Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multi-Sample Instruments and Kit Sample: How many samples is too many?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it on a search. Under "normal" usage while building a song, how many samples in a kit or a multi-sample instrument can the Deluge effectively handle and load? The vast majority of the sample packs I have downloaded from 'From Mars" for example have well over 100 samples for each drum kit. So a TR-606 folder has maybe 100 recorded samples, and I want to load that folder as a kit. Another example I have is the drum sounds all from the Korg EMX-1. That is 207 samples.

I have created a few kits from these and do observe a noticeable "load time" when scrolling through kits. What is the effective upper limit here and how is the Deluge "loading" these samples? When I select a kit are they all "loaded" off the SD card into some sort of RAM? Does the deluge handle memory management where only samples triggered in the sequencer get (pre-)loaded?

Comments

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Don't have any concrete answers for ya: check out page 269 on the producer's guide/manual, might clear up the waters a bit :smile:

dinterplaydinterplay Posts: 12
    edited February 2021

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    Don't have any concrete answers for ya: check out page 269 on the producer's guide/manual, might clear up the waters a bit :smile:

Thanks, I did look at that. I suppose without going into actual testing myself, I was curious to see if anyone had any observed performance issues to be aware of. I think one main concern would be from the live performance aspect of changing projects live while the sequencer is running. If the intro for the new song was one of those large drum kits for example, would the Deluge stutter, hangup, drop audio.

For example, as you reference it says on pg 270 that the deluge will drop unplayed samples from the current song, while loading the next. But does pattern length effect that performance? How fast does the Deluge drop and make that decision and when in the pattern? If I have a 1 bar pattern or 8 bar pattern playing out, I would be curious if that effects the Deluge in a positive or negative way.

Suppose I'll just have to do some testing and see how it does.

Post edited by dinterplay on