Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Allow high/low pass filter on FM synth

The filter cannot be used on the FM synth, would be good if it could.

Comments

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

True.

Would be very useful on the Ring Mod as well!

ZivZiv ColoradoPosts: 5

@six_wax said:
    Would be very useful on the Ring Mod as well!

On that note, why is Ring Mod its own synth type and not just another parameter for the Subtractive Synth?

abeldebeermusicabeldebeermusic Utrecht, The NetherlandsPosts: 6

I would love this as well, especially a high-pass filter.

abeldebeermusic.com

esreveResreveR MontrealPosts: 3

Yeah, could be nice to press the knob down to change it's function. Im on board!

TobdolyTobdoly Grenoble - FranceBeta Tester Posts: 10

+1

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Smaller request: be able to access the EQ from the gold knobs (by pressing to change) when in FM mode.

ThetimiThetimi GermanyPosts: 7

FM is additive synthesis. Low high pass filters are against this concept.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Thetimi said:

Not quite. The korg opsix has filters.
    The korg site says:

"In contrast to FM, the FILTER section follows your creation of sounds by offering analog synthesizer-like subtractive synthesis. Select from a full range of filters you want to use, from the radical MS-20 low-pass/high-pass filter, to the powerful yet soft Polysix low-pass filter that gives your sound a “vintage” feel; as well as two- or four-pole low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and band reject filters with resonance."

So is that against the concept, or a bonus ?

porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

@Thetimi said:

While of course you are correct that traditional FM doesn't require filters, but many of the most popular hardware and software FM synths available right now have this functionality. Operator, Digitone, etc are all hailed as synths that make FM more friendly and approachable, which certainly feels like it's in line with Deluge's overall approach to music making.

I guess the question is whether or not we care more about the purity of FM synthesis as an exclusively additive form of synthesis, or more about approachability and user-friendliness.

ThetimiThetimi GermanyPosts: 7

@porkloin nicely said! Totally with you on this one! User-friendliness is always top priority!

LegsMechanicalLegsMechanical United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 49

Are subtractive synths with distortion effects etc. that add harmonics an affront to god and nature?

dennydenny SlovakiaPosts: 2
    edited December 2023

Any chance to revisit this ?

Recently bought Deluge and i am super excited - lack of filters in FM synth is really only thing i am missing - but this one i am missing very hard - it’s applying filter on FM sounds which makes Digitone so special and i see same potential here..

It would not harm FM purists in any way :-)) , but it would drastically improve sonic capabilities …

Post edited by denny on
    rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608

it was once allowed in community firmware, i think the best move forward is an additional synth mode 'FM w filters' so that filter values won't affect any previous fm synths. iirc filter values are stored in fm presets but not read so it could cause issues.

dennydenny SlovakiaPosts: 2

@reza said:
    it was once allowed in community firmware, i think the best move forward is an additional synth mode 'FM w filters' so that filter values won't affect any previous fm synths. iirc filter values are stored in fm presets but not read so it could cause issues.

Yes that sounds like nobody would be hurt .. great idea .. hope somebody capable of do this will notice this, holding fingers crossed :-)