Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB MIDI Foot Controller

2

Comments

  • 0
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

    I signed up on the waiting list in july and I’m still waiting. To be fair, I became impatient and signed up on the waiting list again in november. That might have bumped me way down on the list. Oh well I can still loop. Just gotta be super fast with my hands :)

  • 0
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

    I have build a MIDI Foot Controller myself. Arduino Micro Clone that sends MIDI-Note Messages over USB. Tried it first with ControlerChange Messages but these can't be assigned for the global loop functions. 3 Footswitches that send two different Notes on Short Press and Hold. Loop, Layer, Rec on Short Press. Redo, Undo, Rest on Hold. Maby I add a 4th for TapTempo and Play but I have no casing that fit four Switches.

    facebook is evil

  • 0
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

    I'm loving the looper function on the Deluge so much. But I'm about to go crazy waiting for the midi foot controller. Has anyone tried this one? It seems very similar to Synthstrom:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ActitioN-4-Button-USB-MIDI-Footswitch-Foot-Controller-for-PC-Mac-iPad/323760820399?hash=item4b61a610af:g:mIUAAOSw-kdX0nKf

  • 0
    NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80

    @moonroom said:
    I'm loving the looper function on the Deluge so much. But I'm about to go crazy waiting for the midi foot controller. Has anyone tried this one? It seems very similar to Synthstrom:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ActitioN-4-Button-USB-MIDI-Footswitch-Foot-Controller-for-PC-Mac-iPad/323760820399?hash=item4b61a610af:g:mIUAAOSw-kdX0nKf

    That is the Synthstrom one, (more accurately, Actition make the ones Synthstrom are selling, made in collaboration) though be aware that there is apparently a slight software difference between the standard actition one and the one actition are making for Synthstrom. Don't know what that difference is but could be significant. Having said that, I can't see why the standard one wouldn't work.

  • 0
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

    @NRuck said:

    @moonroom said:
    I'm loving the looper function on the Deluge so much. But I'm about to go crazy waiting for the midi foot controller. Has anyone tried this one? It seems very similar to Synthstrom:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ActitioN-4-Button-USB-MIDI-Footswitch-Foot-Controller-for-PC-Mac-iPad/323760820399?hash=item4b61a610af:g:mIUAAOSw-kdX0nKf

    That is the Synthstrom one, (more accurately, Actition make the ones Synthstrom are selling, made in collaboration) though be aware that there is apparently a slight software difference between the standard actition one and the one actition are making for Synthstrom. Don't know what that difference is but could be significant. Having said that, I can't see why the standard one wouldn't work.

    Thanks for your thorough answer. The "slight software difference" will make me wait a bit longer for the Synthstrom pedal. I was suprised by how smooth the looper in the Deluge is. Even if I run my guitar through loads of reverb and delay and then straight into the Deluge, there will be no clicks or pops when it is looping. There must be some kind of automatic crossfade applied I guess. Great stuff.

  • 0
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

    @moonroom the foot controller on ebay sends only ProgrammChange and ControlChange Messages. The looper function of the deluge needs Note On/Off messages.

    facebook is evil

  • 0
    moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

    @udeluge said:
    @moonroom the foot controller on ebay sends only ProgrammChange and ControlChange Messages. The looper function of the deluge needs Note On/Off messages.

    Thanks man. I'll just have to keep waiting then. Can't be long now.

  • 0
    six_waxsix_wax Posts: 38

    Agreed... Been on the list for quite a while.

    Would love an update on the status of it from the team!

  • 0
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

    @six_wax said:
    Agreed... Been on the list for quite a while.

    Would love an update on the status of it from the team!

    It's a very hard thing to give any definite reports or ETAs on as we work with another company on them and are at the mercy of their production, but we're still trucking through the list.

  • 0

    @Ian_Jorgensen said:

    @six_wax said:
    Agreed... Been on the list for quite a while.

    Would love an update on the status of it from the team!

    It's a very hard thing to give any definite reports or ETAs on as we work with another company on them and are at the mercy of their production, but we're still trucking through the list.

    Oh, ok... Just seeing this. Sigh. Guess the wait continues.

    Will something like this that sends note on/off work?
    https://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI-over-Controller/dp/B002YL81RW

  • 0
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

    We're doing real well to be honest. We've now caught up with at least the first 5 months of people who signed up to the wait list. The crew are smashing it. There was just an overwhelming demand.

  • 0
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

    I received my footswitch quite a while ago now. It's really nice, good build quality, easy to setup and use. The switches step through processes rather than just switching on/off one MIDI function which is very cool and makes looping simple. Thanks Synthstrom and ActitioN, great job!

  • 0
    RobbymustRobbymust Kaitaia, New ZealandPosts: 25

    @pfrf said:
    I received my footswitch quite a while ago now. It's really nice, good build quality, easy to setup and use. The switches step through processes rather than just switching on/off one MIDI function which is very cool and makes looping simple. Thanks Synthstrom and ActitioN, great job!

