Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge firmware V3.1.0 released

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590
edited June 2020 in News

Today we are releasing Deluge firmware V3.1.0, containing a number of new features and improvements.

Important: songs saved with V3.1 will not be readable by older firmware versions. Please back up your songs and / or save them as new files.

Download it here.

New features include:
* Default resolution for new songs is now 384th-notes (at which the max zoom level is 128th-notes). This default is double what it was before, and may be set even higher (up to 6144th-notes!) without consuming any additional CPU power
* Horizontal note nudge - hold down a note’s pad, and hold down and turn the <> knob to move the note in increments of the song’s minimum resolution unit (384th-notes default for new songs)
* Note repeat - hold down a note’s pad, and hold down and turn the vertical scroll knob to dial in more or less repeats of the note, which will be spaced as equally as possible within the time interval represented by the pad you’re holding
* Default velocity may be set. Settings menu -> DEFAults -> VELOcity
* The Deluge can now host USB hubs, allowing multiple USB MIDI devices to be connected
* The Deluge now sends MIDI to hosted USB MIDI devices. Previously it would only receive
* Jitter (timing errors) when playing to an incoming MIDI or trigger clock has been drastically reduced, especially when CPU load is heavy
* You can now mute and unmute rows of a kit while stutter is engaged
* The colours which appear on the mute/launch pads can now be changed for active, muted, stopped, and soloing rows. Settings menu -> PADS -> COLOurs

Documentation
The new features are documented in the newly updated V3.1 edition of the official Deluge guidebook.

Or to read about the new features only, an "addendum" is provided.

Installation
To install the update, place the .bin file onto your SD card, ensure there are no other .bin files on there, put the card back into your Deluge, and then hold down the shift button while powering on. A spinning animation will display, and the firmware will be permanently installed.

Please take this opportunity to back up the data from your SD card while it's in your computer. Any storage technology can fail, and we want your work to be safe regardless.

Post edited by rohan on

Comments

henleybhenleyb United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 18

Awesome, great work thanks!

MendMusicMendMusic RomaniaPosts: 11

Super work <3 thank you!
    please don't forget about the EQ with more bands people mentioned here in the past

CarlJohnFranzCarlJohnFranz United KingdomPosts: 10

Sweet, thanks!

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Thank you Rohan and Ian and team for this continued labor of love!
    Continually impressed.

fatbenjaminfatbenjamin United KingdomPosts: 2

Thanks so much for this. An amazing update that blows open all sorts of possibilities. Thank you for all your hard work! 😍

NyankoNyanko FrancePosts: 8

Haven't received my deluge yet but I am looking forward to use these new features!

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

3 Cheers for Rohan and team! B) B)

kilroykilroy CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 25

I just got my Deluge Friday, more features already?!

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

Wow! I am really excited about the new features. Thank you for continuously doing an excellent job!!!

Brass side of life: JTK

ThetimiThetimi GermanyPosts: 7

Thanks so much! Great features!

jpakaercjpakaerc FrancePosts: 14

thanks !!

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

Fantastic! I wish I could send you a beer. :)

Can't get enough of those 6144th notes! Like, literally. You can't get enough of them to even fill up half a screen...

BonatiBonati NYCPosts: 8

Amazing commitment to this lil' box - thank you!

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

Wow - that's a lot of functionality packed into a point upgrade. Thank you!!!

I've been heavily in my tape loop and analog world for a month or two - fired up the Deluge and boom! an OS update appears just when I need it! 2 years on still blown away by your amazing unit! particularly as it will CV a VCS 3 without building awkward voltage interfaces!

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

There seems to be a bug with the note repeat.

If you place a note and extend it longer than 1 grid pad, then set the note repeat, the note gets truncated to one grid pad and the repeats all happen within 1 division of the current zoom level. I was expecting the repeats to divide the length of the note by the number of repeats, which would be more musically useful? Am I missing something or is this a bug?

I'm not a member of the testers group on FB so can't report it.

Mr_ForkMr_Fork North DakotaPosts: 59

@neilbaldwin said:

If you place a note and extend it longer than 1 grid pad, then set the note repeat, the note gets truncated to one grid pad and the repeats all happen within 1 division of the current zoom level. I was expecting the repeats to divide the length of the note by the number of repeats, which would be more musically useful? Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Yeah I noticed this as well. The manual says that it’s supposed to evenly distribute the repeats across the selected note but that doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment. I believe mine reverts to a base of a 16th note and then makes the divisions from there.

jonathanjonathan New ZealandPosts: 11

Boom! Wicked. Ace. Choice. Primo. Keen. Sweet. From Dunedin.
    And thank you.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I just downloaded the 3.1 update and, looking in my Deluge folder, I realized this is the 15th update you've released since I bought the Deluge two years ago. Amazing. Thank you!

BenBen Albuquerque, NM, USABeta Tester Posts: 7
    edited June 2020

@Mr_Fork said:

@neilbaldwin said:

Yeah I noticed this as well. The manual says that it’s supposed to evenly distribute the repeats across the selected note but that doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment. I believe mine reverts to a base of a 16th note and then makes the divisions from there.

Interestingly, this appears to be a maximum note length along which the note can be repeated. I tried making a 2-bar pattern, and zoomed out to 8th notes, and it still defaulted to repeating based on a single 16th note - however, the same issue does not persist in smaller notes, so if I zoom in to 32nd notes, the note is repeated properly (3/32nd notes, for instance) and does not get stretched out to 16th notes.

Aside from this one bug, however, phenomenal update! I’m definitely looking forward to playing with the MIDI via USB hub feature when the USB A -> B adaptor I ordered off eBay arrives.

Post edited by Ben on
    enigmasoundsenigmasounds UKPosts: 1

Thanks, guys and looking forward to all those repeats :-)...keep up the great work.

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73
    edited June 2020

@neilbaldwin said:

You can and should report bugs here so @rohan can fix them, preferably in a separate thread.

Post edited by llexam on
    RedpandaRedpanda BerlinPosts: 21

Thank you all for the effort you put in and the innovation you put out into the world with this beautiful machine that brought me back to making music <3 An awesome update again!

xsterxster San FranciscoPosts: 22

Default velocity! Yeah!!!

IanSainsburyIanSainsbury United KingdomPosts: 2

Note nudge...wow, thank you!

@llexam said:

@neilbaldwin said:

You can and should report bugs here so @rohan can fix them, preferably in a separate thread.

Which is the correct section to report bugs so that they get seen?

Praemolar24Praemolar24 DeutschlandPosts: 21

Can the Deluge now conected to class compliant devices like the OP-1 ?!

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73

@neilbaldwin said:>

I would post bug reports here:
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/categories/deluge-questions-feedback

Also, it's helpful to tag rohan within the message so that he is alerted, like this:
    @rohan

@llexam said:

@neilbaldwin said:>

I would post bug reports here:
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/categories/deluge-questions-feedback

Also, it's helpful to tag rohan within the message so that he is alerted, like this:
    @rohan

Thank you :smile:

recursorrecursor UKPosts: 33

Nice, thanks guys!