverythingultraeverything Austin, TXBeta Tester Posts: 3

@porkloin said:
    At least here in the US, I was able to on-demand print an A4-size version of the manual for around ~$15 USD, and about $5 in shipping costs. It's pretty nicely bound and everything! I didn't have to tinker with pages or bleed configs at all. I figured it was kinda wasteful to get one shipped all the way across the pacific just because I forgot to buy one during regular checkout.

This is great @porkloin! Which service did you use?

porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

@ultraeverything said:

@porkloin said:

I used lulu.com, but I'm sure there are others that are similarly priced. I looked at a few and mostly settled on lulu since their web tool was easier to use.

ultraeverythingultraeverything Austin, TXBeta Tester Posts: 3

@porkloin said:

@ultraeverything said:

@porkloin said:

I used lulu.com, but I'm sure there are others that are similarly priced. I looked at a few and mostly settled on lulu since their web tool was easier to use.

That's awesome. I'll take a look. Thanks!

sparkysparky California USABeta Tester Posts: 4

@porkloin said:

@ultraeverything said:

@porkloin said:

Almost worth it just to get a spiral bound version! That is the only thing I don't like about the original manual - it won't stay open while I try things out.

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

Still no fix for the spelling of "DependAnce", "DependAnt" in the Guide?

(these words are spelled "Dependence" and "Dependent" respectively)

A Find and Replace would take seconds ...