Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Question: Can you overdub on a single audio track?

neddycgoonneddycgoon New ZealandPosts: 21

Hi if there is a way to do this I cant seem to work it out from the manual or fiddling around with the Deluge...I want to record part of an "audio in" loop to get the loop length set then I want to re-record onto that same loop as it loops around as you can do in any DAW...At the moment I can only do that by creating more loops is there a way to do it on the single original loop?....Any help would be appreciated cheers.

Comments

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

I don't think so. Not sure why you would want to do that though. Doesn't it give you more freedom/flexibility to have them separate?

Probably does I just dont like piling up tracks in my song structure like to keep it as small as possible.....For example I can do up to four layers on a single track building it up to where I want it.....that = 4 tracks on the Deluge....Even if I could master them down to a single track would be alright....Maybe hold shift and select each track then double tap the track you want to master down to

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Can't you record the 4 tracks with resample to a new single track?

facebook is evil

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

Yeah, as per @udeluge above, you can resample the 4 tracks down to one if that helps keep things organized for you, but then you lose any editing/separating (ie, can't affect only one of the overdubs or remove one, etc.).

NaenynNaenyn United StatesPosts: 14

I’m waiting for my Deluge to ship, so haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but I’ve also wondered about this. If you want to sample a set length from the line in and that source just happens to have a reverb, how would you capture the reverb tail? With other loopers, I’d expect it to overdub on to the beginning of the loop/sample. So, record -> overdub -> play. Is that possible? Is there a better way to do it? Maybe layer and then merge layers?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Naenyn said:
    I’m waiting for my Deluge to ship, so haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but I’ve also wondered about this. If you want to sample a set length from the line in and that source just happens to have a reverb, how would you capture the reverb tail? With other loopers, I’d expect it to overdub on to the beginning of the loop/sample. So, record -> overdub -> play. Is that possible? Is there a better way to do it? Maybe layer and then merge layers?

You'd use continuous layering overdub for capturing the reverb tail (Rec + a clip row's audition pad).
    This automatically generates consecuctive overdubs, like a typical looper would, except the clips are separate, as mentioned.
    Normal overdubbing, conversely, does one at a time per button press.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:
    You'd use continuous layering overdub for capturing the reverb tail (Rec + a clip row's audition pad).
    This automatically generates consecuctive overdubs, like a typical looper would, except the clips are separate, as mentioned.
    Normal overdubbing, conversely, does one at a time per button press.

For layering doesn't the Deluge only play back one layer at a time? If the reverb tail is a separate layer... how would playback work? It seems like you'd have to merge the layers somehow?

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I think you'd have to record two or three tracks if I understand what you want.

One that starts with no 'verb, and one that starts with the reverb tails from the end of the previous loop. Then you fire off the first one once, and can keep running the second until you're done. Do you need a third to let the tails die out too?

At some point it makes sense to record the signal clean and then add reverb later on down the road. (I do understand we've all got favorite reverbs.) But all of this is solved if you can use the Deluge's internal reverb.

Myself, in this situation, I just record the starts-with-tails-in loop and use that. The presence of early tails is much less jarring than having the tails drop out every time the loop comes around.

This will definitely be one of the first things I try once my Deluge arrives.

So is there no way to merge layers in to one individual track/audio file?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Naenyn said:
    This will definitely be one of the first things I try once my Deluge arrives.

So is there no way to merge layers in to one individual track/audio file?

Yes, you can resample the loops/ sounds i.e. consolidate them :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Your can resample/record the whole output to!

facebook is evil

edited August 2020

Thanks for the replies guys after messing around with my deluge for quite a while now I have gotten used to just layering on a track by track basis and as p_wats pointed out it is actually far better keeping them separate for control purposes...Cheers guys.
    EDIT....You can overdub as much as you want with a midi track then just feed the audio back into the Deluge to record as an audio track as a workaround....Love the flexibility of the Deluge.

Post edited by neddycgoon on

Got the deluge for a few weeks; the possibility to record / overdub on a single track (and switching from play/record/undo status with a single button press or midi command like in all live loopers) would be a GREAT feature.
    I find the spawning of the tracks not a great option.