Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Keyboard Mode Step Record

NikoBellantiNikoBellanti Madison, WI Posts: 12

I think it would be a nice addition to have classic keyboard style step record (like Moog Grandmother and Korg Minilogue XD for example) - e.g. press a key in keyboard mode and it both adds that note(s) to sequence and moves automatically to next step for next incoming note(s). This is much different than the step mode now - pressing pads on and off on a grid - from a performance perspective and a compositional one as well. Just a nice additional way to input notes :)

Post edited by NikoBellanti on

Comments

bleurghbleurgh Sydney, AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 26
    edited October 2020

Is this what you want?

1 - When in Clip mode, hit Shift-Keyboard. This would bring up the same view as Keyboard mode but the flashing LED next to the Keyboard icon would indicate you are now in Step record mode.

2 - Scroll horizontally to the step you want, as indicated by the number on the display.

3 - Press one or more keys on the Keyboard (or an external MIDI keyboard) to record the note(s) to that step (or remove them from that step). Recorded keys have their LED lit up (with the colour based on velocity).

4 - Go to 2 (alternately, the next sequenced Step is automatically selected for you if you’ve opted for that in a Deluge setting.)

This would have the added benefit of allowing the Deluge to be used for (minimalist) visual animations if you hit play while in this Step record mode. Though 24FPS = 1440 BPM, assuming a step per beat.

Post edited by bleurgh on
    Quixotic7Quixotic7 Point Richmond, CABeta Tester Posts: 13

I too would love a step record mode.

I like bleurgh's shift+keyboard idea to enter the mode.

When in the mode, the top row of buttons can represent the steps and the other rows below would display the normal keyboard.

To enter a note, hold the buttons for the keys, then press a button for the step. You can then change the length of the step like you normally would for entering a note.

bleurghbleurgh Sydney, AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 26

Quixote, with my suggestion you wouldn’t even need a top row to represent the steps as the step number would be indicated on the display.

So to a enter a note you would just scroll to the step with the main dial and then whatever keys you press stay highlighted.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I like the top-row as step idea, if only b/c the graphical nature of it plays well with the Deluge. The tradeoff is losing a row of keyboard, but then you could use the red numeric display to indicate which bar/screen you're in.

How about press in the top row to select start of note, and then play keys on keyboard. Release makes a one-unit (1/16th?) step. Press another step while holding makes a longer / tied note? This would make entering more interesting rhythms quick and easy.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

the interface here seems like it could be used for anything that needs a "curve". from custom lfo shapes to re-scaling incoming midi cc messages.

thehypnotist333thehypnotist333 USABeta Tester Posts: 27

Would love step record

FrenchFrench United StatesPosts: 10

If I understand correctly this would be like the endless sequencer on the OP-1? If yes, then I would love that too!!