Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Which synth preset gets used when creating a new Synth Track?

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

I recently deleted all of the presets in the SYNTH folder (and the Kit presets from the KITS folder) which led to all sorts of interesting issues when trying to create new tracks. The main one is that the Deluge won't let you create a second new track (it creates an empty one from boot up it seems) if you don't have any Synth presets so you can't really do anything apart from the one pre-created Synth track. You can try to duplicate it (but that leads to other issues) and you can also try to save the Synth as a preset which then allows you to create a new empty track. However, it's not very obvious what the Deluge uses as the basis of a new empty track. It's not based on the name of the preset so it seems it's based on the creation time/date? Anyone shed some light on it?

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Yeah, at least 1 Synth and Kit preset is needed for operation.
    What do you get as a first preset?
    I deleted the “0” preset long ago, and never bothered. not sure my best guess is its the same alphanumerical sorting the D usually does. I dont think it is creation date as the D does not store files with date meta information, they all date back to 1970, which means they have no timestamp.

@amiga909 said:
    Yeah, at least 1 Synth and Kit preset is needed for operation.
    What do you get as a first preset?
    I deleted the “0” preset long ago, and never bothered. not sure my best guess is its the same alphanumerical sorting the D usually does. I dont think it is creation date as the D does not store files with date meta information, they all date back to 1970, which means they have no timestamp.

With no Synth presets you still get the low pass sawtooth synth (presest 0 as we've all come to know).

See, I thought the same as you - Deluge doesn't do timestamp but it certainly doesn't seem like it's alphanumeric sorting as I accidentally saved a synth preset as '2' and then went back and saved another one as '0' and it's '2' that gets loaded as a new preset. Can't figure it out.

Also because Synths and Kits are saved as part of the song, it sort of messes with the preset system a bit as it seems to kind of know you've got Synths (and Kits?) saved somewhere so it sort of screws with the numbering. It's really hard to explain. I'd encourage you to try it if you have a spare SD card. Maybe you can see something that I can't...

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Do you get sorting problems with a Song init?

Maybe what you experience is related to the fact presets are saved as part of the song and there is a global namespace and a song namespace, I proposed to prefix all song namespace presets with a '.' to make it more clear.

I dont experience song and global namespaces as a sorting problem. What I dont like is there is no way to load a preset as it is stored on the SD card if the preset is already used in a Song, I can only choose the Song version (via load "clone").

Thats my perspective on this. Better dont take my word and send a bug report.

@amiga909 said:
    Do you get sorting problems with a Song init?

Maybe what you experience is related to the fact presets are saved as part of the song and there is a global namespace and a song namespace, I proposed to prefix all song namespace presets with a '.' to make it more clear.

I dont experience song and global namespaces as a sorting problem. What I dont like is there is no way to load a preset as it is stored on the SD card if the preset is already used in a Song, I can only choose the Song version (via load "clone").

Thats my perspective on this. Better dont take my word and send a bug report.

I think what I'm experiencing is definitely related to the preset-in-a-song quirk. Certainly seems like there could be some improvement there. I've not quite got my head around what's going on enough to suggest anything though! :)