    Hi pfrf can you explain what you mean by step through processes and is there a section on the foot controller in the manual as I cannot find anything about it , maybe I'm blind , cause I am so dumb need a description of how to install it and how to use the functions once it is installed , the only thing I have been able to find is a video on assigning midi controller by Ron Cavagnaro
    regards fellow Deluges

  • 0
    RobbymustRobbymust Kaitaia, New ZealandPosts: 25

    forgot to ask how do you use the pedal input in the foot controller , does this mean you can connect an expression pedal and if so what can you use it for and how

  • 0
    AllfxAllfx AustraliaPosts: 11

    @NRuck said:

    @Spacebat said:
    I'm actually thinking of getting one of these instead. Any reason why it would not work for live looping on Delige when playing a guitar with both hands?
    https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/12-step/

    I think you'd be better off with the softstep, the 12 step is designed as foot-based keyboard while the softstep is more of a general purpose controller.

    Did you manage to get that working? ive been pulling hair out trying to get the softstep 2 to work with deluge!

  • 0
    NaenynNaenyn United StatesPosts: 14

    Hm.. if the Deluge requires midi note messages for its looping functionality, maybe the KMI 12 step would be better than the softstep?

  • 0
    NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80

    @Allfx said:

    @NRuck said:

    @Spacebat said:
    I'm actually thinking of getting one of these instead. Any reason why it would not work for live looping on Delige when playing a guitar with both hands?
    https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/12-step/

    I think you'd be better off with the softstep, the 12 step is designed as foot-based keyboard while the softstep is more of a general purpose controller.

    Did you manage to get that working? ive been pulling hair out trying to get the softstep 2 to work with deluge!

    Hi. sorry. Not been able to log in here for a good while. I don't have a softstep, I was just suggesting it as an option. I have the official Sythstrom footswitch. Looking at the Softstep manual online it does say it can send note data. I guess the issue is that it is not latching but momentary?

  • 0
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61
    edited June 2020

    I have build my one and you only need to send a note on command. Not sure if the velocity is important but I have used 64. Zero is the same as note off.

    Have you "learned" the buttons on deluge? To check what your pedal is sending, use https://hexler.net/products/protokol.

    Post edited by udeluge on

    facebook is evil

  • 0
    neddycgoonneddycgoon New ZealandPosts: 21

    Just wondering if the official foot switch will make it into the accessories area of the Deluge store and if so is there any sort of deadline for that to happen?

  • 0
    silolynxsilolynx Bremerton, WAPosts: 1

    Hello, I just purchased a deluge and have begin researching foot controllers. Is there a link to the wait list for the synstrom midi foot controller? The only page I can find seems to be password protected...

    Thanks :)

  • 1
    blassnerblassner USAPosts: 5

    There used to be an email to sign up for a wait list. The foot switch is fantastic and really makes a huge difference in work flow if you're a guitarist or keyboard player interested in life looping. I hope they bring back the wait-list. The only other pedal I was able to get working properly was a Zoia. But probably any programmable midi switch would work. I would avoid usn midi switches though as I couldn't get any beside the official one to function properly.

  • 0
    neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143
  • 0
    lordofallbadgerslordofallbadgers Southwest UKPosts: 14

    Hey @Ian_Jorgensen any chance you can shed some light on where the footswitch story is? I'd like one, but it's a bit confusing as to know if we can order one/get on a list? Hate pushing - but I really want one, even tho I'm a patient bunny!

  • 0
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277
    edited September 2021

    For anyone looking for a good footswitch: This one was released last month. I DON'T HAVE THIS and so I haven't been able to test it. But it looks promising. (Though I absolutely hate the fact that one needs to use an app to configure it - for which you will need to set up an account to sign into, possibly sending your data to china). The only question I still haven't been able to get an answer to is wether it can be configured to send midi notes instead of cc or pc, which would be necessary to work with the deluge.
    https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/controlers/Ampero Control

    Post edited by Heptagen on
  • 0
    lordofallbadgerslordofallbadgers Southwest UKPosts: 14

    Ampero seem a good lot - but who knows. Their guitar FX board was received well (though it's up against headrush, line6 etc)

  • 0
    nilscreatesnilscreates nelson, nzBeta Tester Posts: 28

    If anyone's looking for a nice USB cable for their controller, try https://mechcables.com/ - i just ordered mine, in a funky colour and thought I'd share. Never knew i could be that excited about a cable, haha.

    I had a bit of a very hard time finding a quality USB-B to USB-B cable to connect my snazzy Synthstrom foot controller - for some reason these don't seem to be very common at all in NZ, especially in longer lengths. My exisiting cable (possibly the one that came with the switch?) had a wobbly connection which really messed up my deluge to the point of a nasty freeze and meant I couldn't really use it yet.

  • 1

    To anyone who wants to buy the original synthstrom midi foot controllers: This guy is the original manufacturer and in fact he still sells them for 70€ + shipping (just without the synthstrom branding).

    On reverb:
    https://reverb.com/shop/actitions-boutique

    Homepage:
    https://www.actition.co.uk/

  • 0
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

    I think this one doesn't send midi notes, so it doesn't work with the deluge.

    facebook is evil

  • 0
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

    @udeluge are you talking about the actition one? He has a firmware that does. If you don't believe me just send him an email and ask him like I did, he is a nice dude 😉

  • 1
    Soon_ForgetSoon_Forget USAPosts: 18

    I followed Heptagen's advice and ordered the Actition pedal. I emailed and confirmed the initial run is complete. Took about two weeks to ship to the United States from Hungary. The guy was prompt in returning emails with questions.

    I had signed up for notification last spring for the official footswitch but had not heard anything ... and the link for sign-up is no longer there so there don't appear to be any plans for a second run, but that is speculation on my part.

Sign In or Register to comment.