β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Recording Automations

DiamondEyesDiamondEyes Maidenhead, UKPosts: 39

Hi All

Have trouble recording automation, perhaps I am missing something?

So I live record the automation in clip view (e.g. a filter or volume sweep) but as the clips loops over again, it starts to overwrite on the next cycle. Can't always get the timing right.

So there isn't a way to play a clip only once so I can record automation in one pass?

Comments

SHIFT + PLAY is my suggestion. Plays one clip once. If two or more clips are played then cycle stops when the longest of those clip ends.
    Hugs
    x

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

I don't get your use case. What do you mean with overwrite on the next cycle?
    It does only overwrite if you move the knob. You can't overwrite with a constant value. Deluge does a lot of smoothing for automation, I find it difficult to overwrite a recorded automation, I loose overview which recorded automation kicks in where.
    There also is step automation but it does not work for me for micro editing. Maybe works for your use case. The level of fine control I get with e.g. Cubase automation lanes is not possible by now, fair enough for a device like the Deluge, of course I wish it was possible to see and edit automation lanes on the Deluge.
    I work a lot with resetting the automation (SHIFT + push knob) instead of trying to fix a recorded automation. You could try deleting your automation, re-record, and if it is not what you want after a few cycles, repeat.

Hi

By "next cycle" I mean that play is ON when I am recording automation and the clip will repeat (cycle) unless I hit play again to stop it. Don't know how else to describe what I am saying.

Take any clip and try to record a manual automated volume sweep from 0 at the start to 100 right at the end. See if you can do it one take (cycle). I'm just all fingers and thumbs.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Okay, a volume sweep, yeah, I had some issues with that.
    You might want to try this:

• 4 bar synth clip with some notes, clip should get a volume fade at the beginning 2 bars
    • press stop
    • press record
    • turn down volume to zero
    • press play
    • record the fade in with the golden knob

it is essential to turn down to zero after pressing record.
    otherwise you set the preset value for volume and it will fall back to zero after the recorded part.

if you want better control of the end of the clip, you could try to lenghten the clip with some empty space and remove itmafter recording.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

Check this trick for recording 0-100 sweeps as fast as you want

FF to 6:40

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Amiga909 and Volsteh - many thanks for your response
    Cheers
    <3

Would be nice to actually be able to draw automation though. Just saying....

Long-press clip view and go into an 'automation draw' mode. Clip could be shown ghosted in background. Zoom in and out, navigate the clip as usual.

Each row would be an automation lane. You'd put in a node on a pad in that row and assign a value where you want a change to occur. Deluge would do the straight-line math between nodes. Can have multiple nodes at various points for subtle or extreme changes in Volume, Filter Cut-off or whatever....