Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Relative and Absolute MIDI CC Questions

OrthesianOrthesian United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 14
edited January 2021 in Deluge Help

First post here and I have spent the last few hours trying to find an answer to this if one already actually existed. It is also possible that this is related to my MIDI controller, and not the Deluge but there are some things about the Deluge that could contribute and I cannot find answers to.

So the situation: I have a Deluge that I would like to control with an external MIDI controller to avoid the need to menu dive while playing etc. I just received my Faderfox EC4 and was able to connect it and assign MIDI controls to the Deluge in CC absolute mode. If I try setting the Faderfox to Relative CC mode, the Deluge toggles between the increment and decrement CC values that the Faderfox is sending (63, and 65 per Faderfox documentation).

The questions are:
1) In relative CC mode, if I set a value on the Deluge using one of its encoders, and then move to the Faderfox, shouldn't the value start to move from where it was set not just toggle between the two CC values?
2) If the Deluge does support relative MIDI CC are the command values it is looking for (to achieve the above desired behavior) different than what the Faderfox is delivering (CC 63 and 65)?
3) Is there some other thing happening that I did not take into account that is obvious to someone here? If so, please enlighten me.

Thanks everyone, and here is to lots of awesome Deluge creations in 2021! (seriously this thing is f'ing fantastic)

Post edited by Orthesian on

Comments

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hi, and welcome to the Deluge community!

For relative MIDI CCs, the Deluge expects to see "1" for up and "127" for down. This encoding is called "2's compliment", and I believe it is the most common for relative MIDI CCs. Does your Faderfox have a setting to make it send this?

It does have that mode, and when I tried it the Deluge went from 1 to 127 with no steps in between. Is there a setting that needs to be enabled in the Deluge for it to use this mode correctly? I will also enquire with Faderfox and see if there is something I could be missing on that end, but it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

Not sure what I messed up the first time when I tried the 1 and 127 value mode, but this time it worked perfectly right out of the gate. Thanks for the help!

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Glad to hear it worked :)

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

Hey, @Orthesian I also have an EC4 which I love using with the Deluge. Which mode are you using for incremental MIDI? Relavtive 2?

CCR1 is the mode that gives 1 and 127.