Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

TAL Deluge - multisample instruments collection

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited February 2020

@amiga909 said:
    @Icoustik did you generate all XMLs with SampleRobot?
    i've noticed a few XMLs have a "cents" attributes in "sampleRanges". i think i've seen more in an earlier version of your massive collection.

for example Tal Fairlight Flute.XML
    sampleRange rangeTopNote="22" fileName="SAMPLES/Multisamples/TAL multisamples/#MORE HS/STEREO/Fairlight Flute/tal2-23-Fairlight Flute-021--a-1.wav" transpose="39" cents="-35">

as far as I understand the cents attribute is a result of the automatic Deluge pitch detection? Or did that come from SampleRobot? It seems strange to me this a1.wav file was recorded with almost half a semitone out of tune.

Thanks.

I've made most of the XML's manually. And I've tuned many patches manually so all are equally in tune - some of the samples were out of tune due to their lo-fi nature and/or the original patches on TAL had some detuned settings.
    And the Deluge detection didn't fix that, so I had to :)

I haven't had an earlier version of this collection. But other stuff I've shared might sometimes also have out of tune samples that are fixed up afterwards, like my old keyboard samples from way back were also recorded out of tune, due to me forgetting to reset it after having been used in a microtonal arrangement/ detuned sample kind of setting :)

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

thanks for the info mate

alphaminusalphaminus United StatesPosts: 44

I love these. Really good sounds. Just wish they'd load faster.

VoddoBassVoddoBass SwedenPosts: 30

This collection is wonderful! Thank you so much!!! (Highlights:Prophet 5, Fairlight)

@VoddoBass said:
    This collection is wonderful! Thank you so much!!! (Highlights:Prophet 5, Fairlight)

My pleasure brodudeman :)

elafargueelafargue CaliforniaPosts: 2

Great samples, you really did a wonderful job here, thanks for sharing!

Quick question: most samples in this pack can take up to 5 seconds to load the first time they are used after powering up the Deluge, then they will load very fast... until the next power cycle. Is that expected? Since loading time is quick after the first time, it feels like it should be possible to make this persistent across power cycles, does that make sense? Caching on SD card or similar?

@elafargue said:

Quick question: most samples in this pack can take up to 5 seconds to load the first time they are used after powering up the Deluge, then they will load very fast... until the next power cycle. Is that expected? Since loading time is quick after the first time, it feels like it should be possible to make this persistent across power cycles, does that make sense? Caching on SD card or similar?

Its because it streams all the samples from the SD :) Hopefully this can be improved in the future

@Icoustik said:

@elafargue said:

Its because it streams all the samples from the SD :) Hopefully this can be improved in the future

you think the sample load times are slow, compared to other hardware gear? of course u cant compare with PCs that have SSDs and factor x10 CPU/RAM power. SD card streaming is already a feature that is not implemented by most (afaik the use case to load a 1GB piano multisample is simply not possible in any of the major Akai, Roland, Elektron, etc. grooveboxes). of course i dont know how much room for optimization Rohan still has but it seems to be quite on the tech edge already.
    i think the only realistic room for improvement is sizing down multisamples, so the instrument still works but uses less, shorter or downsampled samples.
    i am currently experimenting with different approaches. what i can say by now is that in some cases generating XMLs manually works better when there are only a few note samples per octave than loading samples with MULTI (Deluge pitch correction algo can go wrong, the less samples, the more probable).

@amiga909
    I'm not saying the load time is bad at all, its tech edge indeed, I'm just saying it can be improved, according to the man himself.
    I'm not just talking out of my ass here :)

There's not really a substantial effect to reducing size of multisamples, unless its quite downsized, which can defeat the purpose of multisampling for many instruments anyway - and it takes CPU to pitch them across the keyboard too. Making a multisample of for example a piano with 3 samples total instead of 3 notes per octave is quite the compromise, and not really worth it in the grand scheme of things, unless you just really like that sound.
    You're right that its much easier to make a multi manually one sample at a time with such a small amount of files though.

I practically never use the pitch detection, I always use metadata. Much easier. And I frankly can't be bothered with laoding dozens of multisample notesets manually one at a time :) So no worries about probability of the mentioned problem when loading multis for me personally.

@Icoustik interesting stuff. nice to hear about optimization potential. i should stop guessing with common sense when Rohan is doing it :)
    right now i go with 16bit/44khz, good enough for me. also, i convert bass instruments to mono. xmls are generated by a script mapping named wav files to sampleRange entries. did some tests earlier to load the samples on the Deluge via file browser. most instruments sound exactly the same, so the pitch detection actually is really good. generating xmls naturally works better than pitch detection for fx sounds, chords, etc. but yeah, it may not help much reducing the overall size in MB.

edited March 2020

@amiga909
    Very good choices! 16bit is fine. Both 16 and 24 are 'native' bitrates though so no CPU compromise.
    Mono is deffo good for bass, that's a win-win. And I agree that the pitch detection is good too - I just don't like guessing when I sit down to make patches on the Deluge. I like to collect multisamples and I enjoy keeping the flow of creating sounds without disturbance I think. So that's why I rely on the metadata

Post edited by Icoustik on

Oh btw, seen this collection of free multis? Nice, obscure and quirky sounds, and lots of unique piano characters, experimental combos etc. But some samples need a bit of work, converting sample/bitrate, arranging files/folders, exporting wavs from Kontakt instruments and such

https://pianobook.co.uk/pianobook-library

wretchrowretchro laPosts: 5

these are amazing....thank you!

FrostFrost Posts: 8
    edited April 2020

Great samples, thank you very much.

By the way, I do not seem to be able to create an own Topic in the forum as I would like to share some samples too (not TAL related)

I found the following instructions, but do not find any "New" button :(

@Icoustik said:
    1. Go to the Category you want to start a thread in, then click the New button up top

Solved: Membership was not approved at the time I was trying it. Now it's working :)

Post edited by Frost on

:) :)

betzebetze LondonBeta Tester Posts: 8

Thank you so much for this

Topo_ChrisGTopo_ChrisG San FranciscoPosts: 11

This is such a treasure! Thank you for putting it together. It sounds great.

cassbobcassbob BelgiumPosts: 14

@Icoustik said:

@elafargue said:

And with a faster SD card, like Sony SF-G U3 UHS-II, could we see a improvement ?

@cassbob said:

@Icoustik said:

@elafargue said:

And with a faster SD card, like Sony SF-G U3 UHS-II, could we see a improvement ?

No, its not dependent on the SD card :)

cassbobcassbob BelgiumPosts: 14

@Icoustik said:

@cassbob said:

@Icoustik said:

@elafargue said:

No, its not dependent on the SD card :)

Ho ok i understand now thanks

JohnFowlerJohnFowler UKPosts: 1

Thanks for these, they are awesome!

jurgisjurgis vilniusBeta Tester Posts: 31

absolutely amazing pack! probably the best one I've found on this thread so far. thanks!

JACJAC UKPosts: 1

Just finished installing and auditioning a handful of these new sounds. All I can say is ‘WOW!’ Thank you for saving me (us) all the time it would have taken to produce such a catalogue. You are a Prince among men!

MetamereMetamere United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 20

Wow. Thanks so much! With this I don't feel any need to get a Yamaha Reface piano. I can just hook up any midi keys to the Deluge and have a wealth of vintage piano sounds which I had been craving. So many great sounds.

My pleasure, guys :) Its all love

edgar_sawtelleedgar_sawtelle PortugalPosts: 1

Ehi man,
    I signed up specifically to thank you.

Thank you for your work, it is fantastically appreciated!

Yo @edgar_sawtelle man,
    I signed in specifically to say thank you for signing up to thank me :smiley:

Peace!

MetamereMetamere United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 20

I didn't see any reference sheet for the instruments in the set, so here you go.

70 Synth
    70_S B Unison
    A.Juno Brass
    A.Juno Fatbrass
    A.Juno Strings
    Analog Brass
    Arp Oddyssey Bass1
    Arp-O Basslead
    Arp-O Pad
    Arp-O Superpad 2
    Arp-O Superpad
    Arp-Pro Bassoon
    Arp-Pro Trombone
    Arp-Strings Ensemble 2
    Arp-Strings Ensemble
    Arp2600 Bass1
    Arp2600 Bass2
    Arp2600 Bass4
    Arp2600 Bass5
    Arp2600 Bass6
    Crumar
    Fairlight Ac
    Fairlight Bass Pop
    Fairlight Clear Bass
    Fairlight Doublebass
    Fairlight Drums Rvb!
    Fairlight Drums!
    Fairlight El,Bass
    Fairlight Flute 2
    Fairlight Flute
    Fairlight Harmonica
    Fairlight Kalimba A
    Fairlight Kalimba B
    Fairlight Klokkespill
    Fairlight Korg Trident
    Fairlight Mallet Bars
    Fairlight Muffled Bass
    Fairlight Slap
    Fairlight Steeldrum
    Fairlight Strings
    Fairlight Synthbass A
    Fairlight Synthbass B
    Fairlight Vibes A
    Fairlight Vibes B
    Fairlight Vibes Oct
    Fairlight Vibraphone!
    Fairlight Wineglass
    Fairlight Zow-Bass
    Hammond B3 Gospel
    Hammond B3 Jazz
    Hammond M100 Jazz-0 Nice Bass!
    Hammond M100 Lowman
    Hang Am6070
    Hang Emu
    Hang S^H
    Hs Rhodes -Oct
    Hs Rhodes Hi
    Hs Rhodes Lo
    Hs Rhodes Wide Hi
    Hs Rhodes Wide Lo
    Hs Rhodes Wide Trem Hi
    Hs Rhodes Wide Trem Lo
    Hs Wurli
    Init Saw!
    Matrix
    Mellotron Brass
    Mellotron Choir
    Mellotron Strings
    Mighty
    Moog Alias Keyz
    Moog Taurus Drv
    Moog Taurus Raw
    Moog Taurus
    Moog Tri-Lead
    Moog Unibass B
    Moog Unibass C
    Moog Unibass C2
    Moog Unibass
    Moog Unibass2
    Moogbass Solid
    Moogbass!
    Moogbass7!
    Oberheim
    Pianet
    Piano Gd
    Piano
    Pianosynth 80_S
    Pro-5 Fat Pwm Rez 2
    Pro-5 Fat Pwm Rez
    Pro-5 Fat Pwm
    Pro-5 Sawpad 2
    Pro-5 Sawpad
    Pro-5 Syncpad
    Rhodes Jitter
    Rhodes
    Sq-Piano
    Syn-Hang Minitaur
    Wurli
    Xylo

raffo333raffo333 GreecePosts: 2

Great !!! just downloaded and installed as per instructions.
    I am new with the deluge, so i guess somethig i am doing wrong as i can see and play the synths but i cant see and play the samples... i am seeing only the factory ones.
    Regards
    Raf

@raffo333 said:
    Great !!! just downloaded and installed as per instructions.
    I am new with the deluge, so i guess somethig i am doing wrong as i can see and play the synths but i cant see and play the samples... i am seeing only the factory ones.
    Regards
    Raf

It doesn't sound like you're using it in the correct way :/

The samples are part of the synth presets.
    The synth preset XML files tell the Deluge what to do with the samples, provided they are located where the Deluge wants to find them, which is the file path or "address" in the preset